Shower and toilet enclosure thread

Scott Brady

Founder
There have been a few discussion about shower and potty tents in various threads, so I thought it would be a good idea to pull it all together here:

VikingVince:
"Re the PahaQue privy shelter...it's nice but also check out the P.E.T.T. shelter. The Pett shelter goes up ALOT faster because the rods (shock cords) are built right in on hinges and the shelter just folds open and closes down quickly....although I think the PahaQue has a few more bells and whistles. I have a large PahaQue ScreenRoom and love it but it is time intensive to put up. (not a fair comparison to the privy I know) Cabelas also has a very nice privy shelter for $99 but it looks time intensive also. I've been in one and they're really roomy (4.5 sq ft base) and nice but haven't seen them set up or taken down. At this point you may think that a few more minutes to put up and take down is no big deal...but the more you're out there, the less hassle and more EASE of setting up and taking down anything becomes more desirable...especially on one-night stops."

Expeditionswest:
"Vince is absolutely correct about the shower enclosures. After a few days, Steph and I got pretty quick with the Tepee, but it is definitely a two person job. Maybe 3-4 minutes. The greatest advantage of the Tepee is the design when deployed. Thick rods support the tent, and can even support you if you need to hold on while putting on socks or whatever. There are two internal gear storage netting units. One for shower items like soap and shampoo, and another that hangs high in the top, which you can store your clean, dry clothes in. There are also zippered access points on the sides, which allow you to bring in shower heads, access towels, etc.

One of the other cool things is the horizontal poles on the outside, which allows you to hang towels and dry clothes you have washed"

Pahaque Tepee
tepee.jpg

The PETT System
9613_l.jpg

Vince had this cool shower deck in Baja. I need to get one :). I was using my spearfishing fins to stand on.
i511007sq01.jpg

This is the big daddy Vince talked about from Cabelas:
i516873sq02.jpg

It does weigh 23 pounds though :smilies27

I also considered this Outback unit: no set-up
i590796sq01.jpg

This should make for a good start :)

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Thanks, Scott,
This is good info. Thanks for pulling it together here.
Which brings up a question on the Diablo trip re: toilets etc.
Are there rules/regs about waste disposal on the trip? For certain areas only?
What do you recommend?
:confused:
Ed

Scott Brady

Founder
Human Waste Disposal

Good question Ed,

Del Diablo is not a pack it out area (like the Rubicon), so use the following guidelines.

Leave No Trace, Center for Outdoor Ethics:

Dispose of Waste Properly Minimize Human Impacts
Human Waste: Proper disposal of human waste is important to avoid pollution of water sources, avoid the negative implications of someone else finding it, minimize the possibility of spreading disease, and maximize the rate of decomposition.

In most locations, burying human feces in the correct manner is the most effective method to meet these criteria. Solid human waste must be packed out from some places, such as narrow river canyons. Land management agencies can advise you of specific rules for the area you plan to visit.

Contrary to popular opinion, research indicates that burial of feces actually slows decomposition (at least in the Rocky Mountains). Pathogens have been discovered to survive for a year or more when buried. However, in light of the other problems associated with feces, it is still generally best to bury it. The slow decomposition rate causes the need to choose the correct location, far from water, campsites, and other frequently used places.

Catholes: Catholes are the most widely accepted method of waste disposal. Locate catholes at least 200 feet (about 70 adult steps) from water, trails and camp. Select an inconspicuous site where other people will be unlikely to walk or camp. With a small garden trowel, dig a hole 6-8 inches deep and 4-6 inches in diameter. The cathole should be covered and disguised with natural materials when finished. If camping in the area for more than one night, or if camping with a large group, cathole sites should be widely dispersed.

Perhaps the most widely accepted method of backcountry human waste disposal is the cathole. The advantages are:

they are easy to dig in most areas.
they are easy to disguise after use.
they are private.
they disperse the waste rather than concentrate it (which enhances decomposition).
it is usually easy to select an out of the way location where you can be certain no one is going to casually encounter the cathole.
Selecting a Cathole Site:

Select a cathole site far from water sources, 200 feet (approximately 70 adult paces) is the recommended range.
Select an inconspicuous site untraveled by people. Examples of cathole sites include thick undergrowth, near downed timber, or on gentle hillsides.
If camping with a group or if camping in the same place for more than one night, disperse the catholes over a wide area; don t go to the same place twice.
Try to find a site with deep organic soil. This organic ma al contains organisms which will help de pose the feces. (Organic soil is usually dark and rich in color.) Refer to the jars used to demonstrate decomposition. The desert does not have as much organic soil as a forested area. (See number 2 under Digging a Cathole below.)
If possible, locate your cathole where it will receive maximum sunlight. The heat from the sun will aid decomposition.
Choose an elevated site where water would not normally during runoff or rain storms. The idea here is to keep the feces out of water. Over time, the decomposing feces will percolate into the soil before reaching water sources.
Digging a Cathole:

A small garden trowel is the perfect tool for digging a cathole.
Dig the hole 6-8 inches deep (about the length of the trowel blade) and 4-6 inches in diameter. In a hot desert, human waste does not biodegrade easily because there is little organic soil to help break it down. In the desert, the cathole should be only 4-6 inches deep. This will allow the heat and sun to hasten the decay process.
When finished, the cathole should be filled with the original dirt and disguised with native materials.
Catholes in Arid Lands: A cathole is the most widely accepted means of waste disposal in arid lands. Locate catholes at least 200 feet (about 70 adult steps) from water, trails, and camp. Avoid areas where water visibly flows, such as sandy washes, even if they are dry at the moment. Select a site that will maximize exposure to the sun in order to aid decomposition. Because the sun s heat will penetrate desert soils several inches, it can eventually kill pathogens if the feces are buried properly. South-facing slopes and ridge tops will have more exposure to sun and heat than other areas.

Latrines: Though catholes are recommended for most situations, there are times when latrines may be more applicable, such as when camping with young children or if staying in one camp for longer than a few nights. Use similar criteria for selecting a latrine location as those used to locate a cathole. Since this higher concentration of feces will decompose very slowly, location is especially important. A good way to speed decomposition and diminish odors is to toss in a handful of soil after each use. Ask your land manager about latrine-building techniques.

Toilet Paper: Use toilet paper sparingly and use only plain, white, non-perfumed brands. Toilet paper must be disposed of properly! It should either be thoroughly buried in a cathole or placed in plastic bags and packed out. Natural toilet paper has been used by many campers for years. When done correctly, this method is as sanitary as regular toilet paper, but without the impact problems. Popular types of natural toilet paper include stones, vegetation and snow. Obviously, some experimentation is necessary to make this practice work for you, but it is worth a try! Burning toilet paper in a cathole is not generally recommended.

Toilet Paper in Arid Lands: Placing toilet paper in plastic bags and packing it out as trash is the best way to Leave No Trace in a desert environment. Toilet paper should not be burned. This practice can result in wild fires.

Tampons: Proper disposal of tampons requires that they be placed in plastic bags and packed out. Do not bury them because they don t decompose readily and animals may dig them up. It will take a very hot, intense fire to burn them completely.

Urine: Urine has little direct effect on vegetation or soil. In some instances urine may draw wildlife which are attracted to the salts. They can defoliate plants and dig up soil. Urinating on rocks, pine needles, and gravel is less likely to attract wildlife. Diluting urine with water from a water bottle can help minimize negative effects.

Special Considerations for River Canyons: River canyons often present unique Leave No Trace problems. The most common practice is to urinate directly in the river and pack out feces in sealed boxes for later disposal. Check with your land manager for details about specific areas.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I bought the PETT toilet and I love it.

I bought a tent similar (if not identical) to the PETT tent (but very inexpensive) on clearance. Same design. It is very difficult and time consuming to set up. (EDIT:I also noticed the tent they have is different than mine, although it looks the same, they advertise it as a fast set up design. Sorry for the confusion.)

I like the idea of the instant Outback tent which could be taken down quickly if the wind picks up.

Last edited:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I've got an awesome solution - The Insta Tent!
These are designed by Black Stump Trading Co from Australia.

The two jpg's attached are scans of the brochure. In the upper right hand corner of the first page you will see the Shower Tent.
These things pack up to about the size of a 3"x12" tube. All the poles have a line that runs through them and comes out to a common point at the top. At the top is one cord with a locking mechanism so all you do is lay the tent on the ground and pull the cord to lock then press the mechanism to unlock and fold up for storage. Setup probably takes less than 60 seconds!

So here is the problem - I met these guys from Australia last fall at the Outdoor Retailer Summer Show. They told me all about their tents and did a demonstration and I walked away with their brochure. Now thier website is not opperative and any google search I try comes up with nothing!

So somewhere out there is a really cool solution for a shower tent if anyone can find them!

Edit -- can't seem to upload the attachment, sorry!

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Thanks, Scott!

Excellent work!
I knew I knew I could count on you to be full of...errr...information!
:D

Ed

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
What is everone doing for the potty portion?

My wife and I do the old construction worker's trick... an old bucket with an old toilet seat attached. What goes in comes out, by reataching the bucket lid. But it is time to update this system.

Wil

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I like the PETT system and the Wag Bags. Many people just buy the Wag Bags and use them with their system.

http://www.thepett.com/

I also noticed the tent they have is different than mine, although it looks the same, they advertise it as a fast set up design. Sorry for the confusion.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I just bought a case of Wag Bags, I'll be in canyon country next weekend and will have to pack it out. This will be my first experience with Wag Bags, I'll post what I think in a couple weeks after the trip.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Wag bags = never leave home without them ;) I have the PETT fold out toilet and the pack - but this is too bulky for travel IMHO

I like the PETT tent for its ease of set up - but they did not design a zipper in the window area to alow for shower equipment to enter into the tent - since I am a brute I just ripped a hole in the window screen - I am thinking of checking into the outback one as another option - can't have too many tents:)

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Does the Pahaque Teepee have a floor? The pic seems to show one, i cant figure why i'd want one with a shower base.

Had a bad experience (wind) with a cheaper shower enclosure over the 4th, and am looking for an upgrade.

Scott Brady

Founder
John B said:
Does the Pahaque Teepee have a floor? The pic seems to show one, i cant figure why i'd want one with a shower base.

It is optional, and has a threaded drain. I just use bio-degreadable soap and my spearfishing fins for the floor. I do want to pick up one of the nice wood floors.

John B said:
Had a bad experience (wind) with a cheaper shower enclosure over the 4th, and am looking for an upgrade

:eek: :xxrotflma

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Thank You Scott... are these worth the $200?

Dont have Husky or other rubber floor mats? Thats what i currently use, since i cant afford swim fins. :D :shakin:

Scott Brady

Founder
It is an expensive shower. For me, I am gone so much that the investment is worth it. It is a tent that can last years of hard use. It is also very stable, and you can actually hold onto the inside poles while drying your feet :D

atavuss

Adventurer
Last week I ordered the large Cabela's shower enclosure that Scott shows in the first post of this thread along with a PET toilet and wag bags. we were going to try them out this weekend but I took a nasty tumble out of my boat yesterday so will have to see if I am healed enough by the end of this week. also ordered a double and deluxe tent cot as well.
last year we were using a cheapo shower/toilet enclosure that was only about 3' square along with a Coleman porty potti, hopefully these will get sold at the next garage sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94