02' Taco 93,000 Mile Tune-up?

erod

Adventurer
Hey everyone, well finally hit the 90,000 mi mark on the Taco...then shortly thereafter hit 93,000 mi (quick drive from MT. to IL.). Check engine light was on for most of the way home, I figured this had something to do with the recommended 90,000 mi tune/check up. The truck runs great, spends most of its time on the road and is well maintained (oil, fluids, air filter, brakes, tires, etc.). Anyway, my question for you all is what your feelings are about this dealer 90,000 tune/check up. It's got a price tag of around $800 and while I need this truck running tip top I am not sure it necessary to get the tune up as recommended...maybe it is? Any thoughts, opinions...I know I should be doing most of this myself and I do, but only to an extent...guess I should also find out whats included from the dealer. Thanks in advance.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
What are they doing for $800? Never had such a low mileage Toyota, so I just assumed they'd just been driven. My only guess is a timing belt replacement on the 3.4L is about then, right?

kcowyo

ExPo Original
A good chunk of that is probably labor charges and discarding of used fluids.

Timing belt and water pump replacement isn't cheap but better to be safe than sorry, right Dave? ;) With the weight of the FWC added this year, you should have the brakes checked, tranny fluid checked and the ball joints and other IFS components looked over.

Your CEL could be as simple as an O2 sensor. Tell the service writer at the dealership you have X amount of dollars to spend and do what they see as a priority first until your money is gone.

I always feel better having my Toyota Master Tech buddy going through my truck, looking for things I may not have considered.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
My truck was due for the recommended 90,000 mile service back in May. The parts listed below will complete the following service:

R&R waterpump, timing belt and tensioner.

Replace Camshaft and Crankshaft seals.

Replace all hoses and belts (less water heater)

All numbers are for OEM Toyota parts.

Now, as far as buying the parts goes, I got pricing from Toyota of Dallas, and asked my dealer to match it. They kicked up a fuss, but decided that it was better to make a little money on parts vs nothing...

To get current pricing go to:

http://www.trdparts4u.com/search.aspx

...and plug in the numbers.

This saved me a ton of money...

Ac belt - 3.4 liter - 3.4 liter
99364-20870-78

P/S belt - 3.4 liter 1998 - 2004
90080-91126-83

Alternator belt - 3.4 liter - 3.4 liter
90080-91090-83

Upper hose - 3.4 liter - 3.4 liter
16571-62070

Lower hose, 4wd, Auto trans - 3.4 liter - 3.4 liter
16572-07040

Water pump assy, 4wd, 4wd - 3.4 liter - 3.4 liter
16100-69398-33

Thermostat - 3.4 liter
90916-03075

Gasket – Water Inlet - 3.4 liter 2000 - 2004
16325-62010

TENSIONER ASSY, Timing
13540-62021

Timing belt - 3.4 liter 1995 - 1998
13568-69095

Camshaft seal, all models - 3.4l 1995 - 2004 (need two)
90311-38051

SEAL, TYPE T OIL (Crankshaft Seal)
90311-40022

Toyota FIPG Sealer - 3.4 liter 1995 - 1998
00295-00103

The water pump was leaking when removed, the timing belt was showing signs of wear, and the left side cam seal was damp, so I'd say Toyota has the service interval called pretty darn close.

Total labor was: 3 hours for timing belt, 1 hour for water pump, 1 hour for cam and crank seals.

Mark

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I had no intention of doing mine till 150K, but after reading your rebuild thread earlier this year I just figured, get it done before it does me in.

So you probably saved me some money and/or headaches. You take repayment in Guinness or Single Malt?

DaveInDenver

kcowyo said:
I had no intention of doing mine till 150K, but after reading your rebuild thread earlier this year I just figured, get it done before it does me in.

So you probably saved me some money and/or headaches. You take repayment in Guinness or Single Malt?
The thing is mine was not the original timing chain. I was preemptive when I replaced the timing at 145,000 and it was the preventative stuff I did that failed me early. OK, sure, if I didn't do it, it would have failed eventually, too... I was honestly just asking if 90K is the recommended interval for a timing belt, I dunno.

PS: I'd go with the whiskey.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
As far as doing it yourself, the timing belt requires special service tools that you can make yourself or spend a pretty fair chunk of change buying. The crank pulley is torqued to 218 Ft/Lbs to boot...

erod

Adventurer
WOW, thanks a lot guys...here's what Toyota would do...and its more like $1500. Crawler, thanks for the info, I will look more into that option before I make my decision...
timing belt was a big thing, said they can go to 130,000 or more but with the camper and my recent trailer towing i will have this taken care of. here are the other items with prices...

1. Lubricate: Front suspension, steering linkage, hood latch, hood and door hinges, engine oil and oil filter. $29.99

2. Front end alignment, 4wheel alignment, tire rotation. $122.99

3. TIMING BELT Replacement 6cyl. $359.99

4. Cooling system: coolent replacement, pressure test system, check hoses and clamps. clean exterior of radiator and A/C condensor. 2 gal coolant and wynn's chemical cooling system flush. $129.99

5. Fuel filter replacement. $129.99

6. Automatic transmission flush service (Is this needed with a manual or can I just change the fluid?). Complete flush of tranny, torque converter, cooler and lines. Includes wynn's 2-step flush kit and up to 16 qts. $129.99

7. fuel system tune up: clean injectors and throttle body, remove intake valve and combustion chamber C deposits, includes wynn's 3 step kit. $129.99

8. Minor tune up: replace spark plugs $99.99

9. Power steering flush. $129.99

10. Replace differential fluid (front and back). $109.98

11. Transfer case service: replace fluid. $54.99

So there it is...more $ if I go synthetics. Grand total = $1428. Damn! Engine oil and tire rotations I usually do myself...any more thoughts? Thanks again, beers are on me (PBR) next time your in MT.!

DaveInDenver

Uh, yeah, you don't need a AT flush if you have a stick shift.

With a live rear axle a 4 wheel alignment is a sham. I bought a lifetime front end alignment at Firestone for $120 or something. The place I bought my tires does free rotates and balances for the life of the tires.

Cooling system flush. Easy, but I could see paying for that just so they can collect the old anti-freeze.

I would definitely not pay $100 for 6 spark plugs, either.

If you can change engine oil, then you can do a transfer case, differential and tranny lube change. On your truck all of those have drain plugs and fill plugs, it's about 8 or 9 quarts of gear oil, a drain pan, a couple of beers and a Saturday afternoon.

Personally, I might pay for them to do the timing belt, fuel filter and maybe the fuel system and power steering flush.

7wt

Expedition Leader
crawler#976 said:
The water pump was leaking when removed, the timing belt was showing signs of wear, and the left side cam seal was damp, so I'd say Toyota has the service interval called pretty darn close.

Total labor was: 3 hours for timing belt, 1 hour for water pump, 1 hour for cam and crank seals.

Mark

So what did all that set you back Mark? I am stiing at 80K and I need to save!

detailbarn

Adventurer
now let me start by saying I am much better on maintenance but when I had my 2001 Double Cab , I did change the oil every 5000 miles but that is all I did. When I traded the truck for my current Jeep Unlimited it had 195,000 on and it ran like the day I bought it had no leaks of any kind and consumed very little to no oil. About 40,000 of those miles where offroad miles and atleast 100,000 of them had a 5'x10' enclosed work trailer in tow behind it.

So as I said I have gotten much better on recommended maintenance, I still do not feel all of what is listed is needed, but your mileage may vary.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
skip having someone else do #1, #10, #11 - engine oil, tranny, transfer case, both diffs and the other items are relatively easy to do.

#4 will done with the t-belt, so that's a neccesary item...

#5 is easy - you just need tubing wrenches. Remember to take out the fuel pump fuse and crank the motor to bleed off the pressure...

#6 can be done at an Jiffy Lube type joint for about $90.00 or there about.

#8 can be done yourself for the price of the plugs...and go with some Denso Platinums.

Cam and crank seals are basically done with the t-belt as PM since the whole front dress is off and they are accessible. Why pay to have it done in another 20 or 30K!

Doing the above yourself or elsewhere will bring the price down a lot, and you know exactly what fluids were used to boot. the savings in labor will more than pay for using full synthetics in the engine, diff's, tranny, transfer case, and they will improve your fuel economy to boot.

7wt said:
So what did all that set you back Mark? I am stiing at 80K and I need to save!

Using the parts list above, the total cost for parts and labor at the dealer was $918.00. In addition to that I bought 8 quarts of Valvoline 75W90 synthetic gear oil @ $8.99 a quart (have some left over at home and an extra quart in the truck), spent $90.00 for the tranny flush, $31.00 for 6 quarts of Mobil1 5W30 oil, and $2.85 a piece for Platinum plugs. I don't remember off hand what the fuel filter cost, but it wasn't much...

Last edited:

viter

Adventurer
timing belt is recommended to be replaced only at every 90K.

90K maintenace is pretty much the same as for every 30K interval (see here how to do all 30K maintenance by yourself easily - great instructions - http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/maintenance/tacoma_4runner_30k/ ) PLUS the timing belt. along with timing belt people often change the waterpump and tensioner pulley just because they already took everything apart and it is about the time waterpump is going out anyway. If you replace all these things (and perhaps those other seals you were talking about) at the same time it should be way cheaper than price of each item being replaced by itself since majority of work is taken care of while taking everything apart to get to the timing belt. fuel filter replacement is not recomended at any interval on this engine by toyota as far as I know. I wouldn't replace it until it goes. To see what REALLY Toyota recommends go to http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?v=22&y=2002&int_id=64

here is a reprint:

2002 Tacoma
90,000 Miles - 72 Months

Replace engine oil and oil filter
Replace engine air filter
Replace engine coolant
Lubricate propeller shaft (4WD)
Replace non-platinum spark plugs 3
Replace timing belt (except 2RZ-FE or 3RZ-FE)
Re-torque propeller shaft bolt
Rotate tires
Inspect the following:
Automatic transmission fluid
Ball joints and dust covers
Brake lines and hoses
Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs
Drive belts
Drive shaft boots (4WD)
Exhaust pipes and mountings
Front differential oil (4WD)
Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses
Fuel tank cap gasket
Manual transmission oil
Rear differential oil
Steering gear box
Steering linkage and boots
Transfer case oil (4WD)

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:

Driving on Rough, Muddy or Snow-Melted Roads
Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Towing a Trailer or Using a Camper or Car-Top Carrier
Inspect nuts and bolts on chassis and body
Replace automatic transmission fluid