New Kodiak Flex-bow VX Canvas Tents (includes two new large triangular side windows)

Crom

Expo this, expo that, exp
From another portal member I've discovered that here is a new Kodiak model tent on the market. The triangular windows on the side are new. I'm curous does anyone yet have this model tent and wish to comment on the new windows and how well they the work?

Me too. Check out competitiveedgeproducts.com. They have an exclusive 10x10 on sale now. It has 4 windows and 2 doors. The regular delux model has 2 windows and 2 doors. The one on sale that I'm referencing has 2 additional windows on the sides of the tent....$459 delivered.

Very interesting. Thanks for your post. I did not know about that particular model/design or the reseller. I placed a phone call to Kodiak to inquire about the new tent design. I spoke to Mike, I was curious to know how the triangular window zips open and closed. Is it two zippers or one or? He unfortunately did not know. The new tent design has only been available for the last month or so and at the present time is being exclusively sold through one reseller.

On Kodiak's website it's known as the:10x10 ft. Flex-Bow VX Canvas Tent Model 6011 or 10x14 ft. Flex-Bow VX Canvas Tent Model 6041

Introducing our new VX series. We have added large triangle windows on both ends. The extra windows give you eXtra Ventilation and eXtra openness and Views. This feature is a must when camping in hot summer weather, allowing you to really open the tent up. When conditions change, simply zip the windows shut from the inside. The VX series is identical to our Deluxe version with the exception that instead of funnel-flow vents, you have large triangle windows on both ends. Available in 10x10 and 10x14 sizes.

6011-w2.jpg
10x10 pictured above

6041-w.jpg
10 x 14 pictured above

6011%20Side[1].jpg
Side view

It really seems like a great addition. I like the ability to unzip the window and look out if I need to. "****** was that noise? I don't' know, let me look, unzip" Or, perhaps there is a nice natural feature one wants to gaze upon, or for ventilation purposes, unzip and look out. Etc. However, I'm slightly apprehensive about new designs for something major like shelter. Previously there was a complete canvas wall, now it has been cut and I presume new stitching inserted for the window, which could be a possible point of failure in the future? Am I being overly concerned? Does anyone yet have this model tent and wish to comment?

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
No problem, Crom. I'm trying to convince my wife to allow for a $500 tent. I should be able to close the deal this holiday season...I just hope this sale holds until I get approval/funding. The two additional windows do sound nice. I'm in Florida and camp year-round including summer months. So, the extra ventilation would be nice. If I pull the trigger before you Ill be sure to post up pics and a review.

I hope I didn't violate any expo rules by posting the dealer website.

Crom

^ :) Makes perfect sense to me. For a number of years I've traveled to Tampa in the summer time and it's very hot and humid so it would be an enormous advantage to have the extra ventilation!

Good luck with the wife, hopefully the sale will hold. :snorkel: It took a little while but I successfully convinced mine (thank goodness)! :elkgrin: My plan was to acquire the tent Nov-Dec. I've been researching since Summer. I'm trying to plan for a family of four. I think that the Kodiak brand and Flex-bow line offers tremendous value. I've also settled on the 10x10 size. The 10x14 while large and luxurious, no doubt; can be difficult to find a flat spot to stake it out. Plus several years from now once the kids have moved out of our tent, the 10x10 will be extra roomy for the wife and me.

I plan to use the tent in organized campgrounds in the beginning, but I also will use it at primitive camp sites in the back country. It gets pretty hot here too in the summer time, although not usually humid, mostly dry heat. We'll be doing a fair amount of desert camping where high winds at night can be very strong and problematic, so that's a major concern for me. I've read nothing but good comments about the flex-bows holding up well in storms, so I am trusting that it will be fine for me.

One thing that is helpful for me to remember is the limited lifetime warranty, and the fact that they want their customers to be happy with good customer service.

:tent:

Anonymark

Observer
Thanks for posting this, or wait maybe not! I was just about to pull the trigger on the regular 10x10, now I have another choice..... This tent looks like a winner for some of the hotter summer camping though.....

Crom

:) You're welcome Anonymark, and thanks to Colonal Angus as well.

Earlier in the day I placed a call and spoke to Charlie from Competitive Edge Products and he was telling me that one of his coworkers has this tent. He was going to relay my question to him about how the triangular window zips open and closed. He did say that the tent got two thumbs up though.

Also as it turns out the triangular side window is not an entirely new concept. Springbar apparently uses this style window in the Colossus model tent. I see this as a good omen for the Kodiak.

I'm going to talk to my better half tonight about this tent offering and see what she says... :ylsmoke:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
ALRIGHT GUYS...time to order!!! Said website is now offering an additional 5% off the sales price!!!! $436

My plan was to acquire the tent Nov-Dec. I've been researching since Summer. I'm trying to plan for a family of four. I think that the Kodiak brand and Flex-bow line offers tremendous value. I've also settled on the 10x10 size. The 10x14 while large and luxurious, no doubt; can be difficult to find a flat spot to stake it out. Plus several years from now once the kids have moved out of our tent, the 10x10 will be extra roomy for the wife and me.

:tent:

That's funny...its like we live in a parallel universe...this is the exact situation I'm in and my exact reasoning for the 10x10.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Just ordered mine. Should be here in a week. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'm really looking forward to it and after months of reading up on Kodiak tents...I know it'll be everything I hoped for.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

maxingout

Adventurer
We debated the tent question for a long time before we purchased the Springbar Campsite Three. It has a 7 x 10 footprint, and I wondered if I should get the 10x10 size model. The Springbar and Kodiak tents are nearly identical in size and layout. I have no idea about differences in workmanship and durability.

