Me and the Moonlander!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
Name: Justin, aka Gear
bicycle Surly- Moonlander 18", aka Fat Bike
Reason for the purchase Well lets see, I turned 40 years of age. I was getting tired of running on a tread mill at the gym. The weights at the gym did not look very inviting. I was looking for a reason to get back Outside!
Why this thread I wanted a place to post up a photograph or two of my rides. Sort of a visual reminder for me to get off my butt and stay active.

MoonlanderonjettySouthPonto-0295.jpg

The Moonlander - On the jetty just North of South Ponto Beach, Carlsbad, CA

Gear

La Costa Preserve

IMG_0211-1.jpg

December 26, 2011 - Out the back door to my local single tracks. This is known as the Boy Scout Kiosk. 2 miles from the house and 554' of elevation climb.

IMG_0216.jpg

A photograph looking North towards home.

Gear

Mittry Lake - Yuma, AZ

IMG_0231-1.jpg

December 28-30, 2011 - A road trip with the family lead us to some great camping and biking around Mittry Lake.

Gear

USS Midway and the San Diego Harbor

IMG_0237-1.jpg

January 6, 2012 - Family ride along the harbor.

Sloan

Explorer
Sweet!!! I looked at the Moonlander but the 18 was too small and the 20 was too big. I ended up getting a Mukluk which was just right.

Gear

Pemberton Trail, Mcdowell Mountain Regional Park, AZ

IMG_0273-1.jpg

January 14, 2012 - Four days in Arizona. One day was spent riding some of the Pemberton Trail.

Gear

Sweet!!! I looked at the Moonlander but the 18 was too small and the 20 was too big. I ended up getting a Mukluk which was just right.

Ah Yes the Mukluk, another fine example of a Fat Bike. We should get together for a ride. Do you ever get down to North San Diego?

Gear

La Costa Preserve - Encinitas, CA

IMG_0282-1.jpg

January 18, 2012 - On a single track called Vista Del Mar.

Gear

Beach Ride - Oceanside to South Carlsbad State Beach

IMG_0286-1.jpg

January 20, 2012 - I rode about 8 miles of beach (one way).

Gear

Beach Ride - South Ponto to Dog Beach, Del Mar, CA

MoonlanderTreeMittrylake-0287.jpg

January 22, 2012 - Just shy of 10 miles on the beach. I only had to hop on the road at one spot to get over the river mouth at San Elijo Lagoon.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Crap! I promised you I wouldn't look up "Moonlander" before you showed me your new bike and then I clicked on this thread. :mixed-smiley-030:

Oh well, it's way cooler than I would've guessed anyway. Now I want one too. :sombrero:

Gear

Crap! I promised you I wouldn't look up "Moonlander" before you showed me your new bike and then I clicked on this thread. :mixed-smiley-030:

Oh well, it's way cooler than I would've guessed anyway. Now I want one too. :sombrero:

I thought that might happen. Oh well, I hope to ride by today!

Wow, cool bike and great photos! How heavy are those tires? and how much pressure do you run in them?

I am not sure of the weight of the tires, but the Moonlander weights 38 pounds. Tire pressure plays a huge roll in how this bicycle performs. I run anywhere from 18 psi on the street to 8 psi in the soft terrain. Thanks for the compliments on the photographs. All of them have been taken with my iPhone 4s. Most using an App called Pano. I see you are in San Diego. Let me know if you would like to see it in person.

Gear

Fed Expo

IMG_0300.jpg

January 24, 2012 - I did a little Fed Expo ride. I traveled over to Palomar Airport to drop off HMR's winnings from the last Conspiracy Rendezvous. A price package from Trasharoo(attached to the new front rack).

IMG_0306.jpg

HMR(Jeremy) trying out the Moonlander.

Mileage 18.9 miles
Elevation Gain 1599 feet
Moving Average 10.4 mph

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles