My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

Little Red

Adventurer
I dont know if this was talked about earlier in your build, is the dual battery setup factory? Do you have any pictures of the setup?

Yes it came with dual batteries (factory option). Sorry no pix's but it's basically just an extra battery tray on the other side. What I want to do is put in a battery selector switch so I can use just one battery when camping and keep the other charged up so I will never have a dead battery.

Do the 33s rub at all since the suburban isn't lifted? I have an 89 as well and am debating 31 vs 33, but am worried the 33s might rub.

33" fit just fine without rubbing. (my suburban is not lifted and I did not have to trim the fenders)
Keep in mind though that a 3/4 ton has more clearance than a half ton and if you have a half ton with sagging suspension the front might rub a little when the wheels are completely turned especially on the wider tires.

Calplaya

Adventurer
Do the 33s rub at all since the suburban isn't lifted? I have an 89 as well and am debating 31 vs 33, but am worried the 33s might rub.

If you have a 1500 burban you dont have to worry about the 33s. thats about as big as you can put on without a lift or trimming fendors, but my buddy has 33 inch tires on his burban and his back sags a little from too much towing and such, but there is still no rubbing.

JoeBurban

New member here. I just recently got interested in Overland Adventures. This is a cool truck. I've always liked Suburbans; especially the older box style. I'm very interested in this build as I have an 85 Sub that has some potential. I particularly like the look of the 33 on 17" wheels. I think they look better than the stock 15's of my 85. I'd like to know what kind of wheels those are? No one seems to make anything larger than 15 that will clear the tie rods.

Cotton

If you have a 1500 burban you dont have to worry about the 33s. thats about as big as you can put on without a lift or trimming fendors, but my buddy has 33 inch tires on his burban and his back sags a little from too much towing and such, but there is still no rubbing.

Mine is a 1500 and the rear springs are sagging some. If the 33s rub I might swap in 3/4 ton springs. I can get them at the local pick and pull pretty cheap.

93burban

Observer
woul you happen to have the name of the rack you put on the roof? Also, do you have a pic for you sleeping platform,.

Thanks
and great looking rig

Little Red

Adventurer
Red, i love your `Burb´!:Wow1: Got any updates for us?:)

I have not really done any mod’s recently but I will post some pictures for you guys to enjoy. I have been looking forever to find a used winch bumper with brush guard that I can afford and put on the burban, so that will most likely be my next mod.
I finally found one a couple weeks ago, offered full price for it and was going to drive all the way to Portland to pick it up first thing in the morning but when I called the next morning to tell him I was on my way he said he sold it the night before.
I am now asking around at local fab shops if they can built me something as it is near impossible to find a used one that will fit the older body style, (I frequently find them for the newer 92 and up body style though) and the few manufacturers that make them new are just way too expensive although I love the look of the buckstop bumpers.

woul you happen to have the name of the rack you put on the roof? Also, do you have a pic for you sleeping platform,.

Thanks
and great looking rig

The roof rack was custom made and since I bought it used from a guy that was parting out his friends Suburban I was never able to find out where it was made other than that it was custom made at some shop.

No pictures of the sleeping platform worth posting but I will see if I can take some one of these days, there is a great tread HERE if you need some inspiration to build your own

2011_0924.jpg
I know it is a quality build roof rack though and it also came in handy when I painted my house last year as the ladder was just not high enough.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
New member here. I just recently got interested in Overland Adventures. This is a cool truck. I've always liked Suburbans; especially the older box style. I'm very interested in this build as I have an 85 Sub that has some potential. I particularly like the look of the 33 on 17" wheels. I think they look better than the stock 15's of my 85. I'd like to know what kind of wheels those are? No one seems to make anything larger than 15 that will clear the tie rods.

Welcome to the site Joe. Always good to have another `Burb´driver here. I am an old school Chevy pick-up guy myself...

Little Red

Adventurer
some more pic's

Well as promised here are some more pictures of my suburban from this winter

2011_1116(006).JPG 2011_1120(038).JPG 2011_1122(003).JPG 2011_1209(012).JPG 2012_0114(002).JPG 2012_0114(005).JPG
had to rescue this poor FJ cruiser out of the ditch

Attachments

• 2011_1120(036).JPG
    2011_1120(036).JPG
    283 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

ctb619

Great thread, and great looking 'Burban! How about some interior pics? Did you swap your front seats? I'm currently looking at options for my '87 V2500, as my front bucket seats are thrashed. I'd like to get some seats that won't require cutting up floor.

Little Red

Adventurer
Great thread, and great looking 'Burban! How about some interior pics? Did you swap your front seats? I'm currently looking at options for my '87 V2500, as my front bucket seats are thrashed. I'd like to get some seats that won't require cutting up floor.

I originally had a bench seat in my suburban which I did not like so I swapped it out for regular bucket seats and a center console out of another suburban of the same year that someone was parting out. The seats where not very nice so I got some Cabela’s trail gear seat covers which I really like. They have lots of storage pockets in the back for all my maps and other stuff and are very easy to keep clean.

Updates? Thread is too good to let die :-/ lol

I have not done any further modifications at all this year but my plans for the suburban are still to install and 3” ORD lift, Buckstop winch bumper, rear bumper with tire/gas can carrier and eventually a new paint job and when I have enough money saved up I hope to do a 12v Cummins engine swap.

I am an aspiring professional nature/landscape photographer and lately my suburban has been doing duty getting me to hard to reach places. This picture is from a few days ago, you can see my tripod setup behind my suburban.

DSC_0202.jpg

Little Red

Adventurer
Update – Custom rear bumper/tire carrier

I have been searching craigslist for over a year to find the parts I want to modify my truck in a prize range I can afford and it’s really starting to pay off!

I found this custom made heavy duty rear bumper/tire carrier last week, made the 3.5 hour drive down to pick it up the same day (for only $200) and I just got it mounted a few days ago.

The cool part is that I actually bought this from a fellow Expedition Portal member who built it himself!

Here are some pictures:

2012_1107001.jpg

ready to take the rear bumper off and mount this baby

2012_1108023.jpg

I had to modify my bumper mounts a little to make it work but with some welding help from a friend I got her all mounted up

2012_1108017.jpg

As a nature/landscape photographer I frequently take my suburban out on the local forest service roads, usually to get to a lookout spot somewhere up in the mountains. My objective was to take pictures of the beautiful sunset here but when I walked around my truck and noticed the sun at the perfect angle I just had to take this shot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste