Anyone ever heard of this in a Ford 6.0 diesel?

JumpJ

Adventurer
Remove the catalytic converter and your mileage will increase??

Questions - will it smoke more?
Thoughts?
Thanks

maXTERRA

Adventurer
Don't think the smoke level will change, as that's unburnt fuel. That will change if you get a programmer or chip for it.
Less restriction for the turbo (backpressure), so it will spool up quicker with possibly more max boost pressure.

Not sure of all the ramifications on the 6-oh and what if any issues will result from this affecting the ecu and emission controls.
Also, emissions are steadily getting stricter on diesels in many states, and it may not pass vehicle inspection w/o it.

I'm a 7.2 guy, and yes it helped on mine (downpipe, straight thru muffler and 4" pipe).

jagular7

Adventurer
I've heard about the cat delete/test pipe and hi-flow muffler as direct replacements to support other deletes/tunes/hardware on the engine itself.

The fuel injectors need clean fuel, so change fuel filters every other oil change. You can add a supplement as well.
Fuel injectors are a hydraulic powered electric fired to perform. The hydraulics come from the oil. So treat your engine with great oil and maintain its schedule changes. Add a by-pass micro-filter oil system and save in the 4gal changes with oil sampling. You can add an oil supplement as well. Suggest Hot Shots.
The engine is mfrd within sand castings. So sand it prevelant in the internal systems. Cooling is another important attribute to the 6.0l so its needs to be very clean as well. It cools internal coolers and is a major component to the egr system. Sand floats in the cooling and will hurt the internal cooling and water pump. There is a by-pass system for that as well. My egr system went bad and its possible due to the sand. The walls as thin.

There are vast delete kits for the problematic systems on the 6.0l. Four-Wheeler mag just had 2 articles on using BulletProof Diesel products and still meet the epa requirements. Or you can do deletes, add a tuner (to control the CEL), and have a great running diesel truck. Add the by-pass filter systems and make it last longer.

I'm performing the latter at this time. Tossed in a egr delete after the system went bad and I ate coolant. Toss in a by-pass oil filter and coolant system. After first oil change with the by-pass, I'll be adding the oil supplement. Added SCT tuner to support the CEL indicator. Was getting 12-14mpg. Just filled up tank after all installed. Hope to see an increase.
Next plan is the exhaust test pipe and hi-flow muffler with stock exhaust.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I can't speak for the Fords but a cat delete on a '04.5-'07 5.9 Cummins nets about 2-4 rwhp. according to real world dyno tests posted by Cummins Forum members. A freer flowing intake and muffler would probably help that engine the most.

Cody1771

Explorer
being a Marine engineer and having a strong background in diesels i never really understood the point of a CAT on a diesel engine, you dont see them in industry. imo they arnt good for them based on the principle in which diesels run. when you get that big black cloud at startup or when you punch it it is because your turbo hasnt spooled up yet, so you have poor scavanging and therefor have tons of unburnt fuel, this unburnt fuel can clog up a CAT over time. the cummins 6.9's are having issues with this. Diesels, when running at rated load, are much more efficient than gas engines anyways. backpressure is bad on a diesel, cuts down on scavanging efficiency and which works against your turbo...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I dpf's were clogging initially when the truck was used as a grocery getter. The new software has initiated a passive regeneration which has lessened the clogging event. I know of a longterm Cummins Dodge tech who's never seen a clogged cat. The dpf's another matter though. That being said,I wish mine didn't even have the cat. Luckily I scored the last of the external egr/dpf equipped Cummins.

Albin

Adventurer
Wont smoke more.
Negligible mileage increase.
Will drop EGT's.
Will make exhaust louder.

04' 6.0 no muffler or cat. otherwise stock.

Pretty much my experience with '06 F-350 SRW. It's only really louder when I put my foot in it. It cost me $45 at my local muffler shop to replace the kitty with a test pipe, so I can reinstall it if I want (like going to the dealer for warranty work). $45 to remove the muffler. Best $90 I ever spent on my truck (except for the coolant filter).

Al

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles