Airbox: Will it work?

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
After ditching the stock airbox a few years ago, (I installed the cheap version of a cold air intake) I realized the cold air kit really wasn't, so I used 2 inch foam to seal the heat sheild against the hood. This blocked the hot, underhood air and it worked quite well. Then I got a ram air setup that picks up from the bumper and brings fresh air right to the air filter. However for off roading purposes this setup is far from ideal. So I changed my setup. I picked up a 6 dollar battery box from Walmart, cut holes in it for the ramair tube and the intake tube. With the lid on and the vents of the box sealed it operates only on the ramair tube. For off road: remove the lid, seal the ramair tube with PVC fitting, remove foam, replace lid. Now it breathes from the down facing battery vents. The open filter with the heat shield and ramair seemed quite susceptible to water splash (and I have been up to bumper level so far).
My thought with the battery box was: water has to be as deep as the top of the motor before it would get into the box, not quite a snorkel, but closer than the open filter. Before I test it in the pools at the Outer Banks, tell me your opinions and thoughts. Am I thinking correctly? Am I nuts? Will it work?

Attachments

• airbox 1.jpg
    airbox 1.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 42
  • airbox 2.jpg
    airbox 2.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 51

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
My first thought is that it will work, however you will want to seal the box in the rear around your cold air pipe. I am not too familiar with you and your adventures in your tundra, so I can not really give you sound advice. But if you plan on encountering water only occasionally your set up should work. But if you plan on fording water, I would be a bit hesitant because of the down splashes, but think it would work. I honestly would sell the cold air kit and go back to stock and get a snorkel if you are worried about it. A $300 snorkel sure beats a new engine price tag.

asteffes

Explorer
Sounds like a big PITA. I would go back to the stock setup (including stock filter), or consider a snorkel and be done with it.

gjackson

FRGS
Should work fine, so long as you know your wading depth and don't exceed it. Don't forget that in deeper water that comes over the front of the engine the fan will spray it all over the place. So long as you know where your intake is you should be fine. And also don't forget that the axles breathe as well, I'm not sure where the axle breathers go to on a Toy, but if it lower than your airbox then that will define your wading depth.

cheers

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
I must admit the original intention of the battery box was not as a water guard; I did not mean to imply that it was to be a "snorkel lite" but the design of the box looks as if it will provide added protection against any overzealous behavior in the water I do very occasionally encounter. Bumper deep has been the most so far. Back to original intent: The box is smaller than both the stock box and my heat shield which provides some needed space for my air compressor! It was a cheap alternative to cutting and welding a new heat shiel or rerouting the power steering resevoir. I must say that after only a couple of days the ramair seems more effective this way. Thanks for the input guys.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles