Trans-Am Trail-Summer 2007

CLynn85

Explorer
Trans-Am Trail-Summer 2007 - Postponed Indefinitely

A few of you have probably heard of this before, but here's the site in case you haven't: http://www.transamtrail.com/index.html.

The trail is designed for DS Motorcycles, but a large majority of the trails are 2-tracks, forrest roads, jeep trails, etc. Some are simply public dirt roads, a bit of pavement where necessary for bypasses and linking up to trails, and stops in the city. Also are some famous trails out west, engineer pass and others included. I plan on ordering the complete map set and seeing what areas need to be considered for bypasses and stops, camping, etc. Also, once I get out west, there's the possibility of taking a few detours to visit some of the spots I so frequently read and drool over on this forum, as well as potentially meeting other members from the other shore. Along the way there are places to camp, but the fact that most of these are by-ways means that there are hotels and gas/food stops along the way, so if self-sufficiency fails and I want to spend a night in a hotel to clean up and have a break, it's not a big deal. I would however like to avoid civilization as much as possible. Following the exact route isn't a necessity, but that's TBD once I get the maps and have a chance to start planning it out a little better.

I graduate Spring '07, and decided that I want to tackle this before I return to NAVSEA to pay-back my co-op. Hopefully by then my Jeep is more equipped for extended travel (see the pop-up camper idea I've been working on). I also plan on taking several small trips between now and then to test my setup and see what works and what doesn't before tackling a long-range trip. I've never been west past oklahoma, and that was the only time I've really been out west at all, so I guess I have a bit of a manifest destiny in that I want to make it to the Pacific coast and bask in the glory.

I know it's a long ways off but figured I'd go ahead and get the idea out there and maybe some ideas flowing. I'd also like to be able to open this up to all who'd like to join. Either east-coasters heading west or anyone out west who'd like to join up with us.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Good info Carl!

The Trans-American trail looks very interesting. I look forward to seeing what else you find out about this.

CLynn85

Explorer
SWR, that's another cool trail, although a little more fitting for ya'll out west.

The thing I like about the Trans Am is that it starts in northeast TN, relatively close to VA, so it's not like I'd have to travel much just to get to the start of the trail.

I'll contact Sam in the next couple months and get the full set of maps to start analyzing and plotting out in more detail.

SixLug

Explorer
Hey....Its really wierd that you brought up this topic, but good timing. I contacted Sam, (still no word), about just the Tenn. portion (since I live in TN), to see how much was passable by suv. I would love to do this trip, and we'll see how much money I can save etc, but I will definitely stay tuned to this....keep the info coming!:victory:

Alex

CLynn85

Explorer
Exrunner said:
Hey....Its really wierd that you brought up this topic, but good timing. I contacted Sam, (still no word), about just the Tenn. portion (since I live in TN), to see how much was passable by suv. I would love to do this trip, and we'll see how much money I can save etc, but I will definitely stay tuned to this....keep the info coming!:victory:

Alex

Seems that whoever posted that link sparked a lot of interest with people here. I'd like to know what Sam has to say about the TN section if you hear back from him.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Let me know about the tennesee section. I'll try to come up and do it with ya. or maybe if we plan it for 2007 we can do the whole thing or atleast knock of half of it.

SixLug

Explorer
oh!!! He finally did reply....He told me that the TN section is all passable by an suv (or whatever else you guys drive) and that it starts in Jellico, and ends in Selmer TN. That 300 miles as the crow flies!!!!! I think that would be an awesome first expedition type trip for me, and whoever else wants to go....but Im going to start planning this for this summer maybe. Just this section...I know you were wanting to do the whole thing in 07, but if you want, youre more than welcome to test out your setup on this this summer....anyway, nothing is set in stone. We'll just see what goin on..Im pretty excited about it though.

SixLug

Explorer
I have made another discovery...After looking at Sams website, it is 600 miles of trail from Jellico to Selmer! Its about 300 in a straight line, but this trail must be C U R V Y. Which is fine by me....let me know what you think.

CLynn85

Explorer
Wow, good to hear. I possibly wouldn't mind joining you for the tenessee section if you decide to run it this summer, be a nice preview and warm up for the long haul.

SixLug

Explorer
awesome...well, Ill get to work on some small details, and lets just keep in touch about this...let me know if you have certain concerns, etc....and I guess since Ive never done this, I may need some help planning stuff out if thats cool? Later man. Alex:elkgrin:

HongerVenture

Adventurer
I am VERY interested in how this TN portion develops for you guys. What kind of terrain is it? I may have to e-mail Sam and invest in the maps as well. Hmmm.

My wife and I did an abandoned railroad grade in TN this last October... was in Big South Fork National Recreation Area. We'd love to venture down for more 4WD exploring.

Joel

SixLug

Explorer
Joel, Im not exactly sure of the terrain, but Im pretty sure its just dirt roads and trails, and maybe a few Powerline inspection roads??? Not too sure, but Sam said it was passable for an suv or whatever....So Im thinking it may not be too hard. Anyway, would love to have you along. Im hoping it will take place near the end of this coming summer. Keep in touch, Alex:archaeolo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94