Tribute to Optima Batteries

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Years ago I used the standard Die-Hard battery in my Land Cruiser, and expected to replace them about every two years or so. After one died on me in backcountry Mexico in 1993, I decided to look for a better alternative. Someone told me about a new kind of battery called an Optima. I tried one and have never looked back.

Recently, on the Camino del Diablo trip, I noticed the LC turning over slowly the first, quite chilly, morning. Although it started fine the rest of the trip, I decided pre-emptive replacement was in order. Checking the warranty sticker on the battery, I read when I had installed it:

Optima.jpg

That's right: The battery was over seven years old. That's what I call stand-up service.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
When you look at the cost per year as opposed to the cost to install, I'd say you are way ahead!

:victory:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Very cool :clapsmile I like 'em too. The cases they use really impress me (based on first hand experience down in Mexico once :eek: ) and I really like the unlimited charging current with heat being the only limit - how cool is that? :cool:

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ya know whats funny is I still use them cause their sealed but have no faith in the company standing behind them. I know alot of you have had good experiences but I cooked 2 batteries in the same vehicle and got no support either from the dealer or optima. Of course this was years ago when they first came out but I was still out $200.00.

Basically what happened was I had a '36 ford Pick up hot rod. I mounted the bat under the passenger seat in the cab. After about a week I could smell some burning and looked under the seat. The battery was so hot I couldn't touch it. After letting it cool I pulled it and tested it as a boat anchor. I took it back to the shop I bought it and the guy told me that I had an electrical problem and it couldn't possibly be a battery issue so no warranty. I pulled the bat out of my other truck, hooked it up and drove it to a shop. I had my 1 wire alt and volt regulator checked with no problems. I went to another shop and mounted another optima. about a month later same thing. After that I contacted optima and was basically told to bad. I changed the seat mounts to clear a standard lead core die hard and never had another problem.

I never bought one again till 2 yearsa go. I have a red in my daily and a yellow in the yota with a second one waiting. Hope none of these go bad LOL!

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Nullifier said:
After letting it cool I pulled it and tested it as a boat anchor.

HUH? :confused:

Man, that is weird. I wonder what the deal was? Hopefully your new units will make the grade. I have had good luck with Optima warranty/service.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online