Best way to gain ground clearance on a Pop-up camper

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Well I scored a Palomino Yearling pop-up Trailer $300, and think this will make a great family / something or rather camping base. My main concern is ground clearance. While my M416 spoils me and has more clearance that my 4Runner, I'm having the opposite issue with the pop-up. I didn't even know tires came this small as they should be on a toy or something. The axle is a torsion axle, so no flipping option there. A new axle will be needed as will leaf springs and welded perches. I'm guessing this will be the best way to get the trailer off the ground. My question is to keep the tires under the trailer making it very high and significantly increasing center of gravity and possibility of God knows what. The other option is to place the wheels outside the body and add fenders. I measures a cargo trailer we have and estimated the width of the trailer with fenders to be under 8', so very wide. I would like to keep the tires under but don't see it w/o increasing COG.

Thoughts

Aaron

Atoyot1031

Observer
I lifted to clear 33s w/o wheel wells. To keep the COG low, I mounted a 35gal water tank below the deck, above the axle and between the tires. I think my popup can run basically any trail a military/offroad trailer can go. The advantage I have is a furnace, running water, hot water, all enclosed 3' off the ground, and room for 5.

Sorry to cross post, but I didn't want to write up a whole other build thread.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/354638-offroad-popup-camper-build.html

Good luck!:smiley_drive:
Feel free to holler at me with any questions.
Nick

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Nick, that looked like an awesome build. I have a M416, and the popup is to be a mild mannered camp rig. I just need more forgiveness on the ground clearance. The best thing I could figure was to measure hub to hub and head to tractor supply and see what they had for axles, springs, and wheels. I'll have to weld the spring hangers and add springs then spring over. The other way is to order from ABC axles (like I did for my M416) and get them with springs.

It is good to know however there will be little sway to it even on 33's!

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
What about some sort of full length spacer between the trailer frame and torsion axle ??

I might just do that for the time being, I don't have the time between work projects to weld in measure, measure, measure, measure and weld some more add a spring axle and so on. I need to head to the steel supply store and see what my options are for square tubing or heavy c channel that can act as a spacer. I'm thinking a 195 or 205 may fit if I can get it up high enough without setting the wheels outside of the body.

A

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior