Carrying Two Spare Tires

UncleChris

Adventurer
I did on one trip through Northern Nevada in the Cherokee.

Had one on the rear bumper and I put the other one on the roof rack.

Although I didn't need either of them, it was good to have 2 just in case.

Westy

Adventurer
I think it depends alot on the quality of tires you are running and the purpose of your travels.

2 spares is probably way overkill in most cases except for those who like the high speed desert off roading. I know people in the hardcore rock crawling crowd that dont even carry a spare because they are so confident of the tires they are running, like the TSL/SX for example which has nearly industructable sidewalls.

Now, on an extended expedition, even across light-moderate terrain it would be foolish not to have a spare but on a local trail it would be much less of an issue of course. Quality tires can go a long ways and handle alot of abuse.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I carry two spares. Why? Dunno, maybe I'm just paranoid! One reason is that I got my matching second spare tire for like $10 brand new from someone getting rid of stuff in a shop.

When I was 17 I traversed southern Utah in my FJ40 with some friends for about 2+ weeks. There was a gal with us who was driving a Bronco II that had two tire blow outs. We used someone else's spare tire on it. Personally, I've never had two flats, but I have seen it happen on long treks. I honestly don't remember the brand tire; I know I had BFG ATs at the time and at least that trip didn't run flat.

I always carry spares for anything that reasonably wears and would reasonably prevent me from limping home. 2 starters, 2 batteries, and 2 spare tires. I need a spare used alternator ;-)

+ d

Adventurer
pskhaat said:
...2 starters, 2 batteries, and 2 spare tires. I need a spare used alternator...

careful, the more spares you carry the more spares you'll need!

:elkgrin:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
A spare tire weighs a ton. I tend to agree with what Westy was saying - unless you really anticipate the need for some reason (lava or shale terrain, or off-road racing) OR if you have a GVWR that will easily support it, I think it's too much of a weight penalty. I also prefer to replace tires when they get down to about 50% tread remaining.

You can also reduce your risk by carrying lots of tire repair patches, plugs and tools. Even an inner tube if you feel like it.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
When I travelled over the Rubicon trail a couple years ago (with a group of 8 or 9 jeeps), we were down to one 33" spare by the end of day #1....that is one spare between the 4 jeeps running that size. With the remoteness of that trail, 2 spares isn't a bad idea at all. IMO, expedition travel is in the same boat.

I have considered carrying one spare, and one tube that I could stuff in a tire if needed. I know that the tubeless tires don't really like having a tube inside them....but it may be a *realistic* option to carrying a 2nd spare. While I certainly wouldn't want to put alot of miles on that tube...it would be better than walking out....thoughts?

Westy

Adventurer
Bajataco made some good points as well. Extra weight, no good. More weight can equate to more stress on other parts of the vehicle. Extra spares mean finding akward or bad places to mount them such as the roof or a rack up high - keep that weight low.

x2 -
Patches and plugs are a GREAT item to have along.

Brian

Scott Brady

Founder
Yeah, the weight of the tube and required irons might not be that great of an advantage.

Solo Expeditions= Two tires
Group trips= One spare

On this last trip there were 7 vehicles with the same lug pattern...

I have an extra spare for each vehicle. For my Jeep I use a 33x9.5 and for my Taco I have a matching second spare.

60seriesguy

Adventurer
Remote trips? No doubt, two spares. There were areas in the Northwestern Amazon where the roads are covered with quartz and tires get shredded, not punctured. Most people carry two spares and at least one tube and patches, and that's not overkill.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I've been using one and its on my basket as I found the spare under the back of the 80's tends to get hung up on things. Also a 33 was a tight squeeze there anyway. I've thought about bringing 2 spares on some trips but haven't yet. The spare I keep on the roof is a 33x9.50 which is a bit more compact when laying flat and lighter as well. If I needed to, I'd throw an extra 33x9.50 on top if a trip needed it. Most of the stuff I do is solo, so I like to be a bit overprepared.

paulj

Expedition Leader
The Dempster in the Yukon has a reputation for being hard on tires. Many blame the shale roadbed - slivers of the rock work their way into the tread. I've even read speculation that bald tires are better, since they are less likely to pick up those slivers.

paulj

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have 2, but have only ever carried one spare, even through baja or in areas with extensive, tire slicing shale deposits.

My theory is to get five of the best tires I can (BFG MTs, IMHO...) and have them in very good condition prior to a big trip. I carry patches, plugs and air just in case.....

-H-

CLynn85

Explorer
Also, as scott said, it depends on who's running with you. If you're in a group that has the same size/lug pattern, it'd be far less of a concern than if you were running in a group that had a variety of vehicles with different bolt patterns and sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles