Want to show off my toy... 2001 Suburban

kd0ezq

Hey everyone,

Last February, I asked you guys to help me decide to trade my 1991 suburban for this 2001. Well, I made the trade, and I've been playing with it ever since. I just did the lift this week, and am very happy with it, so I want to show it off!

The basics: 2001 Suburban 1/2 ton, 5.3, 4L60E, 282,000 miles!

Here it is the day I brought it home...
2001subdayIbroughtithome.jpg

Here it is now...
trailer014.jpg

Modifications done...

TreadWright LT265/75R16 10plys

Front and rear Ranch Hand Bumper Replacements
trailer015.jpg

trailer012.jpg

3" Front Keys, 3" rear Coil Spacers, shock extensions

Front and Rear Rancho RS5000 shocks

2003 and newer Center console, lower dash gauge bezel and radio bucket

K2500 Gauge Cluster
trailer018.jpg

Pioneer Double Din 2400BT with Ipod Control and XM radio
trailer016.jpg

Kenwood TM-D710 Dual Band Ham radio with APRS, Motorola Maratrac 6M ham radio, Uniden Digital Scanner, Ram Laptop Mount
trailer017.jpg

Maxxim 3/4" White LEDs tied into the Puddle lights and mounted on the running boards
trailer019.jpg

Silverstar Ultra headlight bulbs with 4 on hi mod, rear taillight guards, Spectre air filter, 20% tint on windows..

and coming as soon as UPS gets here, Dale JR. Evo wheels...

Thanks for looking, and keep all the tips coming... I have learned alot from you guys!

Tim B.
Victoria, Kansas

kd0ezq

Yes, I had to swap the whole cluster from the 2500 over, not just the overlay and the gauge motor. I then had to have the cluster reprogrammed to get the correct mileage which was a $150 bill at gm. I could have kept the original miles off the cluster, which was 240k, but I wanted to keep track of the actual, which is 283k.

It reads approximately 150 during my daily driving I do...

kd0ezq

elee
What all is involved with wiring the actual trans up tot he gauge?

If you have a 2001 to 2003 all you need is the cluster with the gauge in it. change out the clusters and you will have a working trans temp gauge, the ECM already monitors it and everything is in place.

If you have a 2003 to 2006 I think you can add the gauge but I think you have to have it reprogrammed to work correctly. Dont quote me, because I havent studied that since I dont have one...

what has been doen to the drive train in 283k miles(wow!)

rebuilt trans? axles?

The Trans was replaced around 100k. Other than that, the only thing that has been done is normal routine maintenance. I change oil every 3000 miles and run Valvoline high mileage oil and a quart of Lucas Oil Stabilizer. Im running a Spectre air filter, and grease it every oil change. I've had to replace the u joints recently in the rear driveline.

I've added dual batteries, and am working to change over to LED's in all the bulbs....

It is just a solid truck and I love it. I have a goal of making it to 400k!

kd0ezq

There is actually quite a story for the bumpers, we have a local website similliar to Craigslist. I was searching there one day and found an ad for a guy who just bought a pickup with ranch hand bumpers on it and he didnt like them, he wanted the factory ones. I call him and he says he hates the way they look, and wants the factory bumpers....

I took a two hour road trip and came home with these bumpers for FREE! I traded my factory ones straight across! The mounting for the rear was different, but we used some 4" channel and redid the mounting!

You can find the bumpers listed here.... http://www.ranchhand.com/

The front bumper is a Summit and the rear is a Legend.

Thanks for all the replies guys! The wheels just came in yesterday so this afternoon I will put another pic up with the new wheels on it!

Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne