Rocket Box

erod

Adventurer
just scored a box for the camper! there is a little damage where the box mounts to the roof rack, any advice on how to reinforce/fix this issue? thanks in advance!

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
I would cut strips the same length and width as the mounting points and lay them in then glass over them, ending with some nice marine primer, primer the drilled mounting holes also. You can get the glass and cloth at any auto parts or marine shop cheap!

JMO~

toyrunner95

Explorer
well theres a couple ways.

1. rough the inside and outside of the box around the hole or crack with sand paper. then use fiberglass cloth in strips and resin to cover the hole inside and out, let it dry, sand it down, then put metal plates on the inside and outside and run your bolts through the whole thing like a sandwhich. that should fix it.

2. re drill the holes and re mount the thing and cover the hole with bondo.

3. cowboy up and deal with it.

erod

Adventurer
well, went with the bondo...pretty good stuff for this application. also, painted the bondoed area with some duplicolor i had sitting around. when i mount it i will use metal plates inside and outside to provide extra support and drill new holes...post a pic of it mounted when i get there but here are the repairs so far...$11 in material, not the prettiest bu i think its pretty sturdy...thanks again guys!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
I hope you drilled out the ends of those cracks. If not look for those to continue along the current route effective immediately. Always drill a small hole at the end of a crack to stop it from growing.

On those type of vacume formed plastics the best thing to use is Devcon Plastic welder. THere are various types some sandable and paintable some not. They fully cure in 20 minutes and will hold on unbelivably well. The plasitc welding adhesives allow for the material to flex and not create a weak spot. These methacrylate adhesives come in small tubes like 5 min epoxy. You mix it up and then apply. They run ususally between $15 and $25 per tube but work really well.

http://devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=330&catid=26

Desertoutpost

Adventurer
Good luck with the bondo, any flex and it will pop out, and or chip away, so at least know this now so you can be prepared when you are on a wet road trip and have stuff up top you want to stay dry..

erod

Adventurer
Nullifier said:
I hope you drilled out the ends of those cracks. If not look for those to continue along the current route effective immediately. Always drill a small hole at the end of a crack to stop it from growing.

On those type of vacume formed plastics the best thing to use is Devcon Plastic welder. THere are various types some sandable and paintable some not. They fully cure in 20 minutes and will hold on unbelivably well. The plasitc welding adhesives allow for the material to flex and not create a weak spot. These methacrylate adhesives come in small tubes like 5 min epoxy. You mix it up and then apply. They run ususally between $15 and $25 per tube but work really well.

http://devcon.com/devconfamilyproduct.cfm?familyid=330&catid=26

good info, i did drill out the cracks, we'll see how this works out...i really don't like the box that much anyway, it was free and the repair was cheap...thanks again you guys for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94