80 series mudflaps

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Does anyone make an aftermarket mud flap for the 80 series that mounts to the stock location that is a bit more flexible then the stock plastic ones? I ask because I ripped one of my front flaps off today and have torn off the back ones in the past. It would be slick to have a soft rubber replacement.

Couldn't you just get a universal type rubber mud flap and mount it in the existing holes. I gave up on mud flaps for now. I plan on rhino lining the spray area from my tires. My paint is really getting chipped up in those areas.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Kristian, i think i researched this a little about a year ago and didn't really find anything that came ready bolt up to our OEM mounts. There is some australian company that made expedition grade flaps in all different colors.. but they had to be modified to fit our rig or something - not really what your looking for. I can't remember the name of the company either now.

I would just buy another used set of OEMs off mud. People take them off all the time. Even though they dont flex through terrain as well as they should you can always just buy another set. Mine are doing well after a year of nonstop trips and bendage.

mike h

Adventurer
Or you could take your OEM flap and trim it to about an inch long, then bolt a flexible piece of rubber to it. One caveat - I had soft rubber mudflaps on one of my trucks, and although they didn't break, they did end up getting sucked into the tires when reversing... not sure how to make one that is soft in one direction but holds its form when reversing in muck and rock...

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Northern Explorer said:
Couldn't you just get a universal type rubber mud flap and mount it in the existing holes. I gave up on mud flaps for now. I plan on rhino lining the spray area from my tires. My paint is really getting chipped up in those areas.

The factory fender flairs are designed with the mud flaps as an integral part at the bottom. Without the mudflaps it looks a bit shoddy. That's all.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
SOCALFJ said:
Kristian, i think i researched this a little about a year ago and didn't really find anything that came ready bolt up to our OEM mounts. There is some australian company that made expedition grade flaps in all different colors.. but they had to be modified to fit our rig or something - not really what your looking for. I can't remember the name of the company either now.

I would just buy another used set of OEMs off mud. People take them off all the time. Even though they dont flex through terrain as well as they should you can always just buy another set. Mine are doing well after a year of nonstop trips and bendage.

I figured if anyone had a line on them it would be you. You just saved me some looking.:)

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
mike h said:
Or you could take your OEM flap and trim it to about an inch long, then bolt a flexible piece of rubber to it. One caveat - I had soft rubber mudflaps on one of my trucks, and although they didn't break, they did end up getting sucked into the tires when reversing... not sure how to make one that is soft in one direction but holds its form when reversing in muck and rock...

That's an interesting idea that might have some merit. I like it. Might be a winter or spring project when I get some time. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz