HADDIX'S-03 Tacoma DoubleCab Build

haddix

Adventurer
Traded my 07 Camry SE for this 03 Tacoma Double Cab 4wd. After selling my 4runner in 2010 I was happy to be back in the 4wd Toyota family. Here is the build to my old 3rd gen 4runner.
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/64810-haddixs-build-thread.html

When I traded it had a hard cover on, that was taken off the same day. Here is the first pic I have of the truck.
8fc19e57.jpg
Bone stock. I actually planned on keeping it that way for a while but that lasted a week.
Couple more pics while stock.
b807862b.jpg

I tinted the front windows and added some sliders I had made locally.
9a6bd594.jpg

0ace4e9f.jpg

745961aa.jpg

01189bed.jpg

I hated not really being able to leave anything in the bed. I went back and forth between a leer topper or a softopper and decided on the softopper because I wanted to be able to take it on and off easily. Plus I think the softopper looks bad ***.
c08cdaa7.jpg

9cbfa324.jpg

I have alcan leafs sitting in the garage and plan on going with 255/85 KM2 and bilstein all around.

haddix

Adventurer
Made an IFS skid and had a buddy make a rear bumper for me. Ill get better pics of the rear when I get it painted. Will be ordering the rest of my suspension this week as well.
78b61887.jpg

db3f346a.jpg

haddix

Adventurer
SAW coilovers should be here Monday or Tuesday. Also going to get 255/85 KM2's within the next week. Just trying to see who will give me the best deal.

haddix

Adventurer
Thanks man. I live in Richmond about 15 mins south of Lexington. In the pics above we are wheeling at slade. On March 2nd-4th a group of us are going to Black mountain in Harlan. Feel free to come if you aren't doing anything else.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Good looking truck mate. This is my FAVORITE Tacoma generation by far. They were still actualy "compact trucks" versus what they've become (the new Taco being the size of the T100 and the first gen Tundra... ) Anyway, I really love these trucks. Congrats on being back in the best brand of 4x4rxfar (always thought that saying was wasted on Rovers :D ) and on having a new project. You've got a great starting point aye.

I keep thinking about replacing the 4Runner with something more... "practical"??? I think a 4dr. Taco would be best and this gen. is my personal favorite. With a band that's traveling to play more and more It'd be really nice to have something with more power to cruise comfortably and pull the long grades aroud these parts plus enough of a bed to haul all the gear (or most of it) and still have seating for 5 if need be. Currently the 4Runner is a 2-seater as I've removed the bottom cushions and haver the back "flat-beded" as it were. It's great for Whit and I, but it's a pain when you need to take anyone else. I'd personaly leave the canopy on cause it covers up the gear in back.
So a few questions:

What kind of milage are you seeing??? (this truck is a 3.4V6 right???) And... coming from previously owning a 4Runner, how do you like being in a pick-up versus a wagon??? Do you miss the "pass through"?? Any issues in terms of personal driver comfort (I'm guessing it's less noticable being a quad cab with all that room back there versus a standard cab or even an older X-cab aye)??? Oh and something broader: You could get these gen. trucks in a Manual tranny right (thought the old Expeditions West Truck was a manual)??? And could you get the holly grail combo: Stick, Locker and 3.4V6 with a lever-op T-case??? I think either a 4dr Taco like this or a Cruiser Wagon is in my future... don't tell the 4Runner, she just won't understand.

Cheers

DAve

haddix

Adventurer
Good looking truck mate. This is my FAVORITE Tacoma generation by far. They were still actually "compact trucks" versus what they've become (the new Taco being the size of the T100 and the first gen Tundra... ) Anyway, I really love these trucks. Congrats on being back in the best brand of 4x4rxfar (always thought that saying was wasted on Rovers :D ) and on having a new project. You've got a great starting point aye.

