What kind of headlight bulbs do you use?

01tundra

Explorer
EDIT: oops, meant I'm current running the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras and really like them (a lot brighter than stock and also very white,....I hate blue light for some reason) -

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/AutoLRG-Results.htm

But once they burn out I may give the Phillips X-treme Power bulbs a try

http://www.lighting.philips.com/us_..._en_automotive&parent=79912999330&id=&lang=en

If the headlights aren't cutting it, I've always got my two Light Force Stiker 170 HID's up front that will definitely shed a little light on things :)!

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Correct answer. Also try suvlights.com

I agree; it is also illegal to run HIDs this way and carries a $10,000 fine.

Done "right" means that a housing must also be installed during the retrofit that was designed for HID bulbs, their size, hot kernel, etc.

Here's a great forum to browse to learn about vehicular lighting. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=87
As was previously mentioned, Phillips Vision Plus bulbs are great, Osram Silverstars (not the junk Sylvania at Pep Boys), Narva, Hella ---- all good bulbs. You can also optimize your bulbs' output by wiring them directly to your battery and using a relay.

[Warning]
Just a heads up on SUVlights.com! They sent a totally different product than what I ordered and the guy made me out to be the jerk when I wanted a refund. [/Warning]

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I just bought a pair of Sylvania Silverstars and they do NOT have blue glass. If they did I would have RAN from them. That article you referenced is 5 years old.

The generic crap bulbs I replaced were blue and they were horrible, so the idea holds, blue is crap.

I have bought Sylvania Silverstars (not the Ultras) in the past and they were not blue. But that is not to say they may not have had some blue tinting that wasn't visually apparent. I found them better than stock in my pathfinder. But based upon later experience, I don't think they compete with some of the real high quality bulbs out there. (Which is why I just ordered some OSRAM silverstars for my new H4/H1 headlights :sombrero:)

Also, don't underestimate the difference in swapping out the actual headlights in addition to the bulbs. When I replaced my 7" rounds on my FJ60 for some IPFs with good quality bulbs the difference was dramatic and produced better light than most of the more modern non-HID vehicles I have driven. Unfortunately, more and more cars come with unique shaped lamps nowadays.

7wt

Expedition Leader
I have the Philips bulbs in my truck and they are indeed better than the stockers. I have had several makes in over the years and these seem to be the best. They aren't the stadium lights I was hoping for but they get the job done.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Or www.rallylights.com, though they don't have as much selection, mostly just Hella's.

One thing people need to know when they say things like "X bulbs were definitely brighter than the stockers" is that bulbs actually lose power as they age. Before they even burn out, the lumens they put out decrease and the light gets yellower. So, even replacing bulbs with bog standard replacement lights will be brighter than the lights you took out.

It's just, nobody does that, buy standard bulbs to replace still functioning bulbs. People either wait till they burn, and then put standard bulbs in can't compare anymore, or they buy "high performance" bulbs and then hope to see an improvement... and usually do. ;)

01tundra

Explorer
I have the Philips bulbs in my truck and they are indeed better than the stockers. I have had several makes in over the years and these seem to be the best. They aren't the stadium lights I was hoping for but they get the job done.

Are you running their X-treme Power bulbs? I'm curious as to how they compare to my current Silverstar Ultra's.

DaJudge

Explorer
I haven't seen any new ones; they must be brand-spanking new.
Or maybe they got rid of the Disney bulbs and are selling the real-deal Osrams in the US with the Silverstar name?

I'll have to check...

Edit:
just checked their website and they still show the Silverstars as blue and the Xtravisions as clear.

Ultra
51JBMK5z4mL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Xtravision
51rWUiVgG0L.jpg

HUMMM! I am going to have to go over to the store I bought them at and look at the packaging. Neither of those looks like what I bought.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Bill, I've seen some Sylvania Silverstars for sale that are less blue than the "old" ones. They are still blue, but it's easier to not notice if you don't want to notice. ;)

I'm ready for an upgrade, myself. Just bought some PIAA "Intense White 4100K" a couple of weeks ago, and didn't like them. I witnessed zero brightness increase, and that's what I was looking for. (For what it's worth, they were quite white, though.) Besides, I hear that the PIAAs wear out as quickly as the Silverstars. I returned them to Amazon, and am now ready to spend that money on some good headlights...

Subscribed. :coffee:

Well, after much reading, I have taken the advice from a few of you and Mr. Stern. I finally pulled the trigger on these. Love them. Dramatic improvement to both brightness and color.

Just made a 500-mile trip from here to Shreveport. Most of both directions was at nighttime, and much of the trip (if you're not familiar with I-30 between Little Rock and Texarkana) was on interstate in remote, highly-wooded areas. In addition, I drove along two lane state highways, and in/around towns occasionally. Finally, it was cloudy... Needless to say, it was a very dark night with plenty of road types. I had lots of time to play and test. :smiley_drive:

As I drove on this dark interstate, I compared the cut-off, brightness, and whiteness of my new bulbs to every late-model HID-outfitted vehicle which passed. I can tell you, that I was very impressed.

I remember before, with my AutoZone specials, I would feel thankful for the extra lighting anytime an Escalade or Benz passed. Now, I can barely tell the difference. Yes, a good HID is a bit whiter (actually more of a blue to my eye), and most late-model housings have incredibly sharp cut-off which my Tacoma cannot reproduce. However, this bulb from Philips comes as close as anything I've seen.

As far as brightness is concerned: no question, huge gain. Big. I can't overstate this. As far as any 40 bucks and 5 minutes will take me, there may be no better mod I've ever done to my truck. These bulbs are bright.

The jury is out with regards to life-span. As long as I get 6 months or more out of them, then I'll buy again. This dramatic of a performance gain is worth the coin.

Next step is to take Mr. Stern's advice about replacing my crappy factory wiring harness with a simple high-quality wire/dual relay system. After studying this subject, I do expect even better performance once that's complete.

**EDIT**
I must confess, I used this product recently, too. If you haven't buffed your old, scratched, and faded lenses back to crystal clear yet, I highly recommend it. The headlamps looks better lit and unlit; a great/quick/cheap project. I can't help but think that this is partly responsible for my improved lighting.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
I also pulled the trigger on the xtremes. Very little difference.
Proves what I said earlier. Crappy headlights can't be improved no matter what you do. Wish I could get my $40 back.

riverrat88

Observer
Right now the standard Sylvania's have a blue package, the xtra-visions have a purple package, the silverstars have a silver package, and the silverstar ultras have a gold package.

The silverstars and silverstar ultras both have a slightly blue glass but both shine white. They also last less time than a standard bulb. From what I have seen the standard usually last 5-8yrs, the xtra-visions last 5-6yrs, the silverstars last 4-5yrs and the silverstar ultras last about 2-3yrs. The lifespan is even shown on the back of the package but is not expressed in time just in bars of life.

I personally use the silverstars and have found them to be a good compromise on life and extra light.

Edit: typical prices
standard-$18/pr, Xtra-vision $25/pr, Silverstar $40/pr, Silverstar Ultra $50/pr
through the end of the month at Autozone Silverstars are $35/pr and Silverstar ultras are $40/pr after mail-in-rebate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke