Colorado in Mid November?

If we cant find another person to go to Mexico with us, we are planning to go to Colorado. I'm interested in bagging a few of the passes... but which would be possible during mid November? I've been to Colorado once, in the summer time...

I'd like to do as much off pavement driving as possible, with the best vistas, lakes, mtns, ghost towns, etc. that are accessible by a mostly stock vehicle (see my sig line) with only all terrains. Could anyone make any decent recomendations? Plan on camping.

Anyone want to meet up?

Thanks for the help.
Scott

durangodds

Adventurer
You could bag Molas, Coal Bank....you know, any of them with pavement. For those of us who live here I hope you can't bag any of the others, because we need the water and I love to ski. But seriously, you won't be able to do any of the ones you're thinking of, they'll all be closed.

durangodds said:
You could bag Molas, Coal Bank....you know, any of them with pavement. For those of us who live here I hope you can't bag any of the others, because we need the water and I love to ski. But seriously, you won't be able to do any of the ones you're thinking of, they'll all be closed.

Should i plan on snow chains for lower elevations or anything? What might I expect weather wise for that time of year? Sory, I don't know much at all about Colorado.... or anything outside of Louisiana in the cold part of the year....

Thanks

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
LaOutbackTrail said:
Should i plan on snow chains for lower elevations or anything?

Depends on what you plan to be doing. In the high country you likely won't be able to get too high without too much snow, but depending on the year and the possible warm weather you can still get up to some pretty cool areas. You'll likely not need chains but I'd sure suggest it if you part ways from maintained roads.

What might I expect weather wise for that time of year?

You could have a high in the 50s/60s or a high in the 20s. I would expect nighttime in the high teens to low 30s and days from low 30s to high 40s, just starting to get on the chilly side for camping.

IMO, most of the off-road season has come to a close, but as said there's some good back roads that you can take to go snowshoeing and hiking, etc.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Yea - by the end of this month, the snow will start flying in the mountains and the scenic wheeling will come to a close soon after that. By mid-November, ski areas are trying to open up, and your off road options are very limited.

durangodds

Adventurer
It's been really warm here lately so all the roads are still open. We haven't had any snow, but we usually get our first snow in the last 2 weeks of September sometime. You won't need chains for the paved roads and they'll gate most of the roads to keep them from getting too torn up.

If you were planning on heading to the southwest part of the state (the San Juans) you might be better served to keep on heading over to the Moab area. It's only 2.5 hours further (from Durango) and will be perfect at that time of the year.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Over on Colo4x4.org someone told me that Imogene Pass is plowed in the Winter. Don't know if it's plowed all the way, and I think I'd probably not want to hit any pass that has cliffs or shelf roads if the road is apt to be slippery, even if it was plowed.

I generally try to stay within walking distance of a paved road in deep winter, but at least up here on the Front Range we generally don't get our big snows until December. November is often cold and sometimes rainy or sleet-y.

Scott, if you're planning on camping in November, make sure you have a good sleeping bag. Temps can easily drop below zero at high altitudes that time of year. Hell, I went camping back in June just north of Creede, at an altitude of just over 10,000' and I'll bet the temperature dropped into the mid-30's at night. Again, this was in June. Think about what November might be like.

One other consideration is that November is right in the middle of the Elk hunting season. So almost any area that is accessible by vehicle is likely to have lots of elk hunters running around.

Pskhaat

durangodds said:
...better served to keep on heading over to the Moab area...

Couldn't agree more, it's a lot longer of a trip way out there, but very good and empty season for hitting the trails.

Pskhaat

Willman said:
Hey pskhaat......you coming?....somebody gotta keep the family
Wish I could. Getting darned soon to baby's delivery date so I'm a layin' low for many a moon come November, preparing yet and then again for the endless sleepless nights pacing the halls with 7-15lbs of crying love in my arms.

Willman

pskhaat said:
Wish I could. Getting darned soon to baby's delivery date so I'm a layin' low for many a moon come November, preparing yet and then again for the endless sleepless nights pacing the halls with 7-15lbs of crying love in my arms.

Right on!

:av-7:

Willman said:
LaOutbackTrail,

Your Welcome to join us in Moab the first weekend:)

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6970

Hey pskhaat......you coming?....somebody gotta keep the family entertained on the CB:shakin:

I don't think I'd make Moab. Thats probably 20hours of driving in itself.... Not to mention, I dont have lockers....

What can yall say about lower elevation driving? Our alterior motive is to visit a few grad schools for my wife. I also wanted to hit Colorado Springs for sure and of course the major sites around that area... That should be doable, no? I especially wanted to go to the Great Sand Dunes and garden of the gods.
Comments?

Pskhaat

Garden of the Gods is no issue. Dunes will (should) also be fine (and suggested), though Medano pass thereabove may not be in shape.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Medano pass is gated and I assume it will be closed, though you can check with the park rangers to find out. Actually, should be a great time to do Medano (unless it's buried under snow) because most of the water crossings should be way down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier