'99 Tahoe - Expedition Build!

Spargman

Adventurer
looks awesome (like i said on the other forum lol) really like the air tank, i usually dont see them mounted inside. Is it pretty quiet when running?

We still haven't tested it running inside that cavity...but i don't think it will be too bad. It's my first Viair, but i've heard great things about them,

BurbanAZ

Explorer
thats a good use for the space for the spare, i may have to steal that idea after i finish my roof rack and move my spare lol

Spargman

Adventurer
for my spare (33"), I had a tire carrier incorporated into a bumper i had made.

I was told a tire on top can drag 0.5 - 1.0mpg off your average, so I put it on the back...i also think it looks cool :)

i just mounted the bumper but don't have pics yet...i'll get them up within the next few days.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
for my spare (33"), I had a tire carrier incorporated into a bumper i had made.

I was told a tire on top can drag 0.5 - 1.0mpg off your average, so I put it on the back...i also think it looks cool :)

i just mounted the bumper but don't have pics yet...i'll get them up within the next few days.

thats good to know im trying to squeeze every bit of gas mileage i can since i have the 454 i get garbage mpg. Im planning on building a rear bumper so ill just mount the tire on a swing out on there instead of up top. Post up some pics of ur bumper, what brand did u get?

Spargman

Adventurer
thats good to know im trying to squeeze every bit of gas mileage i can since i have the 454 i get garbage mpg. Im planning on building a rear bumper so ill just mount the tire on a swing out on there instead of up top. Post up some pics of ur bumper, what brand did u get?

I went with Tactical Armor Group....but even though they fixed it in the end (had to send out a second one), it was painful experience. The first one was built incorrectly and the owner immediately offered a correct replacement at his cost (great service). When i sent him photos of how poorly built the first one was (poor welds, painted over welding slag, sealant smear, crooked mounts), he became really sarcastic and unpleasant to work with. I was very professional with him throughout and never raised my voice, so to be treated with sarcasm and such difficultly was uncalled for. I only highlight that so if you go the route of TAG/Kennessaw Mountain, definitely do some searches online to see what you're getting into.

On a positive note - I received the second one a few days ago and the overall build quality increased dramatically. I requested a more senior builder take on my bumper and he must have done it b/c everything I had issues with was fixed.

So, this is a not a "stay away" warning, but if you order from TAG, call them up with your order and discuss expectations for overall build quality before your order. One word of warning is that they place sealant on top of all their welds!!! My first bumper had it (the stuff was smeared everywhere) and I requested for the second bumper that no sealant was placed on the welds. When I chipped away the sealant (first bumper), I found welds that were not prepped correctly (brown & white residue below it) and quality was deplorable...

Second bumper - no sealant and much better welding. Also, they do not put a grinder to their welds...I personally like nice clean seams, but as a practice they leave them raw.

Spargman

Adventurer
Going out of order a little bit today, but here are pics from the RCX install we completed last month.

The good - fit and finish were solid and directions were spot-on

The bad
- NO WAY CAN YOU INSTALL IN 8hrs - two guys who have done this before on a Tahoe with air tools and a hydraulic lift could not bang this out in 4hrs (2 guys x 4hrs each). My recommendation, start Friday evening and hope you are done by dinner on Sunday...our rigs are not spring puppies, you will run into rusty suspension bolts and some are a beast to remove.

- My front anti sway bar kept banging into my tie rods after install - you will have to seriously consider if you want to remove your front sway bar, b/c bending a tie rod is not an option.

- Order longer brake lines from the front & back; RCX has this ridiculous solution for rebending your brake lines - bad idea - don't do it! I didn't have the lines on me so I carefully rebent the lines and the rubber lines are still fully stretched when my wheel drops all the way...I received my Skyjacker extended brake lines this week and they're going in next week.

Quick tips:
When doing this lift, it's a great time to replace your pitman/idle arm/idler arm bracket. These parts wear on our rigs and you're taking apart the entire front end anyway, so spend the extra hour or two and put in some new hardware. I also recommend replacing your upper & lower ball joints - again, these parts wear and you're taking apart the front end anyway. I do have one precaution though, all of this takes up a lot of time, if you need your rig for work on Monday and you haven't completed this type of work before, don't do it...same the extras for another day so you're not stranded.

This lift requires a LOT of tools. Download their install directions online prior to ordering and make sure you can get your hands on this many tools if you don't already own them. I would also seriously recommend you have an air gun to assist you b/c manually doing all of this would be exhausting and a number of these bolts may be seized from rust. Definitely have a least one friend helping you out...there's a lot of work to be done and an extra set of hands is invaluable; especially for resetting the torsion bars and front differential.

Ok, off my soap box - on to the photos

Here's where we did the install...I got really lucky that someone in my family has a commercial garage attached to their house
IMG_8249.jpg

First up - new torsion bars from Sway A Way - these are huge compared to OEM and very little preload is needed to set the suspension up. B/c I'm going to have an extra 350lbs off the front (winch + bumper + battery), I decided to try these bars as they are much stiffer then OEM.

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_8235.jpg

FFR Fabrication made these for me and I have to say, the craftsmanship is superb. These guys are well know for tie rods ends in the NBS community, so I called them up and they made these special for my OBS. These tie rod ends are leagues ahead of OEM and I seriously recommend them for anyone that offroads

IMG_8238.jpg

IMG_8240.jpg

For anyone running the np246 transfer case (it has the Auto 4wd pushbutton), you will need to order the custom driveshaft from RCX - if you don't, you will have vibrations while engaged in 4wd. I was a little skeptical of what RCX was going to send, but I have to say, this front driveshaft is incredibly well made. It's perfectly balanced and a serious beast of a driveshaft with a high end joint that allows greater articulation

IMG_8243.jpg

Also, for folks with rear sway bars (4dr Tahoes + Subs), you will need the longer drop down links for your rear anti sway bar.

Most IFS lift require cutting/grinding/etc - the Tahoe going under the knife by one of the guys helping out
IMG_8248.jpg

Keep a rattle can available and you can make most of your old rusty parts look pretty new; I also painted the frame and IMO, it looks great
IMG_8252.jpg

Shot of the IFS completed!
IMG_8260.jpg

In terms of overall lift, I'm up 4.5" in the rear (Alcan Springs - no blocks), and about 5" up in the front. I just ordered z71 bump stops and i'm hoping that b/c these are smaller then non-Z71 rigs, I can lower the front 0.5".

Once the new bump stops are in, I'll take a photo on level ground to show everyone the new stance!

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Looks good, i really like the look of those new torsion bars, i would like to upgrade mine since i have the extra weight of the very heavy bumper, winch, bettery, etc..

Spargman

Adventurer
those bars are nice and they allow multiple adjustment points due to their splined ends...give sway a way a call and tell them your needs ( i think you have 54" bars - but not 100% sure), if they don't have them in stock, they can have them made.

How does your rig ride now? Does the front end sag and/or your torsion bars are completely maxed out?

FellowTraveler

Explorer
SWAY AWAY "Chevy/GMC torsion bars discontinued"!

According to SWAY AWAY 's web site they have discontinued chevy/gmc torsion bars.

Chevy/GMC OEM torsion bars can be had in capacities far greater than needed in most applications. While I have not raised my suspension when up-fitting my Suburban the stock torsion bars that my diesel Burb came with are 1 ton so change out not required.

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
I had got my rear bumper (great quality) from them back before TAG entered into picture. I see your going the right route w/your build, nice rig!

Spargman

Adventurer
According to SWAY AWAY 's web site they have discontinued chevy/gmc torsion bars.

Chevy/GMC OEM torsion bars can be had in capacities far greater than needed in most applications. While I have not raised my suspension when up-fitting my Suburban the stock torsion bars that my diesel Burb came with are 1 ton so change out not required.

When I ordered I spoke to them about the "discontinued" part on their website bc they actually have them in stock or can have them made...they have a few in stock and it only takes a few wks for them to make a set if needed; calling them up may also get you discount b/c it appears they're not selling a ton of them :)

You are correct - what's nice about the burbs is that can you upgrade to the heavier OEM tbars; I would imagine you will also need the keys. If your tbars are maxed out and the front is sagging, you can also try re-indexing your OEM set for more preload and that may solve the problem.

Spargman

Adventurer
I had got my rear bumper (great quality) from them back before TAG entered into picture. I see your going the right route w/your build, nice rig!

Thanks Fellow!

I like the overall design, nice and beefy bumper. I have to swap out my EGR valve today (electrical short in the unit) and start wiring up my dual battery setup (Group 34 Sears Platinum Marine)...when my 5th tire/wheel combo comes in and I mount it on the bumper, I'll take some photos!!

BurbanAZ

Explorer
those bars are nice and they allow multiple adjustment points due to their splined ends...give sway a way a call and tell them your needs ( i think you have 54" bars - but not 100% sure), if they don't have them in stock, they can have them made.

How does your rig ride now? Does the front end sag and/or your torsion bars are completely maxed out?

I actually dont have any issues now, front end doesnt sag, and i have the bars on their stock adjustment. I have a 3/4 ton so im guessing the torsion bars would be a little heavier which is why they didnt feel the 400 lbs much

Spargman

Adventurer
I actually dont have any issues now, front end doesnt sag, and i have the bars on their stock adjustment. I have a 3/4 ton so im guessing the torsion bars would be a little heavier which is why they didnt feel the 400 lbs much

Yes, the 3/4t bars are stiffer. The best part about tbars is that if the extra weight starts sagging your front end, you can simply crank them to stiffen them up...this of course is within reason as they will eventually start to sag again, but it may not be for awhile. In your setup, it sounds like all is good!

For some reason, mine wore pretty quickly (w/o the extra weight) so I decided to dump them and go heavier since I was only going to put even more strain on the bars with the bumper and winch i'm adding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles