New Tire Warranty ?

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
What do you all think about the extra road hazard warranties that you can purchase along with new tires?

Example:
Discount Tire has a pro-rated warranty that is free with new tires,
And then they have a life time free replacement for damage by road hazards that is about $20 extra per tire.

vanguard

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
What do you all think about the extra road hazard warranties that you can purchase along with new tires?

Example:
Discount Tire has a pro-rated warranty that is free with new tires,
And then they have a life time free replacement for damage by road hazards that is about $20 extra per tire.
I just bought new tires (see the I blame Scott thread) and I bought Discount Tire's warranty. I had read on the TTORA forum of several people that had really good luck with them getting replaced after they tore off a few lugs. Before I bought it I asked, "Are you going to cover them if I damage them off road?"

He said, "Yes."

I said, "Ok, but I plan to really abuse these things while trail riding at tellico, Uwharrie, etc. You're not going to have a problem with that?"

He said, "Nope. You can drive the truck off a cliff and land tire side first. If they are damaged we'll replace them. The only thing we don't cover is uneven wear from a bad alignment."

I said, "Ok. I'd like to have you sipe them. Will they still be covered?"

He said, "Yes."

So I bought it. Time will tell if it was a good decision.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I've replaced quite a few tires on Discounts tire policy... well worth the money to me. :beer:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Get the extra warranty from discount, they will cover just about anything on the tires, with no questions asked.

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Discount has always been very good to the 4wd community as far as tire replacements are concerned. Their "lifetime" balance deal (used to cost ~$30 on top of the normal "one time" balancing costs) have also proven to be quite nice.

They also will do free repairs on any tire (if it is repairable....don't take your tire with a hole in the sidewall in to them....they won't fix that). It doesn't matter where you bought the tire...if you pick up a nail, etc, they will take the tire off, patch it (no plugs), remount the tire, and I have been able to get them to re-balance it for free in the past too.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Discount does seem to bea the best bet for tire shops.
I was surprized at how tire buying has an element of haggling involved!

I went into one DT to check out some tires but they did not have any in stock to look at so we only talked about pricing. Then I went to another with a larger show room and inventory. They had the tires in stock for me to look at and when we got to talking about pricing they brought the pricing down without me even asking. It was about $40 less than the 1st DT I talked to!

They will also price match if you find it less somewhere else in town.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
A lot of people are talking about Discount Tire, but one other warranty (that requires brand change) is the BigO tires. They have 100% tread life warranty, no questions and no extra $. I personally have had very good luck with their XT truck line, though I know there are some who dislike their brand.

Just something else to think about. I went BigO in the past due to $ and the fact that Moab (and everywhere else) has a shop :)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Did Big-O change their warranty? It used to be 100% replacement up to 50% tread wear, then it was pro-rated after that. The warranty is probably the biggest reason I always shop at Discount.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Good question. Maybe my purchase was long enough ago. It was 100% covered for 100% tread life; maybe they did change it...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles