Canadian Outdoor Suppliers ?

blaze one

Adventurer
Are there any Canadians out here !!

I am having a tough time finding suppliers In Canada ( more specifically British Columbia ) that sell items such as truck mounted Awnings , like this one :
attachment.php

Awning.jpg

Or any other type for that matter , I would like to beable to mount it to a Yakima roof basket , and even better would be to have one that has an enclosure around it too.

Any idea's ?

blaze one

Adventurer
thanks , i have visited that site in the past , have not found much other than alot of Solid Axle rockcrawler type guys that look down on you if you don't have a rusted out toyota or a jeep . Mostly just people interested in "mudding" or extreme rock crawling , not much in too "expedition " type offroading .
I keep lookin. Thanks though .:ylsmoke:

paulj

Expedition Leader
Seems that many of these expedition products come from Australia or South Africa. Is it any easier to import from these countries into Canada than into the USA?

For a side awning have you looked at the Kelty Carport? It's more of an arched leanto, with partial side enclosure.

The only Canadian outdoor supplier that I am aware of is MEC, and they are more oriented to backpackers than car campers. Well, I also browse Canadian Tire when I vacation in the province.

Do you want sun, rain, or bug protection?

paulj

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
There aren't a whole lot of Canadian suppliers for Expedition stuff - but there are a few. I'll go through some of my links and see what I can find. If I remember correctly, there is a Land Rover company out of Ontario and www.4wheelauto.com out of Edmonton has access to a lot of items from out of Australia.

Thanks,

Pete

blaze one

Adventurer
thanks guys , i lookin to those .

as for what i am lookin for , well basically something that i can attach to the roof of my blazer . and beable to stand under atleast , it would be even better if i could have a full enclosure around it too . Then all i would is just pack it up and have it attached to the roof when not in use , that way when i need to setup in a area with out trees I can still have a covered area to eat etc.

there are many products out there that are Stand alone types , but it would be cool if it was a simple 2 pole setup and the rest is attacted to the roof of my blazer ... Anybody understand me ... i know i am confusing when explaining .:)

paulj

Expedition Leader
Here's my pbase gallery illustrating my attempts at rigging a side awning on my Element:
http://www.pbase.com/paulj3/element_camping

While I have experimented with rigging short overhangs, in practice I have used the leanto style Carport and the tension Vista wing tarp. One thing that I've learned is that if used in rainy weather for any length of time, I have to pay a lot of attention to water drainage. The tarp has to have a definite slope in some direction, or else water will pool.

I've also made a lot use of a separate tarp over the picnic table, either the self supporting Kelty Sunshade (3 leg dome tarp), the 4 point Kelty Noah tarp.

Many of these pictures were taken in British Columbia. The trip last June in the Kootenays had quite a number of rainy days.

paulj

paulj

Expedition Leader
Here's a BC (Surry) awning designed for a VW Vanagon

http://www.shadyboy.com/vans/

There are other awnings designed for RVs.

Here's a Washington based awning for the tailgate
http://www.bumperchute.com/index.html

a canopy from Utah
http://www.springbar.com/shop/proddetail.php?prod=43990003&cat=15

a UK source of awnings, some with walls
http://www.caravanningworld.co.uk/acatalog/Awnings_.html

I was tempted to get the Aztec Autohaven, but shipping from the UK would have doubled the cost
http://www.singersoutdoors.co.uk/showproduct.asp?id=156&pgid=52&r=52/12/41/2

I've also seen a German awning like the Autohaven, but designed for side use, but I can't find a link.

Last edited:

chet

island Explorer
with shipping getting pretty cheap and the CDN dollar doing good its almost always cheaper to buy stuff from the states. For some reason CDN retailers want ransom prices for stuff I can easily get from the states way cheaper. when you tell them that they get all pissy with you. Just make sure you don't use UPS to ship stuff!!! :Wow1:

blaze one

Adventurer
one of these with out the roof top tent would be great , would i beable to mount it too any type of roof basket/rack ? or are they model specific ?
attachment.php

gcec

Canadian Outdoor Suppliers?

chet said:
its almost always cheaper to buy stuff from the states. For some reason CDN retailers want ransom prices for stuff I can easily get from the states way cheaper. when you tell them that they get all pissy with you.:Wow1:

As a Canadian retailer of expedition gear for some three years now, I think I can provide you with some insights as to why prices here are sometimes higher...

When we import a Hannibal tent from South Africa we pay the Canadian government an 18% duty - they're duty free into the US. Additionally, the container cost from South Africa to Canada is 50% higher than to the US. Check out the math on that...

Canada | US
Cost of Tent 1000 | 1000
Freight 150 | 100
Customs Duties 180 | 0
---------------------------------
Total 1350 | 1100
Selling Price 1521 | 1510

Dealer Profit 191 | 410

And that doesn't take into consideration the other variables of currency exchange (suppliers price in US$, UK£, or Euros, not CDN$), employment laws, employment taxes, overheads, etc.

And could someone, anyone, please tell me where the Canadian cotton industry is that's being protected by the durty? But that's an aside ;)

We sell our products for the same (or near) price as the US vendors because we know that the average cross-border shopper has no issue with illegally importing items without paying duties. Which means we make less money per item than our southern cousins. Which makes it harder to stay in business.

When we buy certain products through distributors (like ARB USA) we pay ARB USA's freight costs to Seattle and US Customs Clearance (they pass them on in pricing), then we pay to ship it to Canada, and pay the 6.5% Customs Duties, and clearance fees. Your US reseller doesn't. Plus, for some odd reason we see US retailers advertising the product for less than ARB USA charges Canadian dealers - which leads one to believe there are two price lists in effect.

And, because Canada is such a small market and our volumes are lower, we get rather crap service from our US suppliers. ARB USA has never replied to any of our queries about becoming a reseller - in two years!! Ameriican Expedition Vehicles never responded to our requests to BUY their products!

We tried talking to ARB in Australia, but they think that Canada and the US are the same country and won't deal directly with anyone up north.

So now we have a policy of only dealing with manufacturer's directly - but that involves big upfront investments. I have a CDn$100k container sitting in South Africa right now, another CDN$50k in Oz, CDN$25k in Israel, and nearly CDN$50k in Rotterdam - that's a $225,000 investment. And we'll drop another $175,000 in July. When you consider that we are after all a "hobby business", like most off-road shops, that's a lot of money to put out. But it does mean we can price our products more fairly for our market, get better services, and deliver better service to our customers.

For instance, Scepter Military Fuel Cans sell for about US$49.95 on average - we sell them for CDN$49.95. Our Black Rat high lift jack (from OZ) will be cheaper than the US based Hi-Lift and Jackall products - but is an arguably superior product. Similarly with our National Luna Refrigerator\Freezers; better product than ARB, less money than comparable US-based prices.

And I do lose sleep over the fact that someone will come into my shop, let me show them through the products, answer all of their questions, give them the pros and cons, provide them with advice based on my years of experience, and then they'll go buy the item from some web site in the US because after they cheat the import system they save $10. And you know what, sometimes it does make you a bit pissy - especially when they come in six months later and say "I ripped my tent fly. Can you GIVE me a new one, that place in the US where I bought it won't". I'll give you two guesses what the response to that one might be? I wish I could be a hard *ssed b*st*rd, but I usually give it to them anyway :(

Fortunately, most of our customers are honest and hard-working folks who appreciate dealing with the same - and are happy to support us even if it means dropping an extra $10 once in a while. :luxhello: After all, on an expedition, the life you save with that particular piece of kit, knowledge, or advice that you picked up from your local supplier could be your own... And isn't that worth $10?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Welcome to the board gcec and thanks for your insight!

I prefer to buy Canadian when I can and would appreciate knowing what company you represent and what product lines you carry...

Thanks,

Pete

gcec

expeditionswest said:
Hi gcec,
Are you based in Canada or UK? Welcome to the forum :)

Our company is registered in both Canada and the UK. I live near Oxford and look after operations here, while my brother Tim looks after things in Edmonton.

Thanks for the welcome... Great site. Surprised I hadn't seen it before. Nice to see vehicle dependent expeditions catching a foothold in North America :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94