I keep thinking about replacing the 4Runner with something more... "practical"??? I think a 4dr. Taco would be best and this gen. is my personal favorite. With a band that's traveling to play more and more It'd be really nice to have something with more power to cruise comfortably and pull the long grades aroud these parts plus enough of a bed to haul all the gear (or most of it) and still have seating for 5 if need be. Currently the 4Runner is a 2-seater as I've removed the bottom cushions and haver the back "flat-beded" as it were. It's great for Whit and I, but it's a pain when you need to take anyone else. I'd personaly leave the canopy on cause it covers up the gear in back.
So a few questions:

What kind of milage are you seeing??? (this truck is a 3.4V6 right???) And... coming from previously owning a 4Runner, how do you like being in a pick-up versus a wagon??? Do you miss the "pass through"?? Any issues in terms of personal driver comfort (I'm guessing it's less noticable being a quad cab with all that room back there versus a standard cab or even an older X-cab aye)??? Oh and something broader: You could get these gen. trucks in a Manual tranny right (thought the old Expeditions West Truck was a manual)??? And could you get the holly grail combo: Stick, Locker and 3.4V6 with a lever-op T-case??? I think either a 4dr Taco like this or a Cruiser Wagon is in my future... don't tell the 4Runner, she just won't understand.

Cheers

DAve

Seems as if we have the same taste in trucks. I love my "mini truck" The 1st gen Dcab is the holy grail of trucks to me. It is an awesome all around vehicle and I like it quite a bit better than my 4runner. At first I did kind of miss the "pass through" but after adding the softopper it almost feels like I have a more utility type of 4runner. Same seating but I have a bed for all the muddy/wet gear. Plus its always nice just to have that truck bed. The cargo area can stay nice and dry while the rest of the stuff is in the back.
I know you would not be disappointed with a dcab taco great all around platform. I do have the 3.4 but it is an auto. They never made the 1st gen dcab with a manual. There have been a few people that have done a swap and its pretty straight forward. I have owned a single cab taco, the 4runner and the dcab taco and I think I upgraded everytime but the 4runner was a close 2nd. It really was a great rig but when I bought it I settled for it. I was really after a dcab tacoma at that time but the 4runner was very clean so I chose it and I had always been a fan of 4runners. I sometimes miss it but I wouldnt go back to a 4runner from this dcab. The 4door taco has everything the 4runner had plus a few more things. Holy grail isn't possible straight from factory as I said they only came in auto but you could get the locker, 3.4 and lever tcase. Thats what this one has! Oh yeah mileage wise I am seeing about 21 mixed driving now before the softopper I could get 24+ with mostly highway.

Dont let the auto scare you away. Its an awesome all around truck and if it bothers you enough you could always swap in the 5 spd. :sombrero:

upcountry

Explorer
I like the 1st gen too, but its not big enough for a family. Its a single mans truck. The second gen can fit two carseats in the back and still have room for the frontseats to be back far enough for me to be ckmfortable on a long trip I'm 6'3" and there no way my family of four would fit in the first gen tacoma quad cab. I know because we used to have one.

But, if I did not have a family I would still have the first gen.

Another note is the 4.0 liter in the second gen is WAY more powerfull and torquey than the 3
4 liter. That's a no-comparisln upgrade in my opinion and I have driven both extensively.

haddix

Adventurer
I like the 1st gen too, but its not big enough for a family. Its a single mans truck. The second gen can fit two carseats in the back and still have room for the frontseats to be back far enough for me to be ckmfortable on a long trip I'm 6'3" and there no way my family of four would fit in the first gen tacoma quad cab. I know because we used to have one.

But, if I did not have a family I would still have the first gen.

Another note is the 4.0 liter in the second gen is WAY more powerfull and torquey than the 3
4 liter. That's a no-comparisln upgrade in my opinion and I have driven both extensively.

Well I kind of fall into the "single man" category. I'm 21 and have a gf and its just the 2 of us most of the time. I like the feel of the smaller truck but I can definitely see where your coming from with a family. I am a big fan of the 2nd gen but I feel it isn't quite as tough as the 1st gen. Not to take anything away from the 2nd gen I still think it is built better that any of the trucks on the road in it's year range but the first gen just seems a little better overall. I will own a 2nd gen years down the road when the 1st gen needs retiring but that wont be for a while.

haddix

Adventurer
Bilstein 5125's came in yesterday. I had to order an 11'' Bilstein because the Alcan leafs I have were custom made and are pretty tall.
ac753a71.jpg

I was originally going to have the lift and tires installed this week but with the holiday season it looks like it might be after Christmas. Oh well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles