Me and the Moonlander!

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I'm in the world famous OC just north of you. A couple shops I called in So Cal had them in different sizes, but The Path in Tustin, CA had the 20" available. And The Path is the closest to me and IS now my home shop. I got these crazy azz friends that race MTB and its them that want to go south cuz they know I tour groups to Baja, but we do it on motos and vehicles, so they are pushing for a full MTB Expedition south...I do about 30K on dirt roads annually in Baja, but in a truck and although its doable, you better be in some bad azz shape to make it to the tip of Baja. :)

Thanks for the heads up on The Path. Well I am sure there would be some awesome riding down in Baja. I need to get back down there. It as been way to long.

Gear

Critical Mass - March 30, 2012

Moonlander-CriticalMass4-0709.jpg

Well it was the last Friday of the month and that means it is Critical Mass. I had such a good time riding around San Diego last time that I just had to go again. Here is my downtown tour guide, Miles my brother.

Moonlander-CriticalMass2-0708.jpg

The tour started with some fun single track on Fiesta Island. Miles is an avid birder and kept calling out the names of the birds.

Moonlander-CriticalMass8-0717.jpg

From there we rode over to the San Diego River area.

Moonlander-CriticalMass10-0722.jpg

Then it was up this canyon to one of San Diego's many Missions.

Moonlander-CriticalMass11-0724.jpg

Moonlander-CriticalMass15-0732.jpg

Moonlander-CriticalMass17-0737.jpg

Then over to Hillcrest and food.

Moonlander-CriticalMass23-1010409.jpg

Killing time before the ride we pedaled around the San Diego Zoo and then over to the San Diego Velodrome.

Moonlander-CriticalMass25-1010426.jpg

Definetely the wrong bike for this track.

Moonlander-CriticalMass28-1010441.jpg

Finally the starting point for Critical Mass, the fountain, outside the Reubin H. Fleet Museum.

Moonlander-CriticalMass30-1010447.jpg

Downtown San Diego with a mass of bicyclist.

Moonlander-GoPro-CriticalMass6-5040.jpg

Moonlander-CriticalMass31-1010448.jpg

Old Town, San Diego taking a quick break.

Moonlander-CriticalMass34-1010453.jpg

Then it was out to Ocean Beach and down the pier. We then finished up the ride with a trip through Pacific Beach and then back to Miles house.

CriticalMassMarch302012.jpg

Distance 53.1 miles
Elevation 1959 feet
Moving Average 9.8

sinuhexavier

Explorer
The perfect ride for the Moonlander is The needles District of Canyonlands all the way out to Beef Basin. Too sandy for regular tires perfect for your bike... Could be a cool trip.

Come ride Malibu sometime Justin...

Gear

Nice bike and pictures! That Iphone sure has become a capable picture shooter, ehh?

Love the bike. Thanks for the positive comments on the pictures and Yes the iPhone works very well. The long scenic shots are taken with the iPhone and the app. Pano.

Gear

Night Ride - April 1, 2012

Moonlander-NightRide-1010455.jpg

April Fools Day, also known around our house as Nathan's Birthday. So with all of the happenings around the big day. I chose to get out after everyone else was a sleep. The fountain in San Elijo Hills. Tonights shots were taken with the Panasonic Lumix. The night mode works well on this camera.

Moonlander-NightRide3-1010459.jpg

Up to the Fire Station #4.

Moonlander-NightRide4-1010462.jpg

Shot down and around for some night time trail riding. Short and sweet.

NightRide.jpg

Clockwise from the left.

Distance 6.7 miles
Elevation 885 feet
Moving Average 9.4 mph

Gear

The perfect ride for the Moonlander is The needles District of Canyonlands all the way out to Beef Basin. Too sandy for regular tires perfect for your bike... Could be a cool trip.

Come ride Malibu sometime Justin...

Hello Sinuhe,

I am sure the Needles District would be incredible. Hopefully someday I will get out there. Now Malibu is a little bit closer. PM me if you would like to ride. Or give me a starting point for Malibu and a direction. I am starting to look outside me local area. Everything is looking the same around here.

Thanks

Gear

Hidden Valley Bicycle - April 2, 2012

Moonlander-HiddenValleyBicycle5-0973.jpg

Nathan and his new Mirraco Bike. He is pretty jazzed about it. As soon as his elbow has a better range of movement, I am sure he is going to be all over the place.

Moonlander-HiddenValleyBicycle-0753.jpg

Todays ride lead me over to Escondido. I am now in search of a bike for my oldest son Ethan. Your up, 17 days and counting. The destination was Hidden Valley Bicycle. I am search around for different brands of BMX bikes. Hidden Valley cares Fit Bikes as well as others. My route lead me up and over the hill to Escondido. The photographs are of a new section of roads that I had not previously been on.

Moonlander-HiddenValleyBicycle2-0754.jpg

Looking back at Double Peak in San Elijo Hills.

Moonlander-HiddenValleyBicycle3-0757.jpg

Down the backside. Man this road was steep. Thank goodness I was going downhill and not up it.

Moonlander-HiddenValleyBicycle4-0758.jpg

Once down I used the Inland Rail Trail to make my way around. Pretty uneventful ride.

HiddenValleyBicycle.jpg

Distance 27.0 miles
Elevation 1920 feet
Moving Average 10.9 mph

SpyGame

I just finished reading all 22 pages of this thread, and I must say spectacular! I belong to many forums and this was one of the best threads ever.

As for Surly...I bought a Sun Spyder last summer and then bought a Pugsley for my business partner. No comparison. I have only ridden her Pug a few times but what a great bike. After reading this thread I am ordering a Moonlander this week.

chris_the_wrench

Fixer & Builder of Things
Moonlander-WaterTankTrail7-1010316.jpg

Cool hike a bike across the steam.

I rode this trail yesterday. It was super overgrown with weeds, but fortunately for me it looked like someone had rode through there on a two-wheeled tractor! :sombrero:

How are you getting from LaCosta Preserve over to Elfin Forest on trails?

-Chris

ducnut

Because of Surly's FB blog, I got here. Because of your thread, I've joined this forum.

I think you'd be a good candidate for a frame bag.
http://salsacycles.com/components/category/frame_bags/
http://revelatedesigns.com/
http://carouseldesignworks.com/

Also, the "funny bone" isn't a bone at all. It's actually the ulnar nerve that you'd be striking. Your son broke a piece off the anterior end of his humerus. I'm no doctor, but, have had numerous issues with that area of both my arms.

I look forward to reading more.

Sloan

Explorer
How are you transporting the Moonlander in your jeep? Do you break it down or do you have a rack? I have been carrying the Muk on a Thule T2 but you have to air down so far that I worry about pinch flats. Also it sucks pumping up a tire that size.

Gear

I just finished reading all 22 pages of this thread, and I must say spectacular! I belong to many forums and this was one of the best threads ever.

As for Surly...I bought a Sun Spyder last summer and then bought a Pugsley for my business partner. No comparison. I have only ridden her Pug a few times but what a great bike. After reading this thread I am ordering a Moonlander this week.

Thanks for the positive comments. I'm having fun and I think it is beginning to show. Post up when you get a Moonlander. I'd like to see a photograph of it cruising around Florida.

Someone at Surly has found your thread Gear! :bike_rider:

https://www.facebook.com/SurlyBikes

Yes, the cat is out of the bag! Hi Surly.

I rode this trail yesterday. It was super overgrown with weeds, but fortunately for me it looked like someone had rode through there on a two-wheeled tractor! :sombrero:

How are you getting from LaCosta Preserve over to Elfin Forest on trails?

-Chris

All send you a PM. It could be a long explanation.

Because of Surly's FB blog, I got here. Because of your thread, I've joined this forum.

I think you'd be a good candidate for a frame bag.
http://salsacycles.com/components/category/frame_bags/
http://revelatedesigns.com/
http://carouseldesignworks.com/

Also, the "funny bone" isn't a bone at all. It's actually the ulnar nerve that you'd be striking. Your son broke a piece off the anterior end of his humerus. I'm no doctor, but, have had numerous issues with that area of both my arms.

I look forward to reading more.

Welcome to Expo. Take a look around. Thanks for the explanation on the arm. I usually shy away from this knowledge, because the floor is hard when you hit it from fainting. All though with two boys I am slowly becoming more immune to this kind of stuff. As for the frame bag I emailed Scott at Porcelain Rocket. He sent me all of the info and then I dropped the ball. I guess I should look into this!

Thanks

How are you transporting the Moonlander in your jeep? Do you break it down or do you have a rack? I have been carrying the Muk on a Thule T2 but you have to air down so far that I worry about pinch flats. Also it sucks pumping up a tire that size.

Hi Sloan,
In the Jeep I have been pulling the front tire and sliding it inside. It is more stealth/secure like this. I have a Thule T2 that I use with this bike. I simple add a strap to the front tire. I do not air it down, but simple let it ride on top of the channel.

Last edited:

Gear

Houston we have a Problem, April 3, 2012

Moonlander-HoustonwehaveaProblem9-2.jpg

Riding home yesterday, I noticed an increasingly loud sound coming from the cranks. I thought it was the pedals as they do this every so often. Once home I took a look and sure enough my bottom bracket had about a millimeter of play in it. Uh oh, I thought I would be down for a couple of days. No way, it is a Moonlander and I am giving credit to Surly for building this into there design. With all of the salt water and sand that this area receives, it is going to fail, it is just a matter of time. So this morning I called the first shop(Bike Bling) that was open and headed off to find a fix. Turns out all I need was the bottom bracket parts. They had a Shimano XTR in stock and Al had the bike up and running in a matter of minutes. No more problem! On to the ride.

Moonlander-HoustonwehaveaProblem2-0788.jpg

Once the bike was fixed I chose to go to Daley Ranch because of its close proximity. A beautiful day!

Moonlander-HoustonwehaveaProblem3-0790.jpg

Moonlander-HoustonwehaveaProblem4-0791.jpg

One of the out buildings up at the ranch.

Moonlander-HoustonwehaveaProblem6-0798.jpg

Rode a lot of new trails but then I ran out of time. I will be back!

Moonlander-HoustonwehaveaProblem5-0795.jpg

DaleyRanch.jpg

Look at all those trails I missed!

Distance 15.1 miles
Elevation 2131 feet
Moving Average 7.8 mph

On a side note Nathan rode his bike to school today. So I am now back to picking up more milage as I use the bike as a shuttle to and from school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles