Hilux drawers...

brittan

Adventurer
I picked these up today and wanted to share. My plan is to put a box in front of the drawers housing a compressor and aux bat. The sides are either going to be covered or left open for gas cans. I plan on covering the boxes with aluminum flat stock or diamond plate(hard on the knees). The plan is to bend up some tubing above the platform for a roof top tent that will be as high as the cab. I have the metal but don't want to start the project without the tent...sourcing the tent has been a challenge.
I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Attachments

• bed-boxex.jpg
    bed-boxex.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 130
  • drawer-rear.jpg
    drawer-rear.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 81
  • drawer-side.jpg
    drawer-side.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 65
  • open-drawer.jpg
    open-drawer.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

BMAN

Adventurer
BA-LING BA-LING! NICE. Nothing like a dude thats proud to show the world his drawers!

brittan

Adventurer
BMAN said:
BA-LING BA-LING! NICE. Nothing like a dude thats proud to show the world his drawers!
Thanks BMAN...do you ever show up to the Copper State Sonic meetings? I just got the 80 so I have only been to one. Great group of guys.

Scott Brady

Founder
Looks great Brittan! What is the measurement from the back of the drawer to the bed? A great place for a water tank IMO...

Will your tent support be at bed rail height, or are you going to raise it a few more inches to have more storage on top of the drawers?

From the high point of my tent to the top of the cab, I have about 5-6 inches. 5-6" of extra storage would be worth it...

:clapsmile

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Super nice. I have thought about the drawer system for mine. I was thinkng one and turn it into a retractable kitchen with grill stove and cook wear in it.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Me likes!

brittan said:
I picked these up today and wanted to share. My plan is to put a box in front of the drawers housing a compressor and aux bat. The sides are either going to be covered or left open for gas cans. I plan on covering the boxes with aluminum flat stock or diamond plate(hard on the knees). The plan is to bend up some tubing above the platform for a roof top tent that will be as high as the cab. I have the metal but don't want to start the project without the tent...sourcing the tent has been a challenge.
I am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

As I mentionned on 4wdtrips.net, I've been toying with this idea for my next version of sleeping platform/storage solution. I really like the looks and robustness of those units. I have seen some real nice ones in Australian 4WD Monthly for LandCruisers, but they are real expensive. :Wow1: Have you seen the storage boxes that Deserdude built? I'm currious how much his weigh? Also take a look at this sketch that BajaTaco posted on 4WDtrips with respect to bed layout. I really like it. I'll be keeping a close eye on your progress! :D
Cheers :beer:,
P

brittan

Adventurer
Sorry I am getting to this so late...

expeditionswest- wrote
Looks great Brittan! What is the measurement from the back of the drawer to the bed? A great place for a water tank IMO...
-Thanks Scott. Its about 8.5" from the back of the boxes to the front of the bed. Putting a water tank there is a great idea...center of the truck...have a spout that drains out the stock holes in the bed...

Will your tent support be at bed rail height, or are you going to raise it a few more inches to have more storage on top of the drawers?
-I am going to raise the tent enough to get my essentials under it. The biggest item I can think of now is a cooler. The tent may be raised above the cab a bit...but that will be the trade off.

From the high point of my tent to the top of the cab, I have about 5-6 inches. 5-6" of extra storage would be worth it...
-Agreed...

p1michaud - wrote
I have seen some real nice ones in Australian 4WD Monthly for LandCruisers, but they are real expensive.
- I have a 97 LC80 too. I was looking into a set for the 80 when I ran into these. After seeing the quality of the drawers I think they are worth the $$$. It would cost me much more if I tried to do this on my own...in time alone.
Have you seen the storage boxes that Deserdude built?
-I have now...very nice. Thanks for pointing me to it. I need to contact him about where he got the water tank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles