Montero fuel pump ponderings

Bear with me as I try to paint the picture for you guys.

One of my expo buddies and I were discussing critical spares for the Montero for when I eventually take an extended trip. The thought is to tie in an in-line fuel pump . But that poses a few questions, that can either be answered by looking at the fuel pump or asking someone who has.

As I have not had the opportunity to look, is the fuel pump easily accessible? I'm assuming there is an access port under the carpet in rear cargo area? Or must one drop the tank?
If it's not easily accessible:
--- Is the pump a "flow through" style pump, or if the pump is not running, does it effectively block the flow of fuel?
If it is a flow through style pump:
--- Does anyone see an implication of attaching a fuel pump to the fuel line outside of the tank?

Obviously if this is done, the pump would have to be equal to the original pump, 12volts and 45gallons per hour.

The goal to this is to have a backup in place in case the fuel pump were to ever give out in the bush. Our thoughts are to setup the backup pump using a factory harness with extended cables to reach the original's harness. Obviously a given, that if its easier to just replace the fuel pump that will be the way to go.

The Viper

Adventurer
it is easily accessible...yes their is easy access under the carpet, you do not need to drop the tank

I did a ton of messing around with this when i was replacing the little rubber hose attached to the fuel pump and cleaning the little fuel filter at the end of the fuel pump. After you disconnect the fuel lines to the fuel pump the whole pump will easily lift out of the tank

EDIT: i dont have any answers to the rest of ur questions :(

off-roader

Expedition Leader
It is easily accessible from the access panel in back. Mines 280k in age. My others have lasted similar amounts w/out failures (ie rig died before the pump) so IMHO they're simply too reliable to consider all the effort required to add a 2nd unit in line. Just bring a spare if you're worried.

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
If you do install a second pump, and are planning the drive through areas where you might be concerned for the safety of your rig (worried about it getting stolen), you can install an electric fuel pump. If you plan on leaving your rig, you simply hit the switch (that is mounted in a hidden location) and if someone tries to swipe it, they only are able to get a short distance before running out of fuel. Just one more way to make your rig more theft proof when traveling to distant lands.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
A relay wired into your ignition system with a hidden switch would also work for that. Either or will be fine I think... just don't think you need to do it because the stock pump will fail.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier