ExPo Build Project: Salsa Fargo

mntbkrguy

Very cool! I love that frame, so much I made a frame myself using the Fargo for a patern.

Build-the-bike.jpg

1speedlos

Observer
Nice. Thanks a lot.
Here I was, all set to build up a Fargo frameset as my first multi-speed bike in many years, then you have to go and start this project.
Now I'm thinking about a dinglespeed Fargo.
Jeez. Some people. :rolleyes:
Nice rig, looking forward to mine, and to hearing about your adventures on yours!

Los

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
COMMUTER MODE

COMMUTER MODE

The idea with this project was to see how many variations can be squeezed out of a Fargo frame. I present to you, Fargo the Commuter.

commute.jpg
The only thing I chose to omit from the commuter build was a rear rack. I guess I like my courier bag(s) too much. I'm a bit of a courier bag collector. My idea of a commuter is something to get me from A to B comfortably.

fendrear.jpg
Fenders are a must, even in AZ. Within hours of mounting my new Woody's Fenders (more on those later) it snowed like hell. I had a perfectly dry commute to and from work. These are custom fenders made with reclaimed Zebra Wood and Wenge Wood. Stainless steel struts and brass hardware finished off the fenders. They really are beautiful.

fendfront.jpg
The front fenders provide full coverage, even when plowing through puddles.

I wanted to stick with clean looking accessories, so I went with the stylish Knog headlight and tail light combo. They're bright enough for short commutes, look sleek, but eat batteries and really aren't the easiest things to operate with gloves. But, they look nice.
knoghead.jpg
knogtail.jpg

I also swapped out the tires to Schwalbe Fat Franks. They ride great. It's like rolling on pillows. The only other accessory is my nifty insulated mug that slips right into my bottle cage.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Let's Go BIKEPACKING!!

This Fargo project started in a minimalistic singlespeed offroader phase and has been doing commuter duty since December. Now it's time to get down and dirty and get this bike in the backcountry.

I've made a few minor tweaks and now think I have what I would say is a proper bikepacking rig. The Salsa Fargo continues to impress. The modifications I made were minor but did a great deal to open up the range and usefulness of the bike.

The Objective: To assemble a fast, light, and durable adventure set-up for bikepacking. This will see lots of service road and singletrack travel. Loads will never exceed 15-17 pounds on the bike.

The new modifications include:
- New rear wheel with 9-speed SLX 12-32 cassette. I used the same DT M500 rim to match the front.
- Dura Ace 9-Speed bar end shifter.
- Shimano SLX rear derailleur
- White Industries 32t chainring with built in outer chainring guard. (Not pictured)

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Obviously, I added a frame bag. This is a frame bag I've used for several years now, and while it was a custom bag built for my Spot Brand bike, it fit's well enough. This will eventually be replaced with a Revelate/Salsa Tangle Bag.

IMG_1067.jpg
The cockpit is still nice and tidy. I was pleased to find an alternative to a bar bag by using Salsa's Anything Cages which conveniently hold a small 5 liter stuff sack. One side will hold my sleeping bag, the other my bivy and sleeping pad. That only adds one pound per fork blade. Aside from a tiny bit of bulk, it's unnoticeable. They're like teeny little panniers down there.

IMG_1057.jpg
The singlespeed build has been a ton of fun, and I still prefer it for most travels, but the extended flexibility of gears can't be denied. So, I added a simple, proven, 9-speed bar end shifter. I love the tactile feel of this simple shifter. Click. Click. Click. It's pretty nice. I went with a 1x9 set up for simplicity. The 12x32 combo is tall enough to get me comfortably within reach of 20mph on the flats, and the 32x32 combo is low enough to climb anything rideable. Anything steeper than that is hike-a-bike.

IMG_1055.jpg
There's a place for XTR. This isn't it. I went with a pretty basic SLX derailleur. It just works. No sense in waging the gram war on this bike. It's not a weight weenie's chariot, although it's not a tank either. (Note the B.O.B. trailer skewers. Yep, she's trailer ready.)

Last edited:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
IMG_1069.jpg
For tail storage, I went with the Moots Tailgator system. The root of this system is a titanium rack that weighs virtually zippo. It then holds two bags for a small, roughly 10 liter storage system. This will contain small things like fuel, food, perhaps a few repair items. It's nicer than a seat bag. Oh, is it nicer than a seat bag.

IMG_1068.jpg
Check out the detail. Pure Moots. If I were so inclined, I could use just the rack and a small stuff sack on top, use the lower bag and a stuff sack, or as it is with both Moots bags attached. (By the way the Tailgator rack, bags and even my frame bag are all US made. Kinda cool.)

IMG_1066.jpg
My primary objective here was to limit my backpack loads and to really balance my entire load. The fork load is very low and way better than a bar bag. The seat post system is great, lower than a seat bag, and allows me to drop off the seat a bit on techy sections. The wide bars, easy to access shifter, and overall balance are certainly singletrack friendly. This thing still rips off road.

I will say, this bike is pretty amazing. There is one thing I have to correct. I have a chainring left to install. It replaces the Double Double two-ring system and provides a single 32t ring with machined outer ring guard. A Third Eye chain guard on the downtube prevents chain-drops. Pretty darn simple.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Next stop - loaded touring and mega-loaded touring with a trailer. Stay tuned!

By the way, I'll be riding this actual set-up to the Overland ExPo from Prescott, all on dirt and trails. Should be fun.

jgolden

Adventurer
Great write-up on the Fargo and a super cool setup for bikepacking.
I test rode 2 Fargos yesterday...
1. Steel Frame, very mild build. Rode well, very comfy
2. Then an employee brought out his Fargo Ti with Sram XX, Hydralic brakes, Carbon fork (it was currently setup for racing) I fell in Love. The bike is incredible.

The Fargo reminds me of my old WR400 Street Legal dirtbike. It wasn't the fastest on the street or the quickest/lightest on the trail but I could get on that bike and just ride!!!!
Street, Trail, Desert, Track - It was always fun to ride.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I wonder how the fargo compares to the surly ogre?
Salsa and Surly are both house brands for Quality Bicycle Parts out of Minnesota. The Fargo was such a hit, the Ogre was developed to offer something similar under the Surly banner. Salsa is also being distributed with more limitations, so not all QBP dealers can get those. The Ogre will be more widely distributed. It's also a pinch heavier, a bit less sophisticated with the finishing details, but pretty great given the value.

toddz69

Explorer
By the way, I'll be riding this actual set-up to the Overland ExPo from Prescott, all on dirt and trails. Should be fun.

Safe travels and hopefully you'll pedal in by Friday, Flounder? I'd really like to see this beauty in person. For some reason when I see those handlebars, I always think of Jacquie Phelan and the Wombats.

Todd Z.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier