Squeaky clean not stinky Keens!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
So I'm not certain if I'm the only sufferer of the stinky Keen sandal syndrome. But I seem to be able to only wear my Keens 2-3 time before I want to wash them. My feet do sweat, but I'm not a heavy sweater soo not sure. I do notice I see alot of skin that rubs off the bottom of my feet I guess or it good be a combo of dirt and skin. Anyhow back on track anyone else have stink foot cause of your Keens? What do you do?

Aaron

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Your post made me laugh... Thanks!

I get stink foot on all my shoe's, sandals, and boots. I have found that liberal use of Gold Bond powder works, at least for me. Beware the powder is slippery as all hell on tile floor.:oops:

It should be interesting to see what works for others.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I try for a laugh when possible. I'll try the powder and see what happens. When I wear shoes, socks are cycling socks and when I wear boots I love wool socks they seem to wick really well but maybe I'm just nuts. Remember in FL it is humid as all heya.

Aaron

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
xcmountain80 said:
I try for a laugh when possible. I'll try the powder and see what happens. When I wear shoes, socks are cycling socks and when I wear boots I love wool socks they seem to wick really well but maybe I'm just nuts. Remember in FL it is humid as all heya.

Aaron

Wicking socks help too... Running socks work well but look funny with sandals.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I don't care what the temp if I have to wear socks with sandals I will wear boots. I don't do socks and sandals its just not right.

Aaron

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Normally my feet and shoes are approachable but I've found if I wear only tevas or similar sandals for more than a couple of weeks the soles of my feet turn black and smell exceptionally nasty, despite regularly washing. Now I tend to wear either boaters and no socks or trail runners and non-cotton socks.

Having said that, I'm experimenting with reef flip-flops, that have a bottle opener conveniently located in the sole, and they've been fine in the weekend long doses I've tried.

Cheers,
Graham

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I own a a few pairs of Chaco sandals and dont have this problem. The black foot is slightly weird my wife looks at me funny. The only technical difficulty I saw with those cool reefs was what if you stepped in some poop. Awwwww poop beer cap.

Aaron

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
just got a pair of keen h20, after 3 days of humid summer days, my sandels smelled like somthing died in them..well I stuck them in the dish washer, no heated dry cycle...smell like roses again:arabia:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
IZZYDUSIT said:
just got a pair of keen h20, after 3 days of humid summer days, my sandels smelled like somthing died in them..well I stuck them in the dish washer, no heated dry cycle...smell like roses again:arabia:

Now my wife is patient with me washing cv parts in sink but I dunno if I could get away with stinky shoes in the dish washer! I do wash them in the washing machine every other week. But I still love my keens stinky or not they are versatile.

Aaron

viatierra

Explorer
Dude! I SUFFER from the stinky Keens. :eek:
If I wear them all day, odor is seeping out of them by that afternoon. They are pretty enclosed with all that absorbant spongy material... I pulled them out of the washing machine this morning and still are a bit unpleasant. I wash the after every 2-3 wears too, but it isn't enough. It's too bad because they are so comfy and I get regular complements about them.

I have to admit that I do have particularly sweaty feet. I hope its not genetic or my daughter is going to have a rough future with shoes.

I do the powder. I wash them regularly. I'm eager for other suggestions too!

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
The funny thing about it is that my Keens specifically say on the inner sole "Anti Odor Footbed" Yea right......

Lucky for me my wife shares the same "stink foot syndrome" as I do, so I don't get any complaints. I still love the Keens tho....

TeleScooby

Adventurer
Couple of comments:

This thread is hilarious!

Keens - The upper is lined with Neoprene, so using an enzyme wash meant for cleaning wet suits is the only way to truly 'destinkify' them

Use a pumice stone on your feet. I don't care what you think about pumice stones, they freakin work for scrubbing the dead skin off of sandal feet. I wear Chacos 24/7 ~300 days a year and the only things that save me from severe stink foot are my Chaco pumice stone, and the fact that you can toss Chacos in the washing machine and they come out sparkly and clean!

All that said, for flipflops, look at Olukai (specifically the Kekai), I'm wearing them right now, and after 3 weeks they still smell like new (and trust me, my coworkers would not hold back if they didn't!)

Sheesh...I just read this post and realized what a foot/boot/Chaco geek I've become...working as a boot fitter for 2 years will do that to ya!

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Wow I've tried every kind of tech was but didnt try my wetsuit stuff. Sweet my wife will be so happy, and my dog will be said . Cayman (Vizsla pup) loves the stinky keens.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94