Box Rocket '03 DC Tacoma Build

Box Rocket

Current photo as of 8/5/13

This will likely be a slow semi-long-term build up by the time I'm all done with it but the process has begun. I bought this truck 2 weeks ago and it is in good shape and I'm excited to have a solid platform to start things. Truck is currently stock for the most part. It has a front coil spacer and rear lift block and some aftermarket wheels and some 32x11.50 BFGs, and a spray in bedliner. Other than that its totally stock. Very clean inside and out, 78K miles.

First step is to ditch the spacers/block for a proper suspension setup. I looked at several options and I decided to go with the OME HD setup with rear Dakar springs from Cruiser Outfitters. Kurt is awesome and super helpful and fortunately for me he's local so I got to check out his own Tacoma today which is running virtually the same setup and then throw all the new parts into the back of the truck. I'm very excited for the upgraded suspension.

I'll share some pics of that soon as I start getting things torn apart.

Also, UPS sent me the tracking number on my new sliders which should be here within the week.

And a less critical mod in the large scheme of things, but important for those long drives is proper tunes. So Ryan Davis at Ratio is helping me out with an Alpine deck with iPod capabilities later this week.

Future plans as I'm brainstorming include (probably in this order):
Paint wheels Black
Rear Bumper (likely homemade)
Diff Drop
Uniden CB
Bed rack
Front ARB bumper
Winch
BudBuilt Skids
Snorkel

I'll feel pretty good about things with all of that. Hopefully I can find ways to speed up the process. Just glad to have the ball rolling.

Here's a pic of the truck when I brought it home two weeks ago. I'll do some height comparison pics as I get going on the lift.
_MG_7107.jpg

_MG_7106.jpg

Last edited:

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Oh, this is going to be fun. :wings: Nice foundation.

We'll be sure to help you spend your $$.:sombrero:

Youngunner

Adventurer
I'm thinking of going with the dakars too. Which shocks are you using? If you are open to input, the wheels looks fine the way they are. What are those anyway?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
:cool:

You doing the Whiskey Dues Oought Five Alpine? RyRy @ Ratio hooked me up too, absolutely love it. Make sure to do the DVD unlock ;)

I forgot to show you that rack while you were over today, I should have some installed pics later this week. You may have seen it on that pallet in front of the forklift? I'm really digging the way its turning out but still have a bunch of fab left to do.

RSB

Adventurer
beautiful rig! I think the ARB will look real good w/those shiny new sliders :ylsmoke:

Box Rocket

I'm thinking of going with the dakars too. Which shocks are you using? If you are open to input, the wheels looks fine the way they are. What are those anyway?

OME sport shocks.

I don't mind the style of the wheels, and I know that steelies are more "Expedition-ish" but I like the lighter weight aluminum. The problem with the wheels is that some carwash attendent sprayed them with cleaner and it too the finish off of them. Then either need to be re-powdercoated or painted. I think black will look good on this truck.

Box Rocket

:cool:

You doing the Whiskey Dues Oought Five Alpine? RyRy @ Ratio hooked me up too, absolutely love it. Make sure to do the DVD unlock ;)

I forgot to show you that rack while you were over today, I should have some installed pics later this week. You may have seen it on that pallet in front of the forklift? I'm really digging the way its turning out but still have a bunch of fab left to do.

I wish I was doing that same deck you've got but I blew most of my cash with you :) so I'm going with the lowly CD117 so I miss out on the DVD unfortunately.

I'll need to take a look at that rack, maybe if I bring the front coils back out for some help.

Box Rocket

I'm hoping to have some time tomorrow to get to work on this. I've got all the OME stuff for the lift. Sliders showed up yesterday and I just picked up the welder (borrowed from another local "cruiserhead). Don't think I'll be able to get all of that done tomorrow but if I'm lucky I'll get the rear springs in and the sliders all welded up.

Box Rocket

I didn't get as much accomplished this weekend as I'd hoped. Really only had Saturday to do anything and I ran into a couple snags that slowed me down. But in the end I got the sliders all welded up. So hopefully in the next few days I'll have time to get them all cleaned off, primed and painted.

I went with the 78" Trail-Gear sliders. I have these same sliders (67" ones) on my FZJ80 and I've been pleasantly suprised how well they've held up and it's hard to beat the price. Some will say that you should always use DOM for sliders but I have no problem using HREW in this application. Being that it is not a hardcore rockcrawler, these will easily hold up to the use they will get on this truck. I purchased the sliders as well as the frame plates and gussets. Took a little time to get the legs all cut to length and the angle of the main sliders all set.

After that it was a matter of tacking the frame plates to the frame and tacking the legs to the plates and then to the sliders. Once it was all tacked, I cut the frame plates back off the frame and fully welded them up. Lucked out that just as I finished the last bead, my gas ran out on the welder. So I'll need to get my tank refilled then I can get them welded to the truck.

Here's a few pics.
main slider with legs
IMG_7109.jpg

positioning them lengthwise and taking measurements. These 78" sliders reach from just behind the front wheelwell to the back edge of the cab on a DC tacoma.
IMG_7110.jpg

Setting the slider angle for proper protection and door clearance.
IMG_7111.jpg

Also measuring for how far underneath the truck I wanted them. The main tube is right under the main section of the rocker panel just outside the pinch weld.
IMG_7112.jpg

Repeating the process on the passenger side.
IMG_7117.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

Then it was just a matter of a final welding pass on all the joints.
IMG_7115.jpg

all done. Now just to clean them up and get them painted and mounted on the truck.
IMG_7113.jpg

IMG_7114.jpg

Box Rocket

Finished up the sliders tonight. Didn't get started until after the kids were in bed so I was in a hurry to be done before midnight and didn't take any pics. I'll try to snap some tomorrow in the daylight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste