Circular vs. Linear Polarizing Filters

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Forgive my ignorance as I try to learn about all the accessories for my G9 - but what are the differences in linear and circular Polarized lenses? Here is a pic from the website selling them - as they are kinda spendy I don't want to toss my $ away.

The goal is to have bluer skies, better definition, etc. Any thoughts are appreciated.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Get circular. Linear tends to mess with modern AF and metering systems. Linear also tends to be warmer.

mmtoy

Adventurer
An okay explanation here

In very general terms, if you have an SLR or an autofocus or autometer, you need a circular polarizer. If your camera doesn't have an internal mirror and you are in control of the focus and metering, you can use either a linear polarizing filter or a circular polarizing filter and you will get the same effect.

Basically, for newer cameras: go circular.

paulj

Expedition Leader
I bought both linear and circular filters - used from camera shops. My Pentax DS works fine with either. The polarization is deeper with the circular one, but that is about the only difference that I can see. AF is not messed up; most shots when using the filter are landscapes, and hence focus at infinity anyways.

It was easy to find a linear one that fits my main lens (52mm). The only circular one that I found was a few mm larger, so I had to also get a step up ring. That means I can't use the lens at is widest zoom, because the ring and filter cause vignetting.

If you are going to buy new, go ahead get the circular. But if you find an inexpensive linear one, go ahead an experiment with it.

paulj

Photog

Explorer
I also have the G9, G3 and G5 models. The non-SLR cameras, like your G9, work fine with either type of filter. I always buy the circular polarizers, so the filters can be used on any of my SLR lenses, if necessary. I just like being consistent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier