IMG_0341.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Just a note. We never really looked for the cave but we went up to Elliot Mine. I'll post some pics later too.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
In-Ko-Pah area trip

We set out from Alpine, CA at around 0730 and made it out to the In-Ko-Pah area by 0815. Our first trip was to the south side of hwy 8 in the Smugglar's Cave/Elliot Mine area.

The following explorers were in attendance:

Blue Tropper - Roy
Calamaridog - Bryan
Scenic Wonder Runner - Mark
Boy Scout/Gfiero - Gordon
+D - David
Boston Mangler - Kevin
Yotatech (assorted 4runners)

We headed up the road to the Elliot Mine site. We ended up NOT going to Smugglar's Cave for a variety of reasons.

Attachments

• smugglars04.jpg
    smugglars04.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 45

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
In-Ko-Pah area continued:

After spending some time at the Elliot Mine site (I'll post some pics of the site when I can find some), and after +D (David) fixed his Jeep:victory: , we split up with the Yotatech fellas and headed to the north side of hwy 8.

This is the Table Top Mt. side of the hwy. We drove up the hill past Table Top Mt. and stopped for lunch. Mark had a good spot with great views of McCain Valley:

Attachments

• tabletop01.jpg
    tabletop01.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 47
  • tabletop02.jpg
    tabletop02.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 81
  • tabletop06.jpg
    tabletop06.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 46

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
We got lost...

We intended to head towards the "Carrizo Gorge Overlook". We headed down a very steap hill and into a wonderful and moderately technical trail network. We never really made it to our destination, but the trip was the adventure, right?:p :

Attachments

• btropper02.jpg
    btropper02.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 34
  • bm04.jpg
    bm04.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 51
  • swr04.jpg
    swr04.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 63

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
We found a campsite...

We were tired, but not defeated. It was getting late! Gordon had already left since he was driving all the way back to Long Beach area. David and his father Jim were getting ready to head back to San Diego. Roy left for Orange County when David and Jim headed back to San Diego so they could caravan part way.

Kevin, Mark, and I headed to camp, which we found earlier in the day. We set up camp and enjoyed cocktail hour, Kevin and I ate all of Marks chips and salsa, and then we talked late into the night before going to sleep.

Morning brought a great sunrise, which I failed to capture on camera. Eggs and hash and coffee before we broke camp and headed home.

On a separate note, Calamaridog was a very good girl the whole trip. Everyone seemed to enjoy her demeanor and she really liked everyone she met.

Attachments

• camp01.jpg
    camp01.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 64
  • camp02.jpg
    camp02.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 41
  • camp03.jpg
    camp03.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 661
  • camp04.jpg
    camp04.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 58
  • calamaridog.jpg
    calamaridog.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 55

+ d

Adventurer
thanks for a great time guys!

i've got some pics i'll be posting up shortly too.

i gotta tell you though, its a bit embarrassing having more pics of my springs laying on the trail, i am just wondering why none of the guys on top thought to get on the ol' cb and tell me i was barfin' up parts! i was wondering why it was handling so strange!

great to see the trucks and dudes behind the screen names
:elkgrin:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Looks like a great trip! That's an area I ogled from I-8 as I whizzed past on my way to San Diego. I have always thought would be fun to explore.

Ed

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
David,

I didn't go up to the top, I went around the side via the short route. I didn't even know you had lost a spring until I asked someone where you went. I missed you after about 30 min...:eek:

Ed,

We have just scratched the tip of the iceburg exploring that area. There is a ton of stuff to see and we are trying to work out a long cross country route that will be a good 2-3 day trip.

There is a ton of history in that area from the Native people, Mexican rustlers, miners, and settlers that we are just waiting to explore.:archaeolo

articulate

Expedition Leader
I was thinking you boys and gals were going to be getting all muddy crawling around some cave on all fours and lamps on your heads....:xxrotflma .

Either way, that place looks gorgeous. I'm glad you have some shots of the end of the day, too: chips-n-salsa and "something" in a red solo cup. :beer:

Here's to life. Nice trip....
M

Attachments

• camp01.jpg
    camp01.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 49

articulate

Expedition Leader
Here we go, baby!!!!!!!
normal_DSC00411.JPG

Yee HAW! :sunny:
That's a tight looking hole...

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
I was thinking you boys and gals were going to be getting all muddy crawling around some cave on all fours and lamps on your heads....:xxrotflma.

The cave is there somewhere:jump: We decided not to waste a good part of our day looking for it. I will go back and find it someday.

The real title of the trip should have been In-Ko-Pah, which is the best known name of the general area.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
articulate said:
Here we go, baby!!!!!!!
normal_DSC00411.JPG

Yee HAW! :sunny:

That is Elliot Mine. The funny thing is once he got in there he walked out about 30 feet downhill through the entrance:xxrotflma

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles