Snorkel Install on 05+ Tacoma

barlowrs

Explorer
Well after crossing the water crossing on the Mojave Road MULTIPLE times during a recovery operation, and seeing how DUSTY my air filter was after 3 days out in the Mojave, I figured it was high time to install my snorkel.

Now as most probably know, there is no snorkel made for the 05 Tacoma, however, it has been discovered that it is possible to modify a snorkel for a 2.8L Helix Diesel.

Parts List:
Part# ARB SS135HFD
3”-3” Rubber Flexible Coupler
6” Length of 3” exhaust pipe (muffler shop scrap yard)

First step was to get it in place. Unfortunately, since it is not made for an 05+ Tacoma, the template can be used for nothing more than getting the holes lined up with respect to each other, so to actually decided where the snorkel goes, it is just a lot of mocking it up, lining up the antenna spot, as well as the A-pillar mount, and hoping you got it. Once you think you got it, its time to cross the point of no return, and drill a BIG @$$ hole in the side fo your truck.

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2566.jpg

Now, once the holes are all drilled, it is time to mock it up and drill the A-pillar holes in place.

There are a few gaps, as the body lines are not the same as the helix, but they are not noticeable unless you REALLY get up close and look at it.

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2568.jpg

Believe it or not, this was the easy parts….its now time to plumb it.

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

Now there are many different methods to doing this. I chose to reuse my stock intake tubing bu cutting it off behind the big bulge. This allows me to use the stock flexible tubing.

After a LOT of muscling the rubber elbow that came with the snorkel to get it to come out at a somewhat useable angle, I was able to connect the 6 in piece of muffler tubing and connect the two.

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2574.jpg

Also note, there are two holes in the filter box that need to be sealed to make it watertight. Sorry I did not get more pics to help along, I was in a hurry to install it and didn’t get many.

Anyway, here is the final product:

IMG_2571.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

squatch

Adventurer
I really like your rig! Do you think a snorkel would fit with a TRD cold air intake? Looks a little tight in there so maybe not??

barlowrs

Explorer
I really like your rig! Do you think a snorkel would fit with a TRD cold air intake? Looks a little tight in there so maybe not??

Really couldnt tell you. essentially, the snorkel ends at that little rubber part comming from my fender (it is an elbow that attaches to the snorkel). It has a 3" opening, so from that point back to your air box, you are on your own at making plumbing that works.

Tim A

Adventurer
Takes some cajones putting a 3" hole in your truck! Nice job on the install, looks great.

barlowrs

Explorer
Takes some cajones putting a 3" hole in your truck! Nice job on the install, looks great.

haha, 3 5/8 actually :Wow1:..haha yeah...well I have a CBI rear swingout bumper on order (be here end of the month I hope :wings:) that will require me to cut a lot off my rear pannels...so I thought this would break the ice..haha

barlowrs

Explorer
Looks good. I remember how stressed out I was the first time I cut virgin sheetmetal on my rig :Wow1:

Here's my Hilux Safari Snorkel install write up at Cruiser Outfitters as a reference for anyone else considering doing this mod:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/tech_2ndgenTaco_snorkel.html

Yup, your truck/install was what got me the balls to do this, if you hadn't done the first, no-one would have a snorkel for an 05..hahaha

zolo

Explorer
Yup, your truck/install was what got me the balls to do this, if you hadn't done the first, no-one would have a snorkel for an 05..hahaha

Not to harsh but you should read the 05+ thread, as to where to give the credit for first install and post up of what works on an 05+ Tacoma.....

Ive always been kinda bitter as to everyone forgetting my post and advice as to what snorkel works for that model truck. I did the first install in a drive way in Park City Utah, then posted up during the big 05+ snorke; debate.
I have to say my write up was not the greatest but Id like a few props for buying and drilling 6 holes in my truck.

Needless to say you have an awesome rig and I give you props.

barlowrs

Explorer
Not to harsh but you should read the 05+ thread, as to where to give the credit for first install and post up of what works on an 05+ Tacoma.....

Ive always been kinda bitter as to everyone forgetting my post and advice as to what snorkel works for that model truck. I did the first install in a drive way in Park City Utah, then posted up during the big 05+ snorke; debate.
I have to say my write up was not the greatest but Id like a few props for buying and drilling 6 holes in my truck.

Ohh I apologize. TacoDocs was the one on crusieroutfitters, so that was the only one I really knew of, and figured it was the first

zolo

Explorer
Ohh I apologize. TacoDocs was the one on crusieroutfitters, so that was the only one I really knew of, and figured it was the first

No I understand his write up was very detailed and superior.
That is a long thread anyhow, and his write up did get linked up with Kurt so its all good.

I will keep my old man bitterness to myself from here on.
Keep up the nice build. The snorkel will do you good in the dust as well as the water, search "tough river crossing" here at expo. The Snorkel does its job.

Safe travels

Overland Hadley

on a journey

You were the first Zolo, no doubt about that.
But Doc did the big write up that we can follow.

zolo

Explorer
You were the first Zolo, no doubt about that.
But Doc did the big write up that we can follow.

I know I know, I had no computer skills back then, I applaud his write up. It did help us all to get a better handle on that mod. I give big props to DOC.

I was just being bitter, sometimes it happens

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles