Volkswagen Synchro Vanagon

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
I was tempted to add this to the light duty offroaders thread but figured it doesn't quite fit in that category, although in spirit I think it does. There are some really cool expedition rigs that have been built out of these. When equipped in the Westafalia edition, they have many of the things that you'd want to typically modify a rig with to make it expedition worthy, stock. Available locking diffs. They don't have a transfer case but do have a super low crawling gear. Incredible interior space for the size with whatever amenty you could want (sink, stove, fridge, multiple beds, camper pop up top. Cool stuff. I figured the membership of this forum could find these interesting as it seems everyone here is pretty open minded and appreciates different brands and engineering approaches. Here's some pictures...

15315180-1b60-02000155-.jpg

15314982-99ab-02000165-.jpg

Mikes.jpg

getImage.pl

15331864-06fd-015E00E6-.jpg

Here's a site with some trip reports and randome things....
http://a4.cpimg.com/image/18/F0/15331864-06fd-015E00E6-.jpg

VikingVince

Explorer
I love the Syncro...it's quite capable...nice to see those pics. A good used one is hard to find. I wish VW would wise up and manufacture them again! Seems to me there would be a significant market for them. I had '79 VW camper van and I loved it...wish I had never sold it...although it slowed down going uphill, was air cooled and needed a valve job every 75K miles! But a well designed vehicle that the American market never equaled...with the exception of the custom made, expensive Sportsmobile.

CLynn85

Explorer
I've always thought they were kinda cool, especially the ones you posted that are modified. Wish they werre more avail. Didn't they have an AWD version of one of the newer vans a few years back?

There's a regular V-dub van camper I see around campus every tues/thurs on my way to Heat Transfer and I start getting evil thoughts.... :hehe:

Scott Brady

Founder
I think they are very cool, and can be had with three diff locks.

Chris and I travelled through the Altar with one in 2004. Lap of luxury when in camp!

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
To funny I had a customer come my shop with one today. We got into a big discusion about everywhere it had been. I'll just say that it had more then a few miles on it.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Those are really cool!!!

They REALLY hold their value too! I have seen them here in So Cal for upwards of $15K. They actually made a "heavier" version, which I believe was called 16. It came with 16 rims, and a host of other heavy-duty options.

The only problem is the VW Waterboxer motor. They aren't very reliable once they get up in mileage. Although, you can now swap in one of the Subaru WRX Pancake engines. Those are nowhere close to being slow!

Here's to VW!!!

:jump:

XXXpedition

Explorer
i've been fantasising about modifying one...
but you know me - it would not be THAT easy fitting 33's or bigger under it.

Last edited:

60seriesguy

Adventurer
You'd be surprised how many times in Venezuela we'd be on expedition, 6-7 Land Cruisers loaded for bear, thinking nobody could possibly be on the same remote trail, and then you'd come across one of these with Euro plate, a blonde couple and three children sitting under the awning enjoying a snack! Major reality check....

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
expeditionswest said:
Chris and I travelled through the Altar with one in 2004. Lap of luxury when in camp!

Yes, that would be Wes' rig. Very sweet (and clean!) well maintained 4wd Syncro. He has added some goodies to it (including rear rack - see pic) and has since taken it on a western states tour as far north as Oregon, and back down through Utah. Very well laid out machine.

syncro-rack.jpg

Pics from the Altar trip...

L_egpin003.jpg

L_egpin016.jpg

http://www.bajataco.com/sonoranorte/L_egpin003.jpg

I think in close to stock form (A/T tires and little if any lift) they are great on unimproved surfaces, but the clearance and angles will present problems in very technical terrain (deep gully crossings, rock shelfs, etc) I think some lift, skid protection, and larger tires will allow it to tackle more serious stuff, like the SynroMog in the 1st photo in the 1st post, which has done Cliff Hanger, Metal Masher, Pritchet Canyon, Hells Revenge and Golden Spike, all in Moab. Granted, he did take some bypasses and received some assistance, but overall the accomplishment is highly respectable and impressive!

You can read the Syncromog Moab trip reports HERE

Another couple of photos HERE and HERE

underdog

Hi. I'm new to this forum. A friend of mine pointed me in this direction. I just wanted to throw in my 2cents worth. I've got a Vanagon Westy that is just a great vehicle. It's an excellent, compact and manuverable package that has everything my wife and I need for getting into the backcountry. Mines not the 4WD Syncro (Oh yeah, I definitely lust after one of those but VW only exported a couple thousand of them into the US and a really good one will fetch $20K or more) but with care, I've gotten mine into some pretty remote places. My main adventure vehicle is my BMW R80GS. I've ridden mine from Prudhoe Bay, AK to the tip of the Baja peninsula and into the Mexican mainland. You'll most likely see me posting more frequently in the motorcylces section.

Vanagon 2.JPG

Here's my VW camped in the Arizona desert.

Scott Brady

Founder
Sweet; a VW Westy and a BMW GS.

I would really like to hear more about your trip from AK to Mexico. Maybe start a new thread if you are so inclined...

Welcome to the forum, there are many of us in AZ :camping:

underdog

expeditionswest said:
Sweet; a VW Westy and a BMW GS.

I would really like to hear more about your trip from AK to Mexico. Maybe start a new thread if you are so inclined...

To be clear, it wasn't a single trip. The longest one was the trip from Flagstaff to Prudhoe Bay this past summer. Total of 10,000 miles in a month. For someone who's got a regular job and family obligations it was the trip of a lifetime. I'll try to round up some pictures and do a little write up on the trip sometime in the near future. It'll end up getting posted in the motorcycle section. Did the length of Baja the year before and been into Mexico on several other occasions. I just love motorcycle touring. Since I bought the Westy, last year, I'm starting to do some trips with it since my wife can go along (she doesn't care for the motorcycle. And besides, it's a PITA to do any serious backcountry motorcycling two up). It doesn't mean that I'll have to cut back on the motorcycle trips. It just means more trips overall.:luxhello:

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I always liked these since I was a kid! Westfalia edition right?
How are the new EuroVan Westfalia's? They look quite nice altho they are quite a bit larger I think.

Also, I hear they will make the MicroBus concept- which I think it really cool!
vwmicrobus.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles