Video for expedition documentation

Scott Brady

Founder
I am considering getting a 3CCD video camera for use while on adventures.

I really like the XL2.

xl2oblique2.jpg

sample1.jpg

I believe Graham and a few others have dabled in this, so I am looking for feedback from the pros :)

pangaea

Adventurer
Depends on your budget and what you want to do with the video stuff. If you're looking into producing for broadcast, my personal recommendation would be that if you have the $$$, go Hi-Def. That way you have something that will keep you current with the professional production standards for the forseeable future. If you want to do web video, standard def would be fine.

If you want to stick with standard def video, in addition to the XL-2 I would take a look at the Panasonic DVX-100. I've been very impressed with the stuff that I've seen coming out of it. It can shoot in 24p which gives its images a very film like look to them.

If you want to go Hi-Def, I'd suggest looking at either the XL-H1 (basically the HD version of the XL2 or the Panasonic AG-HVX200 (an HD version of the DVX100)

pangaea

Adventurer
One more thing to add about the XL system from Canon: I've always liked the XL cameras from Canon for the ability to change out lenses with the Canon AF lens system. Apparently, the XL lenses have a 35mm equiv factor of 7.2, meaning that if you're shooting with a 400mm lens, on an XL2, its the same as shooting with a 2880 lens on an 35mm (but I could be wrong). If you're going to do some wildlife work, thats a nice benefit. If you've got an extra $80K to drop, you could get this bad boy and use it on both your XL and SLR:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/images/images17.php

ErrinV

Observer
I work in tv and I can second the Panasonic DVX-100. I'm not a cameraman, but an editor so I see the difference all the time. The 24P looks really cool. Also, the XL-2 is nice, but the GL1 is a little more compact I think, probably similar size to the Panasonic. Not sure how much you really plan on carrying extra lenses with you to benefit from the XL-2.

Errin

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I have been asking the same questions myself due to a opportunity that came up for some brodcasting...

The top of my list right now is the Sony HDR-FX1 partly due to recommendations from people like Helge Pederson. Helge is adventure motorcycling personified and is the owner of http://www.globeriders.com He has literally thousands of travel hours with a camera. You might want to investigate that camera as well to see if it fits your needs.

The Panasonic DVX-100 is also an excellent camera - excellent for expedition travel as it is quite durable and provides excellent quality in a variety of elements. If I'm not mistaken, that is the camera used by Ewan and Charlie to film many of the components (the handheld shots and diary segments) of the Long Way Round series.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
XL2KIT...~$4100
DVX100...~$3500
Sony HDRFX1 is consumer-grade Sony. Sony's excellent pro-grade HD 1080i cam is the HVRZ1U..~$4900

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Don't discount the HDR-FX1 because it's consumer or "pro-sumer". Take a read of the test reports on the web... It's a great camera for the money.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
mountainpete said:
It's a great camera for the money.

Yes it is. You're right (I dealer them) I just caution Scott. No question an XL2 and the DVX100 will hold up much better though. Scott lives an active lifestyle. My suggestion to him is to buy durability first, then the best quality cam he can afford.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
ShottsCruisers said:
Yes it is. You're right (I dealer them) I just caution Scott. No question an XL2 and the DVX100 will hold up much better though. Scott lives an active lifestyle. My suggestion to him is to buy durability first, then the best quality cam he can afford.

Cool... you're right.

Side point for my benefit: if size was a factor, what would you recommend out of the ones that you are a dealer for? Let's say if you need to carry it in a topcase of a motorcycle and want TV production quality...

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
mountainpete said:
Cool... you're right.

Side point for my benefit: if size was a factor, what would you recommend out of the ones that you are a dealer for? Let's say if you need to carry it in a topcase of a motorcycle and want TV production quality...

WOW.....nothing with a tape transport for sure (on a cycle). I'd think vibration would screw it up...unless it's on a Goldwing. On a bike....I'd snag a camera then run into a separate recording deck stored elsewhere. No idea what I'd use though. (This is not my forte'. I sell mainly to education and govt and they don't request this stuff).

Cool idea. Hmmm, record on memory cards...HDisk...interesting.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
ShottsCruisers said:
Right on. Yes. Something like this or a Firestore drive, etc.

Too bad you couldn't just copy over to some 60 GIG iPods. A lot cheaper storage and pretty much shock proof!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles