90 Dodge CTD build(pics)

Outback

Explorer
I didnt know that. Your right they would have sold a bunch. I like the adition of the modern wheels. I would love to find one like yours. Add some Power Wagon wheels and some 4" National Springs lift. That would be about the perfect expedition platform you could find.

Rot Box

Explorer
I agree. Its too bad they never put a Cummins in a crew from the factory though. I bet they would have sold a lot of em.

That would have been the ultimate truck! If Dodge would have held onto their crew cabs for only a few more years... Or if Ford or GM would have put the Cummins in their crew cabs--either way works for me LOL :coffeedrink:

Needing 4 doors I had no choice but to settle for the mechanical IDI--which is the next best thing in my mind but its no 6 popper 12V :violent-smiley-031:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Someday I'm gonna build a Dodge or Chevy crew long box with a B series under the hood, NV4500 or maybe a 5600, 205 and a 60/14b combo with 3.73s and 35s with about 4" of lift using Alcan springs. Just gotta find a decent crew thats affordable though.:smiley_drive:

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
who would ever build a 1st gen dodge? :)

you could always bob the bed to make the camper shell fit, not that i encourage cutting perfectly good trucks apart and welding them back together.

I agree on the 14-bolt swap. The really late model versions, about 2003, even had factory disc brakes with the intergrated hat style parking brake. the width is suppose to be a perfect match for the 67.5" front axle. I have been trying to stumble across one for my truck. They only come with 3.73 or 4.10 gears though. If someone would happen to have factory 4.10s in there truck the late model 14-bolt would be soooo easy.

i'm happy to see some more affordable 1st gen dodge trucks in here.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well I think I got the short topper sold hopefully, got a guy coming to take a look at it tomorow.:wings:

And I went and looked at this one yesterday and will probly go snag it tomorow. I love craigslist!!!:coffeedrink:

This one came off a 88-98 Chevy so it should fit the cab contour a little better than the F@$d topper did. The only bad thing is it has a fixed front window, so I'll have to find a slider or somthing for it.

campershell.jpg

SChandler

Adventurer
Well I think I got the short topper sold hopefully, got a guy coming to take a look at it tomorow.:wings:

And I went and looked at this one yesterday and will probly go snag it tomorow. I love craigslist!!!:coffeedrink:

This one came off a 88-98 Chevy so it should fit the cab contour a little better than the F@$d topper did. The only bad thing is it has a fixed front window, so I'll have to find a slider or somthing for it.

Don't bother with any canopy for an 88-98 Chevy. The bed on those trucks tapers at the back. The width on the canopy matches at the front of the Dodge bed, but is narrower by about 2" IIRC. I looked at a canopy off of an 89 Chevy long bed and it was too narrow to work at the back of the bed on my 92.

From my research, a canopy off of a 73-87 Chevy (91 in the R/V series) and a 74-ish to 97 Ford long bed should fit the 72-93 Dodge just fine. Bed widths and lengths are similar across those models are similar.

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well, its been a while since I've been on here, Anywhoo I got a new job and am working again and havn't been online a whole lot.

Anyway heres an update.

After I started working my truck went into Puller mode and made a few hooks and did pretty decent overall. except I used up a clutch. The pulling season is over and the truck is back in street trim and getting prepped to go on a little 1300 mile trip in 2 weeks to Indiana for a 1stgen Cummins Dodge get together.

In the past few weeks I have put a new head and gasket on it fixed a stripped hole in the block(happened when torquing), new clutch, new engine wiring harness,new speedo wiring harness, fixed the stereo and Amp, cleaned out the truck, put the toolbox back in, bumpers are back on, built a new turbo, plumbed in a home made boost fooler for the wastegate, Fixed the leaky radiator,and put a new water pump on.

Heres some videos of my hooks this season.

First hook of the season
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U82D206OnKQ"]YouTube - Pulltilbroke Wahoo 2.6 2010[/ame]
Clutch started to go south.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqSeZTJfSkA"]YouTube - Pulltilbroke at Sarpy county 2010[/ame]
Clutch was done
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB4AvbOyzoU"]YouTube - Pulltilbroke at Falls City 2010[/ame]
Best hooks ever for me, after new clutch
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Zve9YgW80"]YouTube - Pulltilbroke 2.6 at Adams[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Um2SXwExw"]YouTube - Pulltilbroke 2.8 at Adams[/ame]

And a few pics of it in puller mode.
Pullersetup011.jpg

Pullersetup003.jpg

Pullersetup005.jpg

Pullersetup004.jpg

A couple of the toasted clutch
bunedclutch003.jpg

bunedclutch004.jpg

I won't be posting any new pics til I get a new camera as I lost mine after I left it o the front spring after taking some Tech pics

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Well I finaly got a new camera.

I havn't done much to the truck lately other than regular maintenence and some small repairs. Had to put a new steering box bracket on, rebuilt the double cardin end of the front driveshaft, fixed the leaky front pinion seal,

Other than that I have done nothing but drive the crap out of it, I have gone on a few short drives in the past few months.

Back in October I went to SOP which is a little 1stgen Dodge gathering just outside of Peru Indiana. If you like 1stgens, good food, and laughing a lot this is a fun event to go to, even if it has rained the last 2 years.

Here is a few links to the other sites where I got pics posted.

http://1stgen.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8520&start=105

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/89-93-non-powertrain/295640-s-o-p-7-a-4.html

Anywho, in the coming months I will be getting a new set of rubbers for the old Dodge I narrowed down my choices to 2 tires, size will be 35-12.5-17. The deciscion is down to BFG KM2s or The Treadwrights retreads, I've heard very good things about both but the value of the Treadwrights is excelent. I will also be getting a shackle flip setup to fix the rear block issue and to get the rusty stock spring hangers out of there.

Well heres some test shots with the new camera.

Dodgepics016.jpg

Dodgepics001.jpg

Dodgepics005.jpg

Dodgepics008.jpg

Dodgepics011.jpg

12-24-10002.jpg

12-24-10003.jpg

On Edit: I forgot to mention that I scored a real clean cab too, so this spring it goes on after a little paint is sprayed on it.

Last edited:

pulltilbroke

Adventurer
Scored on Craigslist again today:wings:. As I was sitting around work today with nothing to do I was cruising the local CL and come across an add for an 8' topper so i clicked on it and VOILA there it was... Exactly what I was looking for I found a fiberglass highback 8' topper for an early Dodge like mine and he only wanted 60$ for it. So needless to say after I got off work I gave him a call and headed in his direction, It is now on the back of my truck..... sort of. The back hatch needs a little attention as the window is busted and the twist handle is in the locked position. I still gotta pull the tool box but the weather forecast isn't looking to promising for that, 7-10" of snow expected in the next 2 days.

Dodgepics007-1.jpg

Dodgepics008-1.jpg

Dodgepics009-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shevy5000