My 1989 Suburban overland/expedition project

Little Red

Adventurer
What kind of roof rack is that? Looks great, been looking forever but I like this one!:Wow1:

It is a custom made roof rack, I looked forever too and could not find a full size roof rack for the suburban, I am petty sure that there is no company that makes these. So I was going to order a custom made roof rack and then I found this one on CL for about 1/3 of the price. The guy that I bought it from had it custom made at a welding shop.

Little Red

Adventurer
Here is another picture of how the truck looks now:

2011_0512.jpg

Last week I got a firewood permit from the Forest Service and got some wood:

2011_0513.jpg

you can also see the new lights I installed on the back of the roof rack, in this picture. It makes backing up at night a lot easier. (the factory backup light are less bright than the brake lights).

And I am also working on a drawer/storage/sleeping platform for the back of my suburban. I am hoping to finish it up tomorrow. Before I go camping.

goin camping

Explorer
I am really eager to see the bed/drawer system you are doing. Will it be a removable system? I am gathering ideas for my buRV trailer tow or camp project.

Little Red

Adventurer
are those some TIR3's(or similar) i see in the top of the grille next to the headlights?

nice build so far.

Yes I got 2 in the front (grille) and 2 on the back (below the spot lights on the roof rack)

I am really eager to see the bed/drawer system you are doing. Will it be a removable system? I am gathering ideas for my buRV trailer tow or camp project.

I will try to post up some pictures, but it is not completely finished yet.
I got most of my inspiration for my sleeper/storage platform built from the storage solutions section here on expo. There are some really nice ones out there.

Mine will hopefully look somewhat similar to this one when finished.

Little Red

Adventurer
Camping trip 2011

I posted a trip report of my camping trip trough NW WA and North ID on the NW Overland Society website. LINK HERE. For those that are interested.

Here are a couple pictures from the trip:

2011_0524001.jpg

2011_0525012.jpg

2011_0528005.jpg

2011_0525014.jpg

2011_0529001.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking pics there Red.Looks like there was a lot of snow in that mountain pass that you drove through....:Wow1:

ccarley

Adventurer
Nice build! I like it a lot. The bedliner on the rockers may be something I need to do with my '89 as well, great idea!

Clay

dieselfuel

Adventurer
nice looking rig man. ive got an 89 GMC 2500 Sub in the backyard that i just pulled the engine out of, working on a restoration then onto the expo-specific mods. i like that roof rack, i might have to build a copy of it for myself.

Erik N

Adventurer
Hi guys, I'm new here.
Do any of you have a link to a spare tire option that is outside the vehicle? I am upgrading to 255/85's this winter, the spare won't fit inside after that. Plus, I dislike having a 100+lb projectile inside the car, right in back of my head.
Vehicle is '88 V20 w/ barn doors.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94