Building an 88 4runner for overland!

bluerunner

Adventurer
HI, my name is Louis and I would like to set my 4runner up for vehicle dependent travels. I would appreciate any advice and or ideas, or a mentor! :D

Thanks

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The first thing you need to do is figure out exactly what you want your vehicle to accomplish. What kind of trails do you want to traverse, how far do you want to be able to travel without fuel stops, do you want to sleep in the vehicle (as opposed to in a tent or a trailer), will you be travelling solo, or with other people, will this be a daily driver, or just a vehicle used on the trips, etc.

There are several people here with a wide range of knowledge that can point you in the right direction. Some of us are even in your neck of the woods (or desert, as the case may be).

Scott Brady

Founder
Hello Louis, welcome to the forum.

Building a vehicle for expedition travel is a wonderful proposition, and not because of the way the vehicle will look or perform (though that is a bonus), but where it will take you.

I will start by putting things in perspective though: Your 4Runner, with only a few basic modifications, and a thorough servicing can literally travel around the world. You do not need to spend a bunch of money on the vehicle.

Where the majority of your expense and time will be spent is in the logistics of planning the trip, testing equipment, learning the routes and language, etc.

But for now, here is a start on the vehicle side of things. I just recently posted this on another forum, but feel it to be appropriate here as well:

1. Start with a great vehicle: You already have that
2. Install HD tires, like the MTR or BFG AT/MT rated at D or higher. Trend towards a narrower section width but tall height, which allows good clearance, less lift and better efficiency (like a 265/75, 235/85 or 255/85)
3. Organization and loading: This is VERY critical. Heavy loads down low and light loads up top. Avoid a roof rack if at all possible, unless lightly loaded or for a roof tent. Build a load system for all of your major equipment needs. Have a well organized kitchen, accessible recovery gear, etc. You will be living out of the vehicle, so it is critical that it be organized and safe. This is WAY more important than big tires and a lift IMO.
4. Passenger comfort: Have a comfortable place to drive, good seats, well organized cockpit, a place for the cameras, sunglasses, hats, bug repellent, etc. Have a comfortable and easy to set-up sleeping system. It should only take 10-15 minutes from parking the car to having a comfortable and dry bed. A fridge is a must IMHO.
5. Navigation and Communication: Know where you are and where you are going with a redundant system. Know how to use a map and compass, and have an exit plan. Be able to communicate with your travel partners clearly, and over great distances (2m is my preference).
6. REALLY GOOD SUSPENSION. Don't skimp here. It needs to ride comfortably and reliably all day long, for weeks on end with loads at or above GVW.
7. Quality support systems: Air compressors, dual batteries, recovery systems (winch, etc.) are all critical, and should be well thought out, designed and easily serviced. If you can't repair the systems on your vehicle, (unsupported) expedition travel is probably not a good choice.
8. Technical trail modifications: These are usually the first thing addressed, but really are not that important on an expedition as you will most likely be traveling "roads". I tend to search out very rough tracks in Mexico with deep water crossing and heavy erosion so lockers and snorkels are appropriate, but still not required.
9. TEST, TEST, TEST: Never bolt mods on your truck the night before a trek. Test all systems thoroughly.
10. This is last on this list, but probably as important as number one: The trek is not about the vehicle, but about the experience and adventure. Visiting a distant place that a fraction of the population will even see in books. The vehicle and all of these modifications can be a distraction to the real intent of the expedition. Don't be afraid to stop the vehicle and talk with the locals, be friendly and generous, especially when traveling in other countries. I always bring several 24 packs of Coke, as it is the ultimate "ice breaker".

bluerunner

Adventurer
Scott,

Thank you, I look forward to tackling different terrain. It has always been a dream of mine to meet like minded people and to travel the world... but like the motto says "always be prepared" I just want to try and have all of my bases covered. Your truck looks great and so does everyone elses but more than anything I enjoy looking at the trips that were taken. I want to learn as much as I can from you guys as I know I will!

Thanks for the welcomes! :lurk:

P.S. Scott get more SMILEY's

Attachments

• Mikes pictures 079.jpg
    Mikes pictures 079.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Mikes pictures 001.jpg
    Mikes pictures 001.jpg
    831.8 KB · Views: 2
  • All 4 Fun Pics II 2011 015.JPG
    All 4 Fun Pics II 2011 015.JPG
    675.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Unlimited TJ 006.JPG
    Unlimited TJ 006.JPG
    559.3 KB · Views: 1
  • TJ shift and position light 002.JPG
    TJ shift and position light 002.JPG
    701 KB · Views: 1
  • TJ 6.0 Vortec 005.JPG
    TJ 6.0 Vortec 005.JPG
    807.8 KB · Views: 2
  • TJ 6.0 Vortec 003.JPG
    TJ 6.0 Vortec 003.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
  • Pass Hoppers 9.12 012.JPG
    Pass Hoppers 9.12 012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Scott Brady

Founder
I know many of us will enjoy helping you along the journey!

on the smiley's, I will work on it... I have a few I have collected that I really like. I will post them soon. :D

Scott Brady

Founder
So please tell us more about your 4Runner, the modifications completed and the areas you are interested in exploring. That will help get the ideas flowing.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I would have to echo Scotts great suggestions -

The Engel fridge - Dual batteries/Hellroaring switch

The suspension/tires - Donahoe//Deaver/Bilsteins -BFG-MT

have made the biggest difference vehicle wise in my adventure experiances.

Once out there #10 is what it is all about - in Moab handing out a simple bottle of cold water out of my fridge to a bicyclist was worth the smiles and conversation -

Welcome Louis ! to one of the best virtual adventure spots on the net

Scott Brady

Founder
great point Robbie. I have heard some explorers push the fact that you should not take more than you would in a backpack (with the exception of water and food provisions) If that is all you did, and included a solid spares kit and med. kit, a SWB would be a real possibility.

bluerunner

Adventurer
Many thanks again guys for the welcomes!

It is a 1988 Toyota 4runner, the interior is mostly stock with the exception of a cd player and I pulled the carpet.

The powerplant is a 3.0 V-6 which has been getting most of my attention... just giving it a good tune up, replacing hoses, fluids, starter, plugs, wires radiator, you know the good stuff! I added a K&N FIPK and followed it through with a Borla cat back.

The exterior of the vehicle has a TJM front bumper a Con-ferr roof rack and a KMA rear bumper/ tire combo and has a can back soft-top, rock sliders (yet to be mounted) 4in Ranch lift and 33in BIG O's.

In the process of planning a SAS and searching for a good axle, plan to run bilsteins front and rear with the shocks relocated in the rear and stronger springs to accomodate the tire carrier and more gear.

I plan to remove the Con-ferr rack and use it atop my 88" Series III and would like to put a full length rack on the 4runner so I can anchor the tent cot to it. Anyway blah blah blah and the list goes on and on!

And I am intrested in travelling anywhere, everywhere and seeing and meeting different people, cultures and places!

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Post a few photos went you can...

>> I once fixed up an old carpenter coach flat nose bus - loaded it full and traveled the USA - talk about large and in charge :shakin: - a fun yet weighty trip :Wow1: [ I will have to dig up photos and scan them for posting at some point ]

Now... I am in a constant state of redefining what I actually need to bring along to survive while traveling - less can be so much more

bluerunner

Adventurer
HA thats awesome, nothing like being on the open road!

I'll get some photos up soon, I want to get out this weekend and do a little something, so i'll post some photos of that too!

:wavey:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Desertdude said:
Post a few photos went you can...

>> I once fixed up an old carpenter coach flat nose bus - loaded it full and traveled the USA - talk about large and in charge :shakin: - a fun yet weighty trip :Wow1: [ I will have to dig up photos and scan them for posting at some point ]

Now... I am in a constant state of redefining what I actually need to bring along to survive while traveling - less can be so much more

Yes, please start scanning! That is too cool.

Lighter is better, in some instances. At the present, I'm a great example of travelling light. All my crap for up to 5 days fits in my jeep wrangler, with room for the dog left over....and probably staying well clear of GVW. The down side is that I sacrafice alot of creature comforts...no hot showers, no gourmet dinners (unless Scott has mercy on me and hosts a group dinner ;) ), ride quality is diminished, and I don't have room to bring the girlfriend along (uh....that could also fall under the advantages list, depending on the circumstances).....

Now when I am backpacking, it is taken to yet another level....my total pack weight is usually under 35 pounds, up to a week.

But, keep in mind that you may need to accomidate a woman in your travels. Don't cut out all the comfort items, or you may end up travelling solo all the time. Steve S is a good example. As I understand it, Anita didn't like camping that much when they met...but after setting up the back of his tacoma to be as comfortable as possible, it is his wife that is asking "when are we going camping again?". How cool is that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne