Air Compressors (On Board Air)

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
Ok, I had a copy of Toyota 4WD Owners Magazine, that I gave out that had nice comparison of air compressors by Peter Parks.

Well the time has come for me to choose a compressor, and thought this would be a good thread since the other thread went towards the DV innovations MF compressors, due to the price.

Right now I am in a toss up with a few different models, listed by price (high to low):

ExtremeAire
  • Continuous duty cycle
  • 3/4 horsepower motor
  • 30-amp draw at 35psi
  • 40-amp draw at 150psi
  • 4 cfm free flow rate
  • 150psi max working pressure
  • Can be mounted upside down
  • 14" long, 6" wide, 9", tall
  • $379.95
extremeaire-12-volt.jpg

The Quick Air 2
  • The compressor is compact at with dimensions of 8" x 7.25" x 4.25"
  • Weights in at only 10lbs.
  • $305.00
DSCF9260.jpg

ViAir 400
  • Max Voltage: 12 Volt
  • Max Amperage: 30 AMP
  • Horse Power: 1/4
  • Max Working Pressure: 150 PSI
  • Max Ambient Temp: 158°F
  • Min Ambient Temp: -40°F
  • Max Duty Cycle @ 30PSI: 40 Minutes @ 72°F
  • Max Duty Cycle @ 100PSI: 33% (15 min on/30 min off @ 72°F)_
  • $233.99
DSCF7007.JPG

ARB
  • Max Voltage: 12 Volt
  • Max Amperage: 20 AMP
  • 6.7” x 6.7” X 7”
  • Max Working Pressure: 150 PSI
  • 8.4 lbs.
  • $219.00

comp%20out%20of%20box.JPG

And for kicks we'll throw in the winner from the other thread...
Super Flow
  • Maximum Voltage: 13.8 Volts
  • Maximum Amps: 30A
  • Horsepower: 1/3
  • Maximum Working Pressure: 120 PSI
  • Maximum Restart Pressure: 150 PSI
  • Maximum Operation Temp: 140°F
  • Minimum Operating Temp: -67°F
  • Maximum Continuous Cycle Time: 40 mins. @ 40 PSI @ 75°F
  • $24.99 MV-50 / $59.99 MF-1050
DSCF7046.JPG

Comparison:
Here is Peter Parks results to fill one tire:
Brand | Time 10-35 PSI | Highest Temp (1 LT225/75R16 Tire from 0-80PSI)
Viair | 3:17 | 161.4
QuickAir | 3:28 | 161.4
Supr Flow | 4:05 |242
ARB |6:55 |294

Last edited:

flyingwil

Superflow VS ViAir

Peter also has shown the side by side of the MV-50/MF-1050 and the ViAir 400.

Here you can see the two of them side by side. Although the Superflow (bottom) has a partial enclosure, the overall size and shape are very similar.
DSCF7304.jpg

The heads and air filters on both models. Notice not only the similar design, but even the casting on the heads looks the same.
DSCF7305.JPG

DSCF7306.JPG

Notice the similarities between the ends of the compressors, the feet, and the location of the power cords and switches.
DSCF7307.JPG

DSCF7309.JPG

The Superflow (left) and Viair (right) air chucks. Both feature deflators so you can fine tune easily.
DSCF7313.JPG

Makes me wonder if indeed the DV product is compiled mainly of parts from same manufacture and may indeed be a durable option as previously discussed in the other thread.

Westy

Adventurer
what are you looking to use the compressor for? will you be running an air tank as well? Do you plan to get ARB lockers ever? Have you looked into CO2 setups?

I would stay away from the ARB for filling tires, unless you plan to get air lockers anytime, then its a good backup source to say a CO2 setup.

I use the MV50, its about a year old and still running strong as new. I've probably used it 20+ times this year, filling up 35" tires from 8-10psi to 30 and it works great, fairly lightweight and reliable.

You can build your own CO2 setup for under $200 for a nice unit.

Also, this is a nice setup for a reasonable price, compared to some of the others I have seen:
http://www.formattfab.com/product_co2_tank.htm
tank.jpg

pangaea

Adventurer
asteffes said:
How many, say, 265/70-16 tires can one fill with a 10 or 20 pound tank of CO2?

According to PowerTank's info, The closest tire size match that I can find is a 30 x 9.5 x 15. Since ypu actually have a 16" rim, you'd probably get more than this. First column is amount of tire pressure increase, second number is the quantity of tires for a 10lb tank, then 15lb tank, then 20lb tank.

PSI Inc. 10lb 15lb 20lb
+10lbs - 68 - 102 - 136
+20lbs - 34 - 51 - 64
+30lbs - 22 - 33 - 44
+40lbs - 17 - 26 - 34

flyingwil

Westy said:
what are you looking to use the compressor for? will you be running an air tank as well? Do you plan to get ARB lockers ever? Have you looked into CO2 setups?

I want to stay away from CO2, because I am worried about leaks and being in remote area with no other source of air because my CO2 leaked, for a Trail rig, this would be my #1 choice, but for expedition use, I want to stay clear of the CO2 option.

I have a 5 gal air tank, and will be using that in conjunction with my compressor. I had a MV-50, that was loaned out and never returned, and time for a new one that will be hard mounted. Thus the homework time!

Wil

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Wil, Checker has a new compressor that are supposed to be out this week, similar to the MV50, but I am not sure what is different. I know they are going to be a bit more than the MV50's, but only by about $5-$10. I think you are looking for something a bit more durable and more easily mountable, but I thought I would give you a heads up. I think I am going to run to my neighborhood Checker this weekend and see if I can't pick one up.

+ d

Adventurer
it's pretty hard to pass up the MV-50 given the cost.

i'm not fooling myself that its gonna last forever, but the substantial savings was well allocated to other mods!

flyingwil

datrupr said:
Wil, Checker has a new compressor that are supposed to be out this week, similar to the MV50, but I am not sure what is different. I know they are going to be a bit more than the MV50's, but only by about $5-$10. I think you are looking for something a bit more durable and more easily mountable, but I thought I would give you a heads up. I think I am going to run to my neighborhood Checker this weekend and see if I can't pick one up.

Is it still made by DV? Any info such as name or part number would be appreciated.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Wil - I have a CO2 set up - the issue for me with CO2 is the freezing (when filling fast) the potential of running out and not being able to gauge it - and the cost to fill - in my area the only place I could find to fill it was a fire extinguisher place - 25 bucks and more for 20lbs-

I changed to the extremeaire compressor and have not looked back ( the CO2 is now a back up in the garage)

If you use your tank you will not need the blow-by valve to operate.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Wil, as far as I know the new compressor Check is coming out with is still made by DV. I did not get a chance to get down there this weekend, ,but I will try and check it out tomorrow after work, if they have some in stock.

flyingwil

datrupr said:
Wil, as far as I know the new compressor Check is coming out with is still made by DV. I did not get a chance to get down there this weekend, ,but I will try and check it out tomorrow after work, if they have some in stock.

Cool, let me know what you find out... I didn't see anything rig worthy on their main website.

flyingwil

I was kind of leaning towards the ViAir, seems to priced right for me, and performance seems to be at par. The ExtremeAir seems to be the most popular around here. Any one use the ViAir or any of the others mentioned in post #1?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier