ARB Bumper on an 05 Taco

UncleChris

Adventurer
Glad to say that I got my ARB bumper installed last weekend and mounted the winch on this last weekend.

I found that the weight of the bumper and winch combo lowered the front end about an inch. That is with the wire rope and roller fairlead.

The only thing that concerns me about it is that there seems to be a lack of clearance with my 265/75/16s. There is no rubbing, but it does not seem to be too much space for up travel. There is definitely less clearance than stock.

Any experience on the articulation of the Taco front ends?

I took a jack to the passenger lower a-arm to see what kind of problem I would have with travel, and I got no upward movement. So then I drove it up a curb and had the front straight across as well(no visible flex).

With my cherokee I could easily judge wheel travel, but is this a 'welcome to IFS' moment?Is this just because I still have the swaybar connected?

I got a picture of the Taco at Hollister on the stairstep and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of articulation.(2nd pic)

I got my Hoes on the way, that should at least give me more clearance for the front tires.

Attachments

• IMG_0304_50.JPG
    IMG_0304_50.JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC01659.jpg
    DSC01659.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 123

Scott Brady

Founder
Thick anti-roll bars. I drive my taco with no swaybars. They are in the garage now.

charouleau_gap.jpg

Oh, and the bull bar looks awesome!

UncleChris

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
Thick anti-roll bars. I drive my taco with no swaybars. They are in the garage now.

Thanks Scott!

Cool pic.

How does it drive on the road?

I used to drive the Cherokee around with no swaybars, and it really forced you to be smooth.

Scott Brady

Founder
It rides great. I actually prefer a suspension without swaybars and with proper shock valving. The only really noticeable time is on sweeping turns, where the fluid has time to move through the shock valves.

My truck also has a very low COG, with no rack and nothing above the cab height. I am planning on adding a little more lift, which might change my opinion on the swaybar a bit. Time will tell :)

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I don't run the swaybar either... I broke the first one years ago and never got around to putting one back on. I actually have one I intended to put on, but I too prefer the feel without, mabey I am just more used to it?

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Chris,

Someone over at ih8mud has the same ARB bumper. They cut some off the wings for additional clearance for the tires.

UncleChris

Adventurer
Swaybars on the Taco

So I put on the DR COs yesterday and while I was at it completely removed the swaybar.

I did not notice a significant difference with the bar off. While I had it on the jackstands, once the swaybar was disconnected, I got a lot more droop.

Still haven't been able to test how much up I have, but with the ARB, I am now much more at ease with the clearance in the front.

Those of you with 05 Tacomas that are looking to remove the front swaybar, all you need to do is remove the swaybar linkage from the upright, remove the lower skidplate and then remove the chassis braces, the the swaybar will drop right out.

I tried to finesse the bar out without dropping the braces and all that I did was waste my time

Putting the AAls on today.

Chaos Edition

The 05+ taco will definitely flex much better without the swaybar in tact. I've been swaybarless for a few years now in my 03 4runner and have no intentions of going back.

Good choice on the hoe's btw :)

If you want to lighten up your front, upgrade your wire rope to synthetic. That'll be a pretty significant difference in weight. Also it's safer too!

Good luck

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
Having a "goodtimes" & now a "Good Times" on the forum is going to be real confusing.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Adventurer
ErrinV said:
Got any pics yet?

I'll take some pics this weekend at Hollister, and if I get up to the Sierras, I'll take even better ones!

BTW, the taco rides great with the swaybar disco'd in front. I drove it into work this morning and have no complaints. It rides close to strock with a little bit better road feel. No excess roll.

I'll try to get flex pics this weekend.

Justin

Observer
Sweet Ride! The bumper looks real clean. Also, nice tire selection (REVO). Interesting comments on the swaybar issue. I was with out a swaybar on an older 94 p/u (2wd) and the body roll was a bit too scary for me...then again, I would rail around turns on the street. But as it relates to flex, it seems logical.
Justin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke