Ruller's M101 Build

nruller

Observer
Okay, I picked up my M101 CDN and am now looking to start planning the build. I plan on having it sandblasted and repainted, spring over, and a hub swap. First, I would like to fab up a lid for the RTT. I am open to any input as to recommendations from people who have been through this already.

Here is a pic of how it sits right now...
DSC_3424.jpg

nruller

Observer
My plan is to do the Hub swap and soa of Desertdude and the lid, paint, and perhaps eezi awn of BajaExplorer...

I am just curious to know if there are things that people have done to their trailers that they would improve, abandon, or keep if they were to do it all over again. I don't want to do things two or three times. I do know that many have complained that they did not get a strong enough strut for the lids. That is something I will make sure I do right. Also, I have heard to avoid recessed latches on your lid as they act as funnels for water...

nruller

Observer
So I did the hub swap today. I got a pair of 6 bolt drums for a little under 50 bucks a piece. It was the best pricing I could find in Canada. My parking brake is seized and I am debating removing it completely. Can anyone comment on whether it is much of a necessity?

durango_60

Explorer
nruller said:
Can anyone comment on whether it is much of a necessity?

I'd say it is really worth having especially when manhandling the trailer by yourself. I also wouldn't want to be without it if you ever have to detach the trailer from your vehicle because of a really tight swithback.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
I have said this before and I'll say it again... :D

...I wouldn't sand blast it and repaint it, I would touch up the rust with a flap disk, prime it those areas and then scuff the rest of the paint and then repaint it. You have a MIL SPEC finish on that trailer, there is nothing else on the market that will hold up that well for the DIY. I think this is usually a case of I am going to "X" becuase most people have done "X".

Spending the coin to have a great finish blasted off just to put on an inferior finish just doesn't add up to me. Your trailer looks in WAY better than average shape. I would save the coin and time, and put that cash into other upgrades.

Just my .02 Great looking trailer.

Rezarf <><

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
Awesome trailer!

M101 trailer lid build Here

a few photos of my M101 here

Jay S. said:
Did you happen to get the trailer from Michele Knautz up in Quebec?
(www.militarytires.com)
I've had a trailer ordered from her (them?) since October 31st and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.
Sometimes she takes a while but always seems to delivers. (snowy cold up there now)

:::

nruller

Observer
Rezarf <>< said:
I have said this before and I'll say it again... :D

...I wouldn't sand blast it and repaint it, I would touch up the rust with a flap disk, prime it those areas and then scuff the rest of the paint and then repaint it. You have a MIL SPEC finish on that trailer, there is nothing else on the market that will hold up that well for the DIY. I think this is usually a case of I am going to "X" becuase most people have done "X".

Spending the coin to have a great finish blasted off just to put on an inferior finish just doesn't add up to me. Your trailer looks in WAY better than average shape. I would save the coin and time, and put that cash into other upgrades.

Just my .02 Great looking trailer.

Rezarf <><

Thanks for the input. I am happy with the overall condition of the paint, however the interior of the tub is fairly rusty (surface). Do I need to remove all of the rust prior to covering? Could I just use herculiner or something after a decent prep of the area?

nruller

Observer
Desertdude said:
Awesome trailer!

M101 trailer lid build Here

a few photos of my M101 here

Sometimes she takes a while but always seems to delivers. (snowy cold up there now)

:::

I have been using both of your links already in my prep. I have found them quite useful considering I didn't know what the hell I was getting into...

nruller

Observer
So I am looking into my lighting. I am thinking about removing the existing brackets all together. The thought is to recess some 6 inch oval LED lights into the tub. I figure then I don't need to worry about them getting knocked around. Any thought on this? Does anyone know how I would go about cutting the tub to recess these?

776a_1.jpg

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I know those mount in a rubber grommet ("torsion mount" in their words), but would doing that open up the tub to dust entry? The lights themselves are waterproof, but I don't know that the mounts are too.

I would buy one of the metal light tabs made for those lights to use as a pattern. Far easier than trying to do a lay-out for each location.
If that end radii are something common you could use a hole saw and then either a swazall or a jig saw to cut out in between those holes.
Worst case you do the lay-out and them drill a bunch of 1/8" holes around the inside of the lay-out. Use a hacksaw blade to cut btwn the holes. Then get out the files.....

nruller

Observer
After looking closer, I think I could mount them on the very bottom of the back. This would allow me to cut them in, below the line of where the tub floor starts. My other option is to just cut out 2 small sections and weld in the mounting brackets in order to provide a cleaner look. I don't think I would need to worry about dust or water with the rubber gromet...

nruller

Observer
If I have correctly installed the hubs, should there be a little play? I noticed that if you grab the drum (or wheel) you can get a bit of lateral movement. Is this normal? How much lateral movement should there be?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles