Enlarging center hub hole on rims: Opinions!

G100

Adventurer
Alright, I have done some research all over the internet and all I have come across is a lot of opinions. I respect the opinions of ExPo members a lot more then those that I read, so . . . here's my problem:

I found a set rims and tires exactly what I have been looking for, 285/75s on American Racing Mojaves. The problem is the center hub hole is sized for a chevy (something like 80mm), My toyota T100 I believe needs a 108mm, lug pattern is the same. The price is pretty good, so if I can find a machine shop to enlarge the holes for around $100 for all, I would be happy.

What are your opinions on this?

Is it safe? They make rims that fit toyota's how would it be any different.

Would I have to put a clear coat over the fresh aluminum? would the teflon coating start chipping away?

Does any one have any experience with this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Haven't done it myself (yet), but I know of a guy that did that with Jeep JK rims to make them fit an Astro. He hasn't reported any problems on the Astro forums.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I've never heard of a problem from those that have done it. Since you are having them machined, you can make sure they machine them to run Hub centric for you.

Jack

4x4x4doors

Explorer
It's fairly common for the Colorados (and discussed a bit on the forums) as they also have the larger center hole. I've not heard any complaints from the folks that have it done.

Curmudgeon

Adventurer
I've never heard of a problem from those that have done it. Since you are having them machined, you can make sure they machine them to run Hub centric for you.

Jack
They are not hub centric wheels. The Toyota, and for that matter virtually all passenger cars and light trucks, use lug centric wheels, so the size of the center hole is irrelevant as long as it's not so big as to weaken the wheel. The lightest duty truck you'll typically find with hub centric wheels will be a 1-ton with DRW.

JP

C-Fish

Adventurer
They are not hub centric wheels. The Toyota, and for that matter virtually all passenger cars and light trucks, use lug centric wheels, so the size of the center hole is irrelevant as long as it's not so big as to weaken the wheel. The lightest duty truck you'll typically find with hub centric wheels will be a 1-ton with DRW.

JP

Um, you sure about that statement?

http://stason.org/TULARC/vehicles/t...e-difference-between-hub-centric-and-bol.html
3.32 - What is the difference between "hub centric" and "bolt or lug centric" rims ? (All)

Ninety Nine percent of all vehicles out in the world today utilze a "hub
centric" rim.

locrwln

Expedition Leader

JP

I realize that they are not hubcentric from the factory (aftermarket), but I was merely suggesting, that since he is getting them machined, he could make them so, since Toyota is big on hubcentric.

Also, most every Toyota truck wheel (at least the 4runner, tacoma, LX450 and 80 series LC) is hubcentric and most even have tapered lug nuts as well (all four Toyota's that I have owned were like that), so they are double centric. :bike_rider:

My F350 is hubcentric with flat lug nuts, whereas my Chevy 2500HD is lug centric only. Both are single rear wheel.

Jack

Eric S.

Adventurer
Any chance part of the center bore measures 108mm? On aluminum rims a router and a flush trimming bit works well of there happens to be a step in the bore the right size. Or guess you could make a jig that bolts to the rim with the proper side bore in it then used a bit with a bearing on the top that follows it. At least then you can make as many and you like :)
flushtrimmingbit.jpg

G100

Adventurer
Well, I called up the guy ready to buy the rims and go get them machined, "just sold them" he tells me. . I am so bummed, not sure I am going to ever find exactly what I want with a deal like that, again.
Thanks for all the suggestions, I now feel confident to machine rims without worry.

Paladin

Banned

JP

This is completely false.

Any chance part of the center bore measures 108mm? On aluminum rims a router and a flush trimming bit works well of there happens to be a step in the bore the right size. Or guess you could make a jig that bolts to the rim with the proper side bore in it then used a bit with a bearing on the top that follows it. At least then you can make as many and you like

This is a really bad idea. Not only are you likely to wreck your wheels, and not machine them properly, but it's also possible you're going to injure yourself attempting this.

Eric S.

Adventurer
This is a really bad idea. Not only are you likely to wreck your wheels, and not machine them properly, but it's also possible you're going to injure yourself attempting this.

Depending on a persons mechanical abilities, I guess. If you are not comfortable with fabrication or power tools YOU might injure yourself and not machine them properly but it HAS been done many times. If they are not hub centric they will be fine. I would not try this method on steel rims though!

Paladin

Banned
My mechanical abilities are much higher than average, and I would never try that. That's why I have a mill and a lathe. I would take it to a machine shop if I didn't have the tools.

Paladin

Banned
Well, first of all, how do you get the bore straight when you're holding the router by hand? Could have tapered walls, etc. The safety concerns are many. The router could jump out of your hands. Or the bit could explode.

Are people seriously machining metal with a router?

Eric S.

Adventurer
If you keep the base of the router on the mounting surface or your fixture the bit will be at 90deg. You can cut aluminum not steel with a router. .551" would require 2 or 3 passes just so the router stays in control and ensuring the final cut is square.
Yes people are cutting aluminum all the time with routers, skill saws, table saws, etc.
It was just an option. I would use my CNC milling machine :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles