Budget Xploder @ PINS edited w/ trailer pics

Erik N

Adventurer
Here is a pic of my $1600 Explorer POS down at PINS last weekend. I bought it specifically for heading there, I figure it it gets stuck and eaten by waves, no big deal.

The flies were terrible, the sargasso thick, and the fishing poor. Also the dog puked in the tent, and one of my kids got a nasty rash, but the trip was fun anyway. I'll be heading back in about 2 weeks, hopefully the conditions will improve by then.

I did drive by a huge "Texas Style" diesel pickup that was stuck in the seaweed... I would hate to have $60K-$80K of shiny new parts buried like that!

Attachments

• IMG_3892.jpg
    IMG_3892.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3909.jpg
    IMG_3909.jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I've always wanted to see Padre Island. Is it really that hard on trucks? I have done a lot of beach driving at Pismo and in Mexico. Whats the deal at Padre?

Erik N

Adventurer
Padre is nothing like that (read: cake). I did a lot of riding in the Pismo dunes back in the 70's-80's. I almost lost a vehicle at the water crossing there.

Of course, the vehicle was a '73 Pinto wagon, towing a trailer with 2 ATC's, 2 motorcycles, and a Honda Odyssey. Talk about a car that could take a beating... flat out second gear all the way across the river, airborne off the first then smashing thru the second 18" mini-cliff on each edge. Water and sand and steam everywhere. Almost lost the car to an overzealous bonfire on that trip, too. Scorched the driver's side pretty good.

No, Padre is extremely tame. After the coasts of the Pac NW and Mexico (I've driven on both), it would be a letdown for ya. But, I'm stuck here for a few years, so why not make the best of it, eh?

Last edited:

Erik N

Adventurer
Here is $1600 pulling out $50,000 during Supermoon last weekend.

IMG_3939.jpgIMG_3940.jpg

Also a pic of the stingray I hooked with my baitfish rod (7 foot, 10# test) that took an hour and a half to land. That was one pissed off ray!

IMG_3947.jpg

Glam shot:

Attachments

• IMG_3938.jpg
    IMG_3938.jpg
    442.8 KB · Views: 41

Erik N

Adventurer
Pics of the truck stuck in the seaweed?

I'm not sure exactly how he got stuck like that. He was running KM2's, looks like they just dug holes in the sand.

I am using the M&S tires that came on the Explorer (Michelin LTX), they do fine in the sand. I air them down to about 18psi.

Erik N

Adventurer
Went again last weekend. I made it all the way down to the Mansfield Channel, 60 miles. The way to do it is to drive the low tide of 0 feet of less, smooth driving on the hard sand, 35 mph. The fishing there was great!

The Budget explorer is doing well, considering it has been completely sprayed with saltwater over and over again.

Here's a pic of a souvenir I found.

Attachments

• IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    463.9 KB · Views: 47

FishAll50

Catching the Dream
Erik, sorry about the dog and kid but good karma for you for helping others. Nice ray - no doubt quite a fight. And kudos on landing the buoy.

Kevin, I've done the trip several times (in at park highway 22 down to Mansfield cut and back - total about 120 miles). All times in a Wrangler with 33's but only needed 4wd on a couple ocassions. 98% of time you can do 2wd with open diffs as long as you stay in that sweet spot between too wet surf area and too dry dunes. However be prepared to have to go into deeper sand if/when you encounter obstacles (washed up trees / fishing vessels / etc.) In those cases, get out, scout the area and keep enough momentum to get you through as it is usually a limited amount of travel you will need to do out of the sweet spot and back in. Of course, watch for rising tides. In a few areas (Big Shell and Little Shell beaches) you will drive on nothing but seashells.......these are areas where currents hit the coastline and dump significant deposits of shells - pretty neat esp if you have kids or a SO who likes collecting. As easy as I make it sound, always go prepared. I was still winched up/pull pal, snatch straps, shovel, highlift, water, food, communications, first aid kit, etc - it's more than a Sunday drive. You should also see a significant amt of wildlife for a beach area........I've seen some magnificent bucks come out of the dunes.

Note - also expect to be surprise by "the stuff" that you will see washed up on the beach. The farther you get away from the park area, the more you will see. Coconuts, plastics, lumber......much of it obviously from overseas. Prepare your kiddos and.or SO to stay away from anything questionable........I have seen medical supplies such as syringes washed up - could ruin a nice day at the beach.

Last edited:

kevint

Adventurer
Thanks Fishall50. I've been reading up on this. The shell beaches would be a big hit with my family.

I was still winched up/pull pal, snatch straps, shovel, highlift, water, food, communications, first aid kit, etc - it's more than a Sunday drive.

I drive a stock F-150 FX4. It has 4WD HI/LO and a rear locker. No winch. I don't have a hi-lift but carry a floor jack. This might work OK in the sand given the large surface area. I figured I'd air down to about 15 psi. I have 18 inch wheels (275/65R18)

I plan to carry some boards or plywood strips or something.

I may pull my Kamparoo camper as well.

Thanks.

Jimmeh

Think'n with me dipstick!
Gotta love a budget beater! I have been looking for that same body style to replace my Ranger as a all around vehicle so I can keep the Heavy Chevy as my low mileage expedition/road trip rig. People around here must think they are made with gold though!

Erik N

Adventurer
Another thing to be aware of is the salt water. While you can easily avoid the surf, slogging 60 miles down the soft, rough sand in 1st gear can be tedious at best. Shooting down (and back out) at low tide is the way to go, BUT you will end up spraying your truck with ocean water doing this. If you have a nice expensive rig with modern electronics, the salt water rinse would be bad news down the road...

I bought the Budget Explorer knowing this in advance, I figure it will be toasted in a few years.

BTW, the jetty at the southern tip is a freaking fishtopia! There were bull reds, sea trout, jack crevalle, sharks, flounder, all being caught at the same time. There was a school of spanish mackerel that had the baitfish cornered against the jetty rocks for hours, it was unbelievable watching them tear the place up!

Last edited:

11b4v

Adventurer
not a POS!

Here's my old 93 Exploder. It was a great truck that I gave away for $500 to an elementary school teacher desperately needing transportation.

When I handed him the keys, it had 213,854 miles and had never been in the shop!. I only replaced drive shaft seals, alternators, radiator, brake booster and a transmission modulator-all easy driveway fixes. I rode this truck hard exploring every dirt road between Mississippi and Georgia. It's got a great low
gear.

I had two inch lift springs up front, shackles in rear, Warn transformer picked up from a yard with a 'free' sign on it, Ramsey 9k, Surco rack from the local classifieds, and Hellas.

With my current commute, I wish I'd kept it as a third/back up vehicle. Congrats on your 1600 POS find, it should do you well.

campsite.jpg

Erik N

Adventurer
I'm going to change it's name from Budget Explorer to Budget Xploder. That has a nice ring to it!

As to being not a POS, so far, so good!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles