Post up your drawer/storage system

Also, wondering if anyone has ammo cans or metal boxes mounted along the frame under the vehicle especially under a pickup bed....lots of space down there so long as you don't reduce the clearance. ??

I've wondered that too. I'm thinking of trying to come up with some sort of storage for tire chains at least to mount to the frame under the cab on the drivers side (I have plans for an on-board air system under the passenger side). Seems like a lot of useable space under there. Yes, it may get mucked up a bit and access may not always be the easiest. Something like chains aren't used all that often and I typically have a small tarp that I carry so I limit my mud time when I have to crawl under the vehicle.

Ray_G

Explorer
Update to my setup, I replaced items on my rear door with a hard MOLLE setup from Springtail solutions, utilizing their tear away first aid kit and one of their medium pouches:
MPAC_mounting2.jpgMPAC_final.jpgMPAC_clearance.jpg

Great customer service and a very nice product.
I also decided I wanted a rear cargo barrier to let me toss in smaller lightweight stuff without worrying about it too much. This is not to replace ratchet strapping down coolers, bags, bins, etc-just an acknowledgement that sometimes its easier to throw sleeping bags, pillows, clothing, or other small things into the back without positive retention. This keeps a clear separation between the 'crew' area and the cargo area of the truck. Problem I had was the Discovery had an OE mesh dog barrier but not for a rear AC model (the rear ac model was the bar kind). So I decided to try the Remington pet barrier (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WT6M2O/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00) as the price was decent and it gave a starting point to deviate from.

End result included creating a mount for the bottom and upper section bolted into the truck:
IMGP2400.jpgIMGP2401.jpg

Not the most elegant of solutions but got into use a lot faster than if I'd done fabrication myself. Function over form in this case, but I'm not unhappy with it. Next up, chainsaw storage in the back along with rotopax mounts.
r-
Ray

98OzarksRunner

Adventurer
Not real fancy but I wanted secure storage. I found some aluminum boxes at the surplus store (for medical equipment), 19" X 31" X 8" (I believe). I cut the latches off them (hated to cut the latches off such nice boxes, bought 3, kept 1 for the roof). I made a frame from 3/4" angle steel and covered the top with 14 ga steel. The frame has tabs that fit under the cargo mat loops to secure it, with padlocks on the back allowing it to be removed. I'll probably put some carpeted plywood over the top.

DSC_6774_2.jpg

DSC_6776_2.jpg

DSC_7050.jpg

DSC_7058.jpg

DSC_7051.jpg

kfgk14

Adventurer
I don't think it is. The Metric stuff of 80/20 has a cross around the center hole IIRC. Also, 80/20 isn't common on his side of the pond. Bosch and Item were the two biggest ones from when I spent my time working for a German company that used both.

Good point. My bad.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Here is my latest project...my bed organization system. Below are pics of version 1. It is still in it's trial/testing period.

I have yet to install the dual battery set up. The house battery and fuse block will go behind the fridge. The center section top is removable via 4 bolts to allow transporting of my bike. Eventually I will mount the compressor on the right size of the fridge. The center section will hold two of the small action packers with storage on the side for my Eureka camp table.

The whole system slides in or out in only a few minutes so I still maintain the functionality of the bed to make runs to the local home improvement store.

8230197314_b0a98ed558_z.jpg

8229132523_7fb3411b95_z.jpg

8230198076_31c76b8902_z.jpg

Last edited:

BulletHead

Adventurer
What's the best source for turn buckles? I see some nice ones on this thread holding down fridges, and I really need some to finish off my slide with fridge.

Woodsman

Adventurer
What's the best source for turn buckles? I see some nice ones on this thread holding down fridges, and I really need some to finish off my slide with fridge.

Many hardware stores carry a limited selection. I usually order hardware and fasteners from Fastenal.com or McMaster.com

Haitham

Thank you for the thread it was helpful. Now I know exactly what I need. Once I'm done I will post some pictures.

Captm

Adventurer
Water/tools/battery

I removed the rear seat and base of my 2005 Tacoma Dbl cab and built storage for water, tools, Hi lift and battery under a dog platform. My goal was to keep the weight low, centered and where it was designed to be, well actually it was meant for 3 adults (170lbs. x 3 =510) but who’s counting.

I started with a 26 gal. water tank measuring 50 x 16 x 8 inches, and based the rest of the build around it. For sound deadening and thermal protection, after stripping and cleaning the area, I brushed Liquid Body Armor then applied EZ Cool Insulation. I compared all the different products out there I thought this would be a good combination for light weight and be easy on the wallet. The plywood I used was a combination of Euro ply Birch and scraps of marine grade mahogany ply from another project. The ply was affixed to the aft bulkhead with 5200 using existing bolt holes. Forward 1x1 aluminum angle was affixed with 5200 and riveted to the floor pan to provide stiffness and a mounting point for the ply. Again 5200 was used and screws were set thru the angle into the ply.

The fill and vent for the tank is on the driver side with the drain on the bottom centered over an existing hole. I cut a hole in the floor plug to provide a water tight fitting against the nipple.

The DieHard Platinum Marine Battery Group Size 31M, Blue Sea Safety Hub 250 Fuse Block with Remote Battery Switch, Sun Saver 10amp 12v solar charge controller, and power for the subwoofer are mounted passenger side. The speaker is mounted in an enclosure centered facing forward between driver and passenger. The driver side storage holds tools, recovery gear and a Hi Lift stretching from side to side.

All said n done with the tank pressed and dogs loaded I am just shy of the 510 lbs. mark.
Cheers
(still trying to figure out how to place photos in the correct order)
Elect.jpgIMAG0186.jpgrear panel center.jpgDriver side-tools and recovery equipt..jpgIMAG0145.jpgIMAG0136.jpgIMAG0144.jpgIMAG0138.jpg

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great work on here guys..

Mine... simple, 2 drawer, Accuride slides, 9 ply Baltic Birch 1/2" ply-glued and stapled

Drawers are 24" deep with full extension slides, there is room for a 6" bonus long gun compartment with a hinged cover in the front

Sketch Up file available on request, include email

photo-59.jpg

DRAWER.jpg

photo-58.jpg

photo-57.jpg

photo-56.jpg

IMG_20121202_140110.jpg

IMG_20121202_140115.jpg

IMG_20121202_140122.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members