We decided to go for the smaller 7 x 10 because we figured that the smaller footprint would make it easier to get into tight places. The ventilation is excellent as there is a huge window in the back, and dual ventilation in the front. We also selected the 7 x 10 because it was lighter with shorter poles to transport in the truck. Ultimately, I ended up carrying the poles in PVC tube on the roof rack, so the poles were not a problem.

The problem with the Springbar and the Kodiak is that you can only pitch the tent in a location where you can drive large stakes into the ground. The tent design works because the flexible metal supports stretch the tent from the stakes on the bottom to the metal bars on the top. If you cannot drive stakes into the ground because you are trying to pitch near granite or sandstone, you can't put the tent up. Here in Arizona, there are lots of awesome places to pitch a tent except for the fact that you can't drive stakes into the ground because it is solid rock an inch below the surface.

For that reason, we carry a dome tent to use in those instances when it is not possible to use the Springbar. We can always put up the dome tent without using any stakes and fill it up with gear so it won't blow away.

Springbar and Kodiak are awesome tents as long as you have a place where you can drive the stakes into the ground.

If weight isn't a problem, and if transporting poles isn't a problem, and if you camp in areas where you can drive stakes into the ground, you will enjoy your Kodiak or Springbar.

SPRINGBAR_CAMPSITE_3.jpgSpringbar_Campsite_Three.jpg

Crom

ALRIGHT GUYS...time to order!!! Said website is now offering an additional 5% off the sales price!!!! $436

That's funny...its like we live in a parallel universe...this is the exact situation I'm in and my exact reasoning for the 10x10.
Thanks for your post. I ended up ordering Thanksgiving night. Saved some cash!

We debated the tent question for a long time before we purchased the Springbar Campsite Three. It has a 7 x 10 footprint, and I wondered if I should get the 10x10 size model. The Springbar and Kodiak tents are nearly identical in size and layout. I have no idea about differences in workmanship and durability.

We decided to go for the smaller 7 x 10 because we figured that the smaller footprint would make it easier to get into tight places. The ventilation is excellent as there is a huge window in the back, and dual ventilation in the front. We also selected the 7 x 10 because it was lighter with shorter poles to transport in the truck. Ultimately, I ended up carrying the poles in PVC tube on the roof rack, so the poles were not a problem.

The problem with the Springbar and the Kodiak is that you can only pitch the tent in a location where you can drive large stakes into the ground. The tent design works because the flexible metal supports stretch the tent from the stakes on the bottom to the metal bars on the top. If you cannot drive stakes into the ground because you are trying to pitch near granite or sandstone, you can't put the tent up. Here in Arizona, there are lots of awesome places to pitch a tent except for the fact that you can't drive stakes into the ground because it is solid rock an inch below the surface.

For that reason, we carry a dome tent to use in those instances when it is not possible to use the Springbar. We can always put up the dome tent without using any stakes and fill it up with gear so it won't blow away.

Springbar and Kodiak are awesome tents as long as you have a place where you can drive the stakes into the ground.

If weight isn't a problem, and if transporting poles isn't a problem, and if you camp in areas where you can drive stakes into the ground, you will enjoy your Kodiak or Springbar.

View attachment 132156View attachment 132157

Thanks for your post. I really enjoyed reading (for like an hour) about your experience driving in the Arabian desert dunes. Totally awesome! I also like the idea of the roof rack PVC tube. I may borrow that!

brentbba

Explorer
I have to agree 100% with Dave's write up on the Springbar. I did get the 10x10 and wish I'd have gone with the smaller 7x10. Staking is the only real time consumer putting up one of these tents. 16 stakes around the sides and 4 more if you put up the canopy and stake down the doormat. That's a lot of pounding. I ruined the original 12" stakes provided by Springbar in harder ground. Replaced them with Snowpeak stakes and couldn't be happier with them. Regarding the new side windows on the Kodiak - nice addition to the tent.

maxingout

Adventurer
Transport of the poles is a safety issue.

The poles for the Springbar campsite three fit across the floor of the second row of seats. They are safe there, and they would do no harm if there was an accident because the poles will not travel. The poles must never be carried in the car in a manner that they could skewer the occupants of the vehicle if there was an accident.

The floor pole storage worked great except that getting them in and out of the fully loaded truck was a problem when we had a ton of gear. That's the reason we went to roof storage in PVC tube. I also put the handle of the high lift jack inside the pvc tube as well. If we are ever in an accident, the poles won't skewer the occupants of the vehicle.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the sand driving article. It brought back great memories as I was putting it together. Sand driving is awesome especially when you have a million square miles in which you have the freedom to explore.

Anonymark

Observer
Alas, no VX Canvas tent for me. Mrs Anonymark has used her Craigslist-**** skills to find a new in box-never used Kodiak 10x10 for about 1/2 the price. I'm still looking forward to the tent though.....Can't wait to throw this beast up at scout camp....

Crom

Half price is a wonderful thing! Congrats! I received the VX tent, yesterday but must wait until Saturday when we have light to set it up. :)

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I received my VX but I haven't had a chance to even pull it out of the box. Had to leave town same day I got it. I have plans to camp the weekend of the 15th. I'd like to set it up and take it down at least before putting it out the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94