Up-yers!!!! (Expedition Trophy)

jcbrandon

Explorer
Most excellent!

It was an outstanding event. I had a great time, learned maybe a million new things, met a few dozen fantastic people, and spent the entire drive home thinking about ways to apply what I saw and learned.

Many thanks to everyone who worked so hard to plan, coordinate, and produce the 2008 Expedition Trophy. You rock.

Up Yers!

-J. (The guy in the Power Wagon.)

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
I'm backlogged with that thing some folks call work :( but I'll post up some metrics soon :)

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
Man am I tired out......

I was glad to read in Chris' "Overland South" thread that the other team had some of the same issues as the North group in terms of roads disappearing, and fences that don't have gates.....:smilies27

Too many folks to thank, but certainly a special thanks to the Overland Society team that put on such a great event, Scott J for his excellent coordination and execution of the challenges, all the sponsors for the excellent prizes and schwag, and of course all the good folks that participated in the event.

I'm not really a "big group" kind of guy, but over the course of my stay I got to meet and talk to so many cool guys and gals. I was asked at one point what makes the Expo Trophy different than similar organized events, and I'm sure I gave some babbling, incoherent response. But the answer is most certainly the people. The Expeditionportal is led by classy folks with a wealth of experience and expertise, and those characteristics are reflected in the people that put on and participate in the Trophy. Thanks to everyone for a great time, and I'm looking forward to the next adventure!

Matt

Video teaser "The Humpback"

Tat

Observer
It'a all about the people

Just wanted to say “kudos” to all those whom put the Trophy 2008 on.

Meet some really great people, and hope to spend more time in the field with them at some point. Learned a few more new things. Just wished that I could have stayed longer.

Special “thanks" to Scott, Brian & Roseann, and all the instructors.

Opps, also a quick thanks to JP, Todd, and Tony Desanto for the luxurious seating accommodations.

Till next year,

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
A Big Thanks to all that came out for the 2008 Trophy. Miles and I had a great time. Here are a couple of photographs to keep the thread alive.

P1030014.jpg

Driving up the canyon to the Trophy location.

P1020950.jpg

Setting up camp.

P1020902.jpg

The food and Beverage competition.

P1020893.jpg

P1020929.jpg

P1020935.jpg

P1020931.jpg

Late into the night, the Up-yers bar was packed.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
A few more

The stress-free chef (Tony) readying his award-winning treats.

expo2008007.jpg

No one draws a crowd like Tony when the food's on the grill....

expo2008013.jpg

This one is just begging for a caption contest:

expo2008041.jpg

Good times....
expo2008061.jpg

FlyingWen

Explorer
I left the Trophy Sunday morning to come back and run SE, but had fun while I was there.

I didn't have a chance to take a whole bunch of pictures... I had FlyingBaby constantly on my hip... Here are a few:

My 2002 Jeep KJ newly stickered
DSC00673.jpg

DSC00656.jpg

FlyingBaby represented all the Expo children as the only "little" Trophy attendee

DSC00691.jpg

(no, that is not Rum in her cup... although that might have helped)

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
P1020902.jpg

Great shot, Justin! Connie and I leave for 5 minutes (well, actually, it turned into more like 30, because we found Tony's Korean beef . . .) and see what the boys do?

Hats off to Connie for coming up with our Happy Hour Trophy entry - The Watering Hole, an African cocktail with the tinge of red after the lion grabs the zebra at the waters' edge - gin, tonic, bitter lemon (or margarita mix), a dash of pomegranate juice, and a lime wedge. Oh yes, and you have to cut the limes with an authentic African panga (held by Graham, on the left - his is a British steel, a family possession) or olelem (held by Jonathan - a Maasai style panga, made from an old sawblade).

JPFreek1

Explorer
Gear said:
A Big Thanks to all that came out for the 2008 Trophy. Miles and I had a great time. Here are a couple of photographs to keep the thread alive.

P1020893.jpg

Late into the night, the Up-yers bar was packed.

Martyn, you look like the "heavy" who is guarding all that fine brew at all costs! :pROFSheriffHL:

JPFreek1

Explorer

expo2008041.jpg

Ha!

Martyn, were you pondering the placement of your kikoy in this pic? Too much brew from the bar the night before? I promise this isn't "pick on Martyn day" or anything. ;)

These were all taken with my cell phone...

A pair of noteworthy trucks! Matt's (Jacket) 2006 Tacoma and Gary's (RoundOut) 2003 Tundra:
colorado-contingent-6253.jpg

The Scorpion Lair...actually it was the Crab Cakes and Appletinis Lair. Those crab cakes were tasty!
the-scorpion-lair-6254.jpg

I don't know what the O I II means but I know a bucket of California Rolls when I see it!
california-rolls-6256.jpg

That tall bottle is a very fine Colorado whiskey. The gentleman presenting it is your 2008 Expedition Trophy champion :wavey:. He may be modest here, but I could swear I heard he's gonna ask his wife to put burgundy velvet piping around the event banner, so it looks more stately when he's wearing it :elkgrin: .
colorado-whiskey-6255.jpg

Martyn on the tap. I suspect that bucket picture was taken the morning after this picture LOL.
martin-on-the-tap-6257.jpg

I cannot thank enough all the people who put time and effort in to organizing all this! Andrew mentioned you guys start planning the next year's event as soon as the current event finishes...whew.

Everyone who offered food and drink for Happy Hour also deserves a big thanks...after all, that's the most stressful event LOL. Those steaks provided by AT on Monday really hit the spot as well, and honestly after Saturday night, every night was happy hour! I had a great time hanging out with everyone who came by the NY/CAN campfire, and with everyone on the north overland trip...all that was missing was the rest of the crew! BTW you guys better all be cooking "low fat" next year because I think I gained weight LOL.

The net and seating arrangement for the lectures was great! My favorites were Martin's tire clinic and Andrew's navigation talk. The HAM lecture became more of a forum when it turned out everyone there but two people had licenses, and I recall a few people had some pretty funny advice for traveling through South America :p. I really enjoyed the lectures...and I felt lucky to be in Team B, sitting through lectures on Sunday morning LOL. Ed (?) or Andrew, could you please post the name of the first aid booklet you guys were showing during that lecture?

I think we used every piece of recovery equipment we brought--even the jack stands--during events or out of necessity. It was an awesome learning experience, and I'm hoping to pass on what I learned to the guys and girls here in CO. FWIW I have a tire or two that'll work great for practicing tire repairs...I'll pick up a pink knife ASAP LOL!

Celestial count for the trip was a couple dozen shooting stars, three or four planets, and one nebula...if the wind wakes you up at 2:30am when you're sleeping outside, cover your eyes with the binoculars.

There was a lot of campfire BSing...Lance's rig is now the Raging Blue Lemming, and apparently Gary has a squirrel suit at home. Also noted around the fire, don't go messing about with the overlanding community, as we all carry shovels.

Wednesday morning, two of our company went missing. Not so notable that they were missing, but that they had no map, radio or compass, little water, and one was wearing little more than long johns. What happens in the desert, stays in the desert! LOL...we're just glad you guys made it back safe.

Gary won the closed course event. The person who turned in the fastest time on the closed course was actually trying not to hammer on Gary's truck (note no air time!), but also has a rich history of speeding tickets. :peepwall:

I met so many great people, made a whole bunch of friends I hope to see sooner rather than later, and found a lot of people who really do set the bar that much higher!

May all your roads be "well-established", and your camp arrivals always be "around noon" :D.

Up Yerrrrrrrs!

-Sean

DesertRose

devinsixtyseven said:
I cannot thank enough all the people who put time and effort in to organizing all this! Andrew mentioned you guys start planning the next year's event as soon as the current event finishes...whew.

Andrew actually belongs to the real Overland Society. The secret Overland Society people, who wear black robes with zebra trim, actually don't start organizing until a month before.

devinsixtyseven said:
Everyone who offered food and drink for Happy Hour also deserves a big thanks...after all, that's the most stressful event LOL. ... Ed (?) or Andrew, could you please post the name of the first aid booklet you guys were showing during that lecture?

Why does everyone always post more pictures of the Happy Hour Trophy?

That's the Wilderness Medicine by Dr. Eric Weiss that comes with Adventure Medical Kits' larger kits. Very good to have.

devinsixtyseven said:
Gary has a squirrel suit at home.

Should we be afraid? Does his wife know?

Seriously it was great to meet you guys and we really had the best time ever.

DesertRose

devinsixtyseven said:
That tall bottle is a very fine Colorado whiskey. The gentleman presenting it is your 2008 Expedition Trophy champion :wavey:. He may be modest here, but I could swear I heard he's gonna ask his wife to put burgundy velvet piping around the event banner, so it looks more stately when he's wearing it :elkgrin: .
colorado-whiskey-6255.jpg

Congratulations, Matt - an understated and very stylish win. Shows that airtime and flash does not always get the prize!

However, if we had included or deducted points for tent / awning pitching, you might not have won -- since five of us chased your awning and tent down the river when a wind gust picked them up while you were out on the navigation challenge . . . stakes. You gotta use real stakes, man.
:sombrero:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
JPFreek1 said:

expo2008041.jpg

Ha!

Martyn, were you pondering the placement of your kikoy in this pic? Too much brew from the bar the night before? I promise this isn't "pick on Martyn day" or anything. ;)

Just trying to figure out where I'd left the "wagbag" powder :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles