trailer kitchen box

highlandercj-7

Explorer
I was leading thru a Cabela catalog and saw this thought it would be coool for a trailer. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat20112&rid=&indexId=cat20112&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat20112&id=0003839

p003839vr01.jpg

Photog

Explorer
That is a really cool box; but I wonder where they put all that stuff, when they close it up? There is no room for the paper towels, drying rack and maybe more.

Rezarf <><

Explorer
This is what I am going to mimic in my homemade trailer. I am going to build a set of these style drawers. One side will pull out to be a kitchen.

These are called Drifta from Australia...

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hmmm, looks like a nicely organized unit. I'll have to stop by the local Cabelas :sombrero:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
The part that turned me off was the "24 gauge steel", only 0.0239" (0.607mm) thick.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Yep! ;)

Did make me wonder how much rattling around it would hold up to. If anything like my retired later model Coleman 2 burner, not very much.

Photog

Explorer
24 gage?
I missed that in the description.
24 gage is very thin; but the overall design can make it strong enough to be very tough. I don't know if this box fits that design though. Also, they are usually spot-welded. It could be improved by drilling and riviting a few stratigic locations, and maybe TIG welding a few more.

But you shouldn't have to do that to an expensive sheetmetal box.

I have seen wooden boxes like this that are very nice, and very tough.

Has anyone had their hands on one of these boxes? Was it spot welded? Did it feel flimsy?

I will hold my final judgement; pending further info.

njtaco

Explorer
Yep, I looked at them at Cabellas a couple of months ago. Flimsy is being generous. I wouldn't rest a foot on one to tie a bootlace, never mind use it as a jack stand. I think the lamps we made in high school metal shop were more sturdy.

Not being negative, just my cynical opinion. :shakin:

Of course, I'm biased. We still use the plywood kitchen box my grandfather made in the 60's. It is older than me, and possibly in better shape...

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
Photog said:
Now that is COOL.
That looks like it might be a good way to spend your kitchen money.

Yeah, it's a well-thought-out setup. I used it when my trailer was just an open-box Sankey, and everything came out in camp. With the modular cabinets and shelves of my Campa, the Grubby One no longer really makes sense though.

offroadchef

Adventurer
Rezarf <>< said:
This is what I am going to mimic in my homemade trailer. I am going to build a set of these style drawers. One side will pull out to be a kitchen.

These are called Drifta from Australia...

I am looking at building a mini 100. My dad has a shop so he is willing to assist me in the build of a box.
I did exchange email with them once, about getting them here, but with the exchange rate and shipping it would be too expensive. Now if someone could do the wood work I think he would give you a License..$$$

Markus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles