Why Tread Lightly!...?

Tread Lightly!

Observer
Happy Monday everyone! (Yes, I know... its a crime to be excited for a Monday, but still.)

Today's Tip of the Week takes on a different form... More of a discussion of the week.

Under the "Do Your Part" principle, we encourage all OHV enthusiasts to be ambassadors to not only the general public, but also within our community. This includes holding our peers accountable and promoting the Tread Lightly! ethic to those who may be unaware or uninterested... So here's the question:

Have you ever approached someone on the trail who was where they shouldn't have been, or doing something that could be considered irresponsible recreation? How did you handle that situation? What was the outcome?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
...My name is Justin Lilly, and i'm a Master Trainer for Tread Lightly!, as well as the former program coordinator for the Stay The Trail program in Colorado...

Did we meet at Cruise Moab last year (at Area BFE)? We had a brief chat about STT. Are you here in Utah now or working over the interweb?

Tread Lightly!

Observer
Did we meet at Cruise Moab last year (at Area BFE)? We had a brief chat about STT. Are you here in Utah now or working over the interweb?

Kurt, we did meet at Cruise Moab last year. Definitely appreciated the conversation around the bonfire.

I am working over the internet. I am in Alaska at the moment, and will be back in CO in September.

Tread Lightly!

Observer
Hope everyone is enjoying the start to the weekend!

Tip of the week:

Again, as part of both the "Educate Yourself" and "Do Your Part" principles, this week I am encouraging everyone to take a small amount of time out of your evening and complete our Online Awareness Course.

This online activity covers the basics of the Tread Lightly! principles and is a wonderful way to quiz your knowledge of what responsible recreation means to us as a community.

Enjoy: http://treadlightly.org/page.php/education-onlinecourse/Online-Awareness-Course

Also, everyone who completes the course is entered into a drawing for a free hat, courtesy of Cabelas.

Tread Lightly!

Observer
Good afternoon everyone!!

Tip of the week:

With the 4th of July holiday weekend rapidly approaching, we hope that you and your friends and families are making plans to head outdoors to enjoy some responsible fun and celebration. Since we figure (and hope) that many of you will be camping, we wanted to toss out a few reminders about campsite ethics.

- Look for previously-used campsites, and camp on durable surfaces.
- Campsites should be at least 200ft from water sources, other campsites, and trails. Pay attention to local regulations (MVUMs, etc) concerning how far your vehicle can be off the trail for camping.
- Keep a clean camp. Place food and other products with odors in animal-proof containers or back in vehicles.
- Follow the pack it in, pack it out guidelines. Police your camp before you leave to leave it in better condition than you found it.
- Campfires are not for waste disposal. Please do not leave trash in campfire rings, especially glass.

All that said, lets all cross our fingers for beautiful weather and get back to planning that perfect trip!

:D

Tread Lightly!

Observer
Good evening friends!

Decided to step it into a new direction this week. Instead of a tip of the week, we'd like to know the answer to a simple (potentially) question.

Why do you ride or wheel? Lets hear it. Where did you start? Who hooked you? Etc, etc.

:D

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Well, MyJeepRocks in Southern California was able to get the Forest Service to reopen one of the area's most popular trails (Holcomb Creek in Big Bear) after being closed for the past few years due to fire damage. A lot of blood sweat and tears went into getting that trail reopened (I think something like 12,000 man hours over the past 3 years), and July 4th was the first major weekend it was open. Hundreds of rigs enjoyed the trail!

Tread Lightly!

Observer
Well, MyJeepRocks in Southern California was able to get the Forest Service to reopen one of the area's most popular trails (Holcomb Creek in Big Bear) after being closed for the past few years due to fire damage. A lot of blood sweat and tears went into getting that trail reopened (I think something like 12,000 man hours over the past 3 years), and July 4th was the first major weekend it was open. Hundreds of rigs enjoyed the trail!

:wings:

NICE WORK!!! I saw the post on Pirate. This is a great example of us as a community keeping the good work up on maintaining our opportunities. Kudos to all involved!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste