New GXV lifting-roof "Pangea" model

chrismc

Adventurer
Glovel Expedition Vehicles has just posted a photo gallery of their new "Pangea" lifting-roof model. Like many previous GXV builds, this one looks to be built on the International Trucks TerraStar medium-duty truck chassis. Hopefully, the full specs will be posted soon. In the meantime, you can browse the photo gallery on GXV's site: GXV Pangea Gallery

DSC_1135aa-copy.jpg

alosix

Expedition Leader
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

RR1

Explorer
Wonder if they'll ever do that to their UXV model?

Would be cool to have a "low profile" popup on the 550 chassis.

This+popup=awesome

brush-truck-3.jpg

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Yea, it's a nice rig. They seem to be following the Unicat philosophy with that pop up.

I.e., With the top down, it's still a full-height box, but with the top up you get a second story where the beds are. Nice setup for a land yacht.

That's a somewhat different design philosophy than making a pop up so that when the top is down the whole truck is less tall - such as an Alaskan or westyss' FG build (one of my absolute favorite builds BTW).

howell_jd

Adventurer
I had the pleasure of visiting GXV back in early April - before tornados and floods consumed my duties with the Corps of Engineers. During the visit, I was fortunate to witness some rigorous testing subjected upon this awesome vehicle.

Mike Van Pelt had his fantastic crew of innovative craftsmen climb upon the roof and called for the lifting mechanism to raise the entire assembly of metal and men upwards. That would be some snow load I imagine but the roof will handle an extra 1,000lbs or more with little effort. Mike also had the back end of the truck lifted over two feet - twisting the frame - and tilting the truck and living quarters substantially. Once more, the lifting mechanism successfully lifted the significantly off-level roof with no problem.

I am impressed.

Great work GXV team! Hope to visit you all again soon.

Jonathan

greg.potter

Adventurer
Very nice!

I'd have to agree with dwh that westyss' build is the nicest non commercially built unit I have seen so far - I too am partial to keeping the overall height down. Some of the Langer and Bock "pop top" boxes from Germany are very nice as well - but not for the faint of wallet.

matt s

Explorer
That's Alaska plates on that bad boy. I may get to see it in person running around up here someday.

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
I am not trying to hi-jack this thread into a full-height vs pop-up, but as someone who is moving to something larger, I must ask this question.

With the non "full height" pop-ups, does the annoyance and wear and tear of the constant up and down anytime one wants to have a quick lunch, or step out of the weather make it not worth it.

Driving down the highway with the family, want to stop and make some food since we are cheap...pop the top, then drop the top. Get to the camp site when it's POURING down rain, have to wait for the top to come up.

Just wondering if the couple of feet in height you save is worth it. Seems to me that the full height that pops up for more sleep space is more useful and will last longer do to less up and down cycles.

haven

Expedition Leader
Beautiful camper! I imagine some Fire / Police / Homeland Security departments could make good use of this design as a (very) mobile command post.

Regarding the height of the pop-up, I suspect that GXV could build a lower profile version for a customer who has the cash.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
With the non "full height" pop-ups, does the annoyance and wear and tear of the constant up and down anytime one wants to have a quick lunch, or step out of the weather make it not worth it.

I can't speak for these awesome rigs, but as a prior owner of a ‘Four Wheeler' pop-up camper, that was never an issue. There was more then enough room inside for the quick lunch stop, get out of the rain, etc. We just popped it to full height for stay in place camping. I think the lower overall height was of great value on trails, not only for overhead obstacles, but also to lower the center of gravity, and the reduced wind resistance was the major plus. I'm sure the Pangea would have plenty of room with the top down. I can't tell if the XP Camper's split door would open in the down position ?

apexcamper

Carefully scripted chaos
Great info Mog, thanks;
Having never actually been in one of the half-height pop-ups I didn't know what to expect. I spent alot of time in the 70's in a pop-up trailer, and I can tell you that you dont get in it unless it is popped...guess I was just translating that experience over

RR1

Explorer
I am not trying to hi-jack this thread into a full-height vs pop-up, but as someone who is moving to something larger, I must ask this question.

Driving down the highway with the family, want to stop and make some food since we are cheap...pop the top, then drop the top. Get to the camp site when it's POURING down rain, have to wait for the top to come up.

Just wondering if the couple of feet in height you save is worth it. Seems to me that the full height that pops up for more sleep space is more useful and will last longer do to less up and down cycles.

Problem is easily solved by having a switch in the cab.

A quick you tube search on the XP I posted, shows it raises and lowers quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdfDVnnpLvI

I would assume the GXV is similar.

Last edited:

BigGreen

Hello
I'm new to the site and this is my first post.
Is there a basic Pangea gxv and does anyone know how much they are?
Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles