Quad Cab DuraMax build

bftank

Explorer
haha you've got the disease!

i did the same thing with the vp injection pump on my 2001 cummins. eventually i sold it and now i am a nuerotic mess over my powerstroke.

tombodad

Adventurer
Yep. Wait, what's that noise? Did you feel that? Oh man, I missed a grease point, I'm sure.

But, you don't have the disease.

You have the diesel-ease. :victory:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I feel your pain. I bought my '02 PSD and promptly got on the internet and was almost sick with all of the "problems" I could look forward to. Had an oil leak (o-rings) and the CPS, that's it. I say enjoy the truck, do the PM and drive. Good luck on the sickness, I own two diesel's...

Jack

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I had an 02 dmax/alli. Lost t-case to pump rub at 78k miles and injectors at 117k miles. Switched to dodge thinking that the "legendary" cummins would be better. Big mistake. Back in a 2011 duramax/alli in my 3500 cab chassis. The minor problems of the duramax is nothing compared to the other "big two".

bob91yj

Resident **************
Based on what I've seen in 7 years as a service writer at a GMC dealership, I carry a front hub assembly, tie rod and TRE and oil/fuel/air filters for spares when I go to Baja. Oh, I have a spare front axle shaft too, only because I could get a complete assembly at Napa for $50 (my price) plus the core charge. Rare that I see one fail, but for that price I figured what the hell, why not!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Switched to dodge thinking that the "legendary" cummins would be better. Big mistake. The minor problems of the duramax is nothing compared to the other "big two".

That was my finding also. I did a lot of research into a Dodge when I was looking and it seemed there were many more problems with the Dodge platform vs. the Chevy. Besides my wife liked the Chevy more anyway.:coffeedrink:

Jack

Last edited:

bfdiesel

Explorer
I believe that is an old design filter they have cut apart in the maga filter ad. This was the answer they came up with back in the day that OEM filter is no more.

This is totally my opinion. I say none of the above will do a lot to extend the injector life, keeping a good stock fuel filter (Racor or ac delco) changed regularly will go just as far. GM and Racor had that filter redesigned since the LB7 and the new design is what they are still using (fits on all duramax's). The new engines are not having the same problem the LB7 has so I am inclined to believe it isn't the fuel filtration causing the problem anymore. Maybe the old design contributed , but those are no longer available.

I have researched the LB7 for months back when I had one. There are lots of hypothesized reasons for injector failure. Injector voltage, heat transfer of the head, injector ball seats, poor filtration, ext. If there was a sure fire fix it would exist by now.

p.s. don't go over 10 psi with an add on pump it is bad for the EDU. I think 12 psi is the actual number, but you are safe with 10 psi.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I'm a Cummins guy but I do llike the Duramax! You gotta nice truck here. I have the Air dogg fuel system on mine ( it was installed when I bought from previous owner) and I have no complaints. Keep us posted on additional mods and post some more pics!

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Well just went out side and pulled the dipstick, reeked of diesel... Did not seem over full but defiantly smelled like fuel. Guess I will change the oil this weekend and call the dealer to see if they will cover/help with replacements, but I don't know any other way for the oil to smell like diesel. NO other signs... I am going to bit the bullet and go have them tested, take the results to the dealer and see if they will help, I have only had it a couple weeks...

Well never posted this and called the dealer he said that he could sell me a warranty, but that is all he could do. Warranty it like two grand over two years. Could be worse I suspect. Trying to keep glass half full.

tombodad

Adventurer
Injector install is time-consuming, but not difficult, and there are no scary points that are easy to screw up.

Get it tested, find out how many you need to replace [may be worth the $ to do them all], and replace with these [lifetime warranty]

Other options include cheaper injectors [only 1 yr warranty], here

Or, the whole shebang, plus an airdog to fix ya up good, here

DoMiNiC1

Adventurer
Well now I dont know that to do... I took it to my buddy's shop this morning he looked at it (did not have time to to put it on the scanner. ) But he looked at the oil and said it looked clean and did smell a bit like diesel but everything smells a bit like diesel that comes out of these motors. He thinks I should not worry unless it starts making oil. :confused:

At this point I am just going to buy an extended warranty from the dealer and be done with it; (2k) at this rate I am going to end up with a psychiatric bill from worrying; plus the warranty will be much cheaper then an injector swap.

bftank

Explorer
sounds like you need to purchase medication instead of injectors:sombrero:

every vehicle has its quirks, just use it and fix when it needs fixed.

if it makes you worry to much sell it and get something you won't worry about (as much)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste