New $100 HIDs

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Came upon this and thought I'd share. There are some inexpensive HID's out there that seem to be doing a darn good job. I'm sure they are not Hella 4000 HIDs or Xvisions but the price makes it hard to not contemplate.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=122502

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=53270&sid=b7e4598156266d2d7cef64e17e71db77

http://ads.kragen.com/kragenauto/de...vid=CSK-071126Ins&promotioncode=CSK-071126Ins

There is a link in one of the threads for a discount of $25 or 10%, can't remember at the moment.

post-1089-1196217997_thumb.jpg

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
What to do with a $200 store credit at www.raceroffroad.com
Get two of these I guess.
I have 2 of these that have been sitting in my garage for a couple weeks. They are going to be the trial set... We'll see.
I pulled the red ring and painted it black. (gotta take care of the important things first...)
They look like pretty good construction....

Beowulf said:
Came upon this and thought I'd share. There are some inexpensive HID's out there that seem to be doing a darn good job. I'm sure they are not Hella 4000 HIDs or Xvisions but the price makes it hard to not contemplate.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=122502

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=53270&sid=b7e4598156266d2d7cef64e17e71db77

http://ads.kragen.com/kragenauto/de...vid=CSK-071126Ins&promotioncode=CSK-071126Ins

There is a link in one of the threads for a discount of $25 or 10%, can't remember at the moment.

post-1089-1196217997_thumb.jpg

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
For daily driving in the city I think add-ons are the way to go. You can have your normal OEM headlights on and not blind everyone. Then when you are alone on the road or trail you can hit the HID add-ons.

Of course if I had the money I'd put in full HID headlights and Add-ons just suffering the occasional flashing at for having too bright of lights.

madizell

Explorer
Shovel said:
I've been eyeballing these guys - I know there are conversions available for as little as $30, but at SEMA my booth was across an aisle from a HID kit manufacturer and it was pretty easy to see the difference in materials and construction between the $30 and the $150 kits.

Any Expedition-type thoughts on the headlight conversions vs. add-on lights? I'm trying to avoid adding too much "stuff" to my truck, I like having a capable 4x4 that gets 22+ mpg loaded :)

All of the units shown in the link appear to me to be bulb replacements for halogen units. Unless these bulbs also include a forward facing shield, none are suitable for on-highway use, and none would provide you with a high beam. I would avoid them if this is the case.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I have been watching for an inexpensive set of HID lights. Thank you for the links!
My local Shucks had two in stock at $99 each. I followed the link for the coupon and printed out the 25% off in store coupon. A Pair of HID offroad lights for $148.50

The outer housing is ABS plastic with a red aluminum ring. The reflector is cast aluminum with a sealed clear glass lens. The ballast is mounted in the back of the housing. The bulb mounted to the reflector. They come with a clear snap on polycarbonate/plexiglass lens cover. The wiring and fuse is included. there is no switch as mentioned in the online description.
The reflector is easily clocked for side mount. the mounting bracket is a toothed aluminum block design. Overall I think the light is pretty substantial.

HID.jpg
HID2.jpg

These replaced the 55w lights I had mounted to my winch. At 35w they will conserve some power and offer lots more light. I had been looking at HID offroad lights, but could not bring myself to fork out the kind of prices they were bringing. I found this hard to pass up.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
madizell said:
All of the units shown in the link appear to me to be bulb replacements for halogen units. Unless these bulbs also include a forward facing shield, none are suitable for on-highway use, and none would provide you with a high beam. I would avoid them if this is the case.

I don't think these were ever meant to be Hi low beam. Just on. I also assume that these are too bright to use on the highway. I would not run Hella 4000 HIDs on the highway with on coming traffic either. I don't care what sheild the bulb has they are too bright for any on coming traffic. That is what my OEM headlights are for.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
HenryJ,

Thank you for the right up. If you get a chance to test them tonight please let us know how they work.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Heres the link to the 25% off coupon/survey.

NOTE: Just make up the bottom 4 boxes and it will let you take the survey! Have my coupon here and ready for HID purchase!

http://www.partsamerica.com/surveystart.aspx?surveyKey=4h7r

And here is a link--type in your zip for store availability near you:
http://www.partsamerica.com/ChangeZipCode.aspx?MfrCode=CSM&MfrPartNumber=99000CSK&CategoryCode=3151&DestinationPage=%2fProductDetail.aspx%3fMfrCode%3dCSM%26MfrPartNumber%3d99000CSK%26CategoryCode%3d3151

Last edited:

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
Took some night shots:
lowquadhid.jpg

Low (highbeam bulbs) / Quad (HIR highbeams) / Quad w/HID

hi_hid.jpg

Quad / Quad w/HID

lightson.jpg

Front shots. Quad / HID / Aux. Fogs

The shot with all the lights on including the HID was the only one with enough light to properly focus the camera. Quads alone were not enough.

You do not know how yellow your lights are until you try something like this. The difference is huge. The HIDs are great. The headlamps look more like filler lighting. I would not say they are twice as bright as my quads. Maybe 20%-30% more light. That says quite a bit though. I have highbeam bulbs in the lows and toshiba HIR bulbs in the highbeams. These two HID lights are that much brighter than those combined.

I am also not sure how long the pricing on these lights will remain. I did see one online reference to a December 30 price expiration, but that may just have been a website thing. From the interest thus far, these may go the way of the $25 compressor. It looks like each store may have only received two of these lights? That may mean scrounging stores to find them. At twice the price, I don't think I would have been tempted to try them.

The plastic housing should last a long time. No rust problems. That red aluminum ring may be just eye candy for someone. I do think it is a good idea in that it does help support the plastic housing.
I am not sure how long it will be before the polycarbonate covers become so sand pitted that they will be unusable. Replacement covers may be hard to come by since these are not a common size.
The wiring from the light is nicely supported and protected. I did not use the supplied wire and fuse as I already had the wiring in place and reused the wireless controller. These can be operated remotely. They stay with the winch , they can be used as lighting on the rear hitch as well as the hitch on another vehicle using the booster cables as the power supply.

There is a little flicker sometimes when you start them. Kind of reminds me of a fluorescent bulb starting. I am told that they need time to warm up to full intensity and that HID lights are best left on and not cycled on and off repeatedly. Sort of the same thing as fluorescent lights is the impression I get.

The rose colored glasses of a new mod are still on here. It will take some time and some trips before I can make a better judgment. For now, I am pleased.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Great pics. Thank you for posting. I too have my coupon printed out. I'll be heading to Checkers tomorrow.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Interesting, for that price I'd test a set too. After filling out the survey which includes Advance Auto parts ( what we have) the cupon isn't any good for them. Only Checkers, Schucks and Kragen. :(

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Great links Beowolf and nice job HenryJ on the install, pics and write-up.

I'm not even in the market for some aux lighting but at that price I may go pick up a pair. Like the MV-50's, I'm glad I picked up two for $25 each, when word of them first came out instead of paying retailers $69.95 or whatever they want for them now.

My local Checkers is showing them in stock and on sale through 1/06/08 -

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I just went and picked up a pair. They are quite nice. I have never had the Hella, IPF, or other top dollar brands in my hand, but these seem to be well constructed. These will be going on the front of my jeep shortly. Wife took the camera this weekend so no pics yet.

Oh, they were on sale for $99 each and I still got the 25% off. They would have to be worse than Halogen to not be worth that price, and from HenryJ's pics that is not the case.

The glamisdunes link had some guys in the last few days saying Checkers was no longer carrying these. I don't know if it's true so I'd get them while you can. Some of the vendors on glamis bought tons of them and did not mark up the price so you should be able to find them if Checkers did indeed stop carrying them.

Last edited:

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
+1 on the lights. You can't beat the price. On sale for $99.00 with the 25% off coupon and I still got the $10 gift cards (so $64.25 each before tax). The construction seem fine for the price, they are good looking and bright. Each store in my area only carried 2 each, so no more left here :)
Thanks to all for the tip on the lights, and the coupon offer, man that sure saved some $ $.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94