An interesting thread

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Looks like those winches had issues with water intrusion. Since I'm just about to install my first winch (Warn M8000), question - if mounted in an ARB bullbar, is weather-related water intrusion a problem (in other words, is some kind of cover advisable)? Or is it more of a fording issue?

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
The water mainly gets in through the drum supports where they meet the drum - so it's through fording really; although high humidity or winching in very cold weather can cause issues. If you drive anything more than easy dry trails then you need to maintain your winch. A cover is good - it helps; and it reduces UV on synthetic line. The attached thread suggests ways of improving waterproofing - the spray on sheep grease is top stuff.

Even the almost totally waterproof TDS series suffer form condensation; as do Husky's and 8274's

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Heh, sheep grease, not gonna touch that one.

I think I'll look it over after install and see how exposed to the elements it is in the bullbar.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Ahh, you took me literally...well, that's OK too, a master of subtlety I am.

Looks like there is not a distributor of Prolan in the US. There is something called "Fluid Film" that might be similar...

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
My apologies

As mentioned in the posted thread, the great thing about Lanolin is it's lack of conductivity. I like to think of it as a sustainable product and environmentally friendly as well...

westyss

Explorer
Ahh, you took me literally...well, that's OK too, a master of subtlety I am.

Looks like there is not a distributor of Prolan in the US. There is something called "Fluid Film" that might be similar...

'Fluid Film'!! The best stuff! can be used like WD 40, but doesnt evaporate away, keeps a nice film that is waterproof and lubricates, I use it on everything but is a bit pricey, thats the only spray lube that I carry with me all the time,,, recommended .. buy it!! made with lanolin.

I think I read that its edible?? So in a pinch if you're stuck somewhere and need food you can eat it.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles