GPS or Computer?

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Well I am looking for the ultimate solution for my GPS/Rear Camera monitor/DVD player, you name it I am interested in it. The problem limited space! With the purchase of my new Jeep 4 Door JK I am looking for a solution to my problem. I have read a ton so far, everything from installing a Mac Mini, a laptop, to spliting things up and using a Garmin for my GPS a Total Vision setup for the backup camera/DVD player. I guess I am just trying to throw this out there so maybe someone has come across a new product or idea. My last idea was to get a Garmin 7200. It has a 7" touch screen that I can adapt with rear view camera's and also hook up my in dash DVD player to it. Here is a link to one installed in a Jeep Jk http://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12629 The only problem I have with this unit is it is a streetpilot and will not accept downloads of birdcrumb trails. I want the ability to download the Baja 1000 map into the GPS. So far Garmin says it can't be done. Well before I go and drop $800.00 on another GPS I thought I would look for some advise. Thanks in advance.

Ruffin' It

Explorer
Carputer

This is the solution I'm working towards. Depending on what you want to put into it you can run your GPS, view DVD's, access the internet, store and view/listen to TV/music through your car's stereo, and even run diagnostics for your vehicle. In the end it isn't really much more expensive than buying a laptop and mounting it (trust me, I went the laptop route and wish I hadn't).
There are lots of configuration options and, best of all, you can hide the majority of the equipment to minimize potential theft.

http://store.mp3car.com/default.asp?&click=11279&gclid=CI_I5panlI4CFSHahgodSVS9ew

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I am running a couple of setups and still trying to find out what I really like...
so far I am very happy with my ebay found toughbook ($300) playing dvd's and running oziexplorer with a gps mouse..I also use iguidance for street nav when the laptop is in the rig for offroading/trips..
Otherwise I have a bluetooth gps I run with my treo 700wx and iguidance for streeet and beeline for geocaching (thinking of adding ozi ce for a try)...I have lots of mp3's on my 4gig card patched into the FJC stereo (also nice for phone calls using the truck speakers)..
So far this setup is working very well except for the size of the laptop in front of the passenger...but it means I can take it out for anti-theft and the kids can watch dvd's anywhere at camp.
Keep us posted on the installs you guys do so we can all learn :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier