2004 Wrangler Unlimited Build: Need advice on interior space, more.

I have a 2004 Wrangler Unlimited that I am in the process of building for expeditions, light rock crawling and daily driver. I'd like to get some advice on for interior space. At this time it is Me, My wife and our tail gunner (daughter) so getting rid of the back seat is not an option. The current plan is to keep the lift down to 2.5" - 3" to accommodate challenges for my wife and keep a low center of gravity.

Current Build:
Front Dana 44 Eaton Elocker 4.56 (MOPAR but not Rubicon)
Rear Dana 44 stock limited slip 4.56
31x10.50R15 on 15x10 wheels w/ 3.5" Back Spacing
Stock suspension
Off Road Only manual Sway-Loc anti sway bar.
Front bumper: Extreme Corner bumper that has proven itself against trees, rocks and cars (Ebay seller no longer in business)
Rear bumper: Tomken w/ swing out tire carrier, dual gas can mount (can also carry up to 10 gallons of water or 5 gallons of water & tools using the Rampage Locking Trail Can Tool Box
Hi-Lift Jack mounted across the Tomken swing arm below the spare tire.
KC TJ Fog lights
Warn XD9000i winch
Cobra CB stored in Tuffy Dual Overhead Security Console
Tuffy Glove Box
Tuffy LJ Unlimited Security Drawer
AEV Highline Fenders. (The Metal Cloaks pictured are either going on my '97 TJ or will be sold)
Coleman Powerchill 40QT Thermoelectric cooler (I'd like to have an ARB fridge but that was what was in my budget at the time)
Be Cool Aluminum Radiator

Immediate Future Plans:In no certain order
2.5" - 3" lift
1" Body & motor mount lift w/ M.O.R.E Bomb Proof engine block brackets
33"-35" Tires (I'm actually leaning toward 315-70R17 Duratracs)
Belly up skid plate
SPOD Source 6 Circuit Power Distribution System
Dual Battery
KC Long Range, Flood & Reverse lights
Genright 31.5 Gallon LJ Safari Gas Tank (Will allow up to 41.5 gallons of fuel w/ Tomken gas can mounts)
Snorkel

Distant Future Plans:
Rubicrawler gear reduction box
Truss Front and Rear axles
Upgrade Rear axle to full floating (Easier trail repairs & spare shaft will take up less room)
Kilby Onboard air source
Roof Rack
Solar energy source

41180_1564841561961_1028396_n.jpg41180_1564841601962_344604_n.jpg41180_1564841641963_3608973_n.jpg194214_1929105908342_3690273_o.jpg29367_4674216134382_1037525767_n.jpg[

Last edited:

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
Welcome Dave. Nice rig. I actually like the MC fenders, but some do not.

Your build plans seem reasonable, but I prefer tall/skinny tires like the 255/86-16s. You will also need hub spacers to keep the wide/tall tires out of the fenders, as well as more lift. I would also put that snorkel at the bottom of the list, then forget about it, but you will hear many opinions on that.

JKS 1.25" BL and a 2.5" OME heavy/heavy suspension kit has mine just where I want it. I ran the 255/85s with just the body lift without any substantial contact. Any more than 2-3" on a short arm suspension makes the ride deteriorate, but again you will hear many opinions on that.

Bigjerm

SE Expedition Society
Welcome. Nice rig and nice plans! With the MC fenders and that much lift your 35's might feel a little small. Click on the build thread in my Signature and see some pictures. My LJ has 2" suspension and 1" BL with 35's and has lots of room for travel.

I got the Jeep back from the body shop yesterday after having the AEV fenders painted and installed. Sorry no pictures yet; I still need to get the grill painted. All and all I am happy with the new look. They acheive nearly the same results as the Metal Cloak fenders I had with a much more subtle look and they are significantly lighter than the MCs. My front end rose almost 1" with the change from MC to AEV.

I have decided I'll knock the rust off the MCs, primer them really good and put them on ebay.

31x10.50r15s aren't cutting it anymore. My next choice is 33s now which will fit on my current setup and budget or wait for 35s which I want more but will require a little more building on my Jeep and therefore have a greater over all cost. Hmmm... descisions descisions.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
Jeep brakes are barely adequate with the stock tires. 35's on stock brakes, you are a gambling man.

In my opinion 35's are just not worth it. You need to upgrade a lot of components to run 35's right and even then, its a huge stress on everything from wheel bearings to ujoints and the entire driveline. I went from 30" tires to 33's to 35''s and back to 33's. Off road they really shine but i just wasn't wheeling that hard anymore to actually need 35's. If you want to actually stop your jeep on 35's go with a Vanco hydraulic brake system.

Just food for thought.

mike3081

Jeep brakes are barely adequate with the stock tires. 35's on stock brakes, you are a gambling man.

In my opinion 35's are just not worth it. You need to upgrade a lot of components to run 35's right and even then, its a huge stress on everything from wheel bearings to ujoints and the entire driveline. I went from 30" tires to 33's to 35''s and back to 33's. Off road they really shine but i just wasn't wheeling that hard anymore to actually need 35's. If you want to actually stop your jeep on 35's go with a Vanco hydraulic brake system.

Just food for thought.

Agreed. I went with a tummy tuck so I could get the clearance with a smaller tire for these exact reasons. The difference in rotating mass between the 33s and 35s is considerable.

Great looking lj, good luck with your build!

mike3081

To give you an idea, my LJ on 305s....

dsc0427wx.jpg

jscusmcvet

Explorer

Just food for thought.

Nomadic LJ hits it on the head with this. Sparing you too much detail, I have just shy of 200,000 miles when you combine the two Rubicons I have had. On my 2003 we were doing a lot of rocks and hard trails and went to 35's. My trrail buddies also went to 35's or even 37's. In every instance if the jeep on 35's did not upgrade components such as axle shafts, ujoints, brakes, etc... there was a guaranteed failure on the trail. More to the poiint, the gain in offroad ability from 33's to 35's is negligible. Granted that was on a short wheelbase. Now on my 2005 LJ Rubicon I am at 31's with a belly up skid and armor and to be honest go where I want, many of the same trails as before, just easier lines and being less brutal with it.

My suggestion is for you to first do a belly up (might require a body lift of 1 - 1.25" look at Savvy and UCF), make sure you have an engine skid to match, rocker guards, diff guards, etc... and with those AEV's on there mount a set of properly spaced rims (3.5 - 4" BS in my opinion), trim the rear wheel well where the plastic encroaches the well, have a well set up recovery plan (good winch, high lift, etc...) and you will be all set and covered for all reasonable wheelinbg/trails/rocks here in the southeast. Will you be running with the buggies? No, but they wont be driving their rigs home with wife aboard etiher.

Best of luck to you, enjoy it, great platform.

John

Zeep

Adventurer
Welcome Dave. Nice rig. I actually like the MC fenders, but some do not.

Your build plans seem reasonable, but I prefer tall/skinny tires like the 255/86-16s. You will also need hub spacers to keep the wide/tall tires out of the fenders, as well as more lift. I would also put that snorkel at the bottom of the list, then forget about it, but you will hear many opinions on that.

JKS 1.25" BL and a 2.5" OME heavy/heavy suspension kit has mine just where I want it. I ran the 255/85s with just the body lift without any substantial contact. Any more than 2-3" on a short arm suspension makes the ride deteriorate, but again you will hear many opinions on that.

This is the type of route I plan to go with my '05. Along with a aluminum belly up, plus any thing else to keep it as light as possible.

Thanks for all of the advice. For now I have decided to stay with 33s on the LJ. When I get around to it, I will put 35s on my '97 TJ which I have been planning on building as a dedicated play rig. That project is pretty far on the back burner. After tires, a belly skid and rocker guards will be my next upgrade. The front has CroMo shafts but I chose not to upgrade the U-joints. I know this sounds crazy but I rather break a u-joint instead of of a shaft or ring gear. The winch and Hi-Lift jack were my very first upgrades and what I always recommend to others as their first upgrade. Fortunately, I have used it more on other people than myself. I know my Jeep's limits.

One thing I am really curious about is interior storage for a family friendly expedition vehicle. I have been looking at Tuffy's universal Roof Rack Lockbox will help alleviate some of the interior limitations.

mike3081

Damn! They are proud of that thing!!

I've been trying to justify a roof rack. I love the looks, but there are just too many drawbacks for me. I want a low as possible COG. But, I dont travel with little ones so the added space may be needed in your case.

My buddy has a roof rack and found some used pelican cases on craigslist. Some carriage bolts and fender washers and they were secured very well. A much cheaper alternative and much lighter. Just an idea...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94