Bolt-together fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit

RareSS

That is a Kompact Mini-Mate motorcycle camping trailer. It was manufactured up around Philidelphia.
It has served me well and I enjoy camping with it. It is so much like the 'Livin Lite', but smaller. If I could build this off the 'tub kit', I would be very happy! ;) Having the tent and the folding top built for it would be my only problem. I have access to all of the storage from inside. I carry, my generator, my bedroll, blankets, sheets, pillow, porty potty, shower tent, a folding chair, folding table, folding grill, extension cords, patio tube lights (just like the big motor homes), portable heater, fans, lights, power strip for all of my electrical needs, spare tire, and a few other small things. As you see, I camp quite comfortable and it all stores inside this little trailer.
Now if I can get it in 'Daddy Bear' size and not the 'Baby Bear'. ;)
I am counting days until the 'unveiling' of the tub kits. ;)
Dang spell checkers! :(

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is the version of the tub kit that I've designed for towing by motorcycles, Miatas, etc. It fits on the very smallest Harbor Freight trailer frame with 8" wheels; the tub is narrow enough to fit between the fenders, so it's about 40" wide. It's the same length as the wider tubs, so it still could support a trailer-top tent. It has no tailgate.

HFTub2.jpg

It uses the same side panels as the wider trailer tub, two solid end panels (the mold would be narrowed from 59" to 40" to make these), and it doesn't need inner fenders because it fits inside the width of the HF fenders.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Another option I've designed for the trailer is a hard tonneau cover, here are a few views of it.

The upper left shows the cover closed. The tonneau would be strong enough to support a roof top tent and two people. For cargo, you could use an XJ rack, although the XJ rack is only rated for about 150 pounds, so if you need more carrying capacity on top of the tonneau, you might mount a rack basket on there (upper right). The gas struts would probably be sized to support 150 pounds, so if more cargo was on the tonneau than that, you wouldn't expect to open the tonneau.

The tent is also shown, both folded up with the cover on it, and opened. It's mounted to open over the side.

HardTonneau1.jpg

The way I would plan on doing the mold design, the same basic molds could make hard tonneaus for either the Safari Half cab or the current Gr8Tops half cabs as well.

HalfCabTonneau.jpg

RareSS

This is what I am interested in. ;) This is why I was asking about the hard tonneau cover. I would also hope to have the trailer and cover in a six foot long version. I have a few 'long' items to carry. :/
Still waiting on the release date. ;)

jscherb

Expedition Leader
This is what I am interested in. ;) This is why I was asking about the hard tonneau cover. I would also hope to have the trailer and cover in a six foot long version. I have a few 'long' items to carry. :/
Still waiting on the release date. ;)

I believe "the company" is planning at least one longer version, perhaps two. And I'm pretty sure they'll offer the kits with the option of tailgate panels on both ends, so you can carry much longer things, even in the short trailers.

Ladder.jpg

RareSS

I am new to the Jeep websites and may not have found all of the right ones. (I only have three.) :(
Where will "The Company" make this announcement or will you post it here?
Thanks.

Zeep

Adventurer
I want a kit... Whats the hold up?

R&D from the company that wants to produce the kit, I suspect. A trailer is still registered and plated in every state that I can think of. I would'nt put a vehichle to market that had not been thoughly tested.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I can now give you some information on "the company"... the company name is Compact Camping Concepts (http://www.compactcampingconcepts.com/), they cater to DIYers interested in building their own adventure trailers. Their product line includes trailer-top tents, trailer frames, and accessories for a trail camping lifestyle.

They plan on offering a range of trailer tub kits based on the designs you've seen in this thread and the first version they plan to offer they'll call the "Compact" tub kit, it's basically the same size as the proof-of-concept trailer you've watched me build in this thread.

Pricing is still being finalized, but the target total cost for building an entry level model (a tub kit plus your bolt-together frame kit and a few other bits and pieces) is $1095.00!

Product-specific information on the tub kits can be found at this page on their site: http://www.dinoot.com/, that's where you'll find the latest information and can sign up for email updates.

The timetable:

February: Build production molds and work out molding process details.

March/April: Produce a pre-production run of tub kits for pre-release testing and creating documentation. I believe they plan on offering a few kits to “customer testers” (more information on their website).

May: Production kits available.

I've gotten to know Scott Chaney, owner of the company, a bit during our discussions over the past few months, and I'm very pleased he's planning to market the kits and I'm confident he'll do a great job turning my prototypes into high quality production products.

I'll keep updates flowing in this thread as well, stay tuned to watch the build of the trailer-top tent mount...

BTW: If you've been around Expo for a while and interested in trailer supported adventuring, you are probably familiar with Scott's DIY Trailer / Roof Top Tent thread.

Got4wd

The roof top tent has arrived! It's very impressive, sets up quickly and easily, very high quality. While I study it to design a mount for the trailer, I've got it set up in the house:

RTTFr1.jpg

RTTFr2.jpg

RTTFr3.jpg

There's plenty of room for a 6' 6" person and a companion to get comfortable. Two people can also comfortably sit up in it.

RTTFr4.jpg

This is going to be amazing on top of the trailer!

I might have missed it, but what brand is this tent?

Heifer Boy

Adventurer
Congratulations Jeff on a great design concept and on getting it to market :clapsmile

I think Scott will be a good match for what you have designed as your ideas seem to go down the same path. His site was a big inspiration for my build and he help me with some details too. He's a good guy. Good luck to both of you in the future.

HB

squint

Adventurer
Congrats Jeff! You have really been a source of inspiration for me for all sorts of projects over the years.

What is the floor of that tent made of? I was thinking of making my own tent that slides under the roof of my soft top..

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Congrats Jeff! You have really been a source of inspiration for me for all sorts of projects over the years.
Thanks!

What is the floor of that tent made of? I was thinking of making my own tent that slides under the roof of my soft top..
The floor is made from two pieces, 47" x 55", they fold open to form a large solid platform. I'm nit sure what they're made of because they've got an aluminum skin, could be plywood, hard foam or a foam/plywood sandwich inside. I'll look at it more closely when I get home (I'm traveling) and see if I can determine what's inside. (If Scott Chaney is reading this and he knows the answer, maybe he'll respond).